Playing With The Curves

lorenzoj

I had been working hard and thought I was doing ok coming to grips with the Huey.... landing more or less in one piece more often then not and in the same county as my intended landing zone.

I had tuned my axis per the recommendations of an experienced guy and when I just tried flattening the curves out a bunch my control and finesse increased dramatically.

Settings will vary with different gear and pilots but don't overlook the importance of tweaking the axis setups as it can make a big difference

Using curves, for pitch and roll, with the Huey does far more harm than good, IMHO.

The best change I have made was extending my stick, though that is not always easy or practical for everyone.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

What I found was...

When I 1st started flying it my control was so bad I increased my curves up to the 50's before it was comfortable. As I practiced and improved over time the stick throws started to feel long so I gradually backed them down.

I now fly at the same curves I use for fixed wing aircraft.

Interesting. Really flat worked wonders for me like cichlidfan said while Paganus went for highly curved initially.

Hopefully the point still is to check and vary your axis setup if you think the Huey is "uncontrollable".

Using curves, for pitch and roll, with the Huey does far more harm than good, IMHO.

The best change I have made was extending my stick, though that is not always easy or practical for everyone.

Surely you have had to make some adjustments to compensate for the extra throw of the stick now I know I have had to but then I did extend my stick by 700mm give or take a few mm.

Although I am not using any curves just had to add saturation to reduce the throw otherwise I was having to get up out of my seat to reach all the way forward with the stick that was funny.

Edited by jay43

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Mine are set flat to 65 and it´s really smooth, specially during hover. If you need an extra push on the stick just use trim to reach the 100%. Curved ones are unpractical for me, as your sensitivity changes dinamically, making it harder to control it.

Mine are set flat to 65 and it´s really smooth, specially during hover. If you need an extra push on the stick just use trim to reach the 100%. Curved ones are unpractical for me, as your sensitivity changes dinamically, making it harder to control it.

Yeah I messed with curves and it just felt worse.

I've started to use force trim more and more, I usually set it on the ground for forward flight and then just take off, I also noticed when using force trim I forgot to reset it during a landing and it seemed to make the landings even smoother.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

• 3 months later...