Dev field trip to record Mi-8MTV2 audio for DCS!

Recently a group of Belsimtek and ED devs took a field trip an airfield near Moscow to record sound samples of the Mi-8MTV2 helicopter for the upcoming DCS simulation. Besides the engine and rotor audio, the sim will also feature authentic sounds of all of the cockpit switches, knobs, electrical systems, pumps, and other elements of the helicopter. Each sound sample was recorded separately whenever possible for inclusion into the sim. In some cases, when a separate recording could not be made, the sound will be synthesized based on the sample audio. Primary audio (engines, rotors, systems) was recorded both from inside the cockpit and outside the helicopter. Engine and rotor audio was sampled during ground engine runs, hovering, and low flybys from different directions. Special recording equipment was used to capture quality audio samples despite the high wind speeds generated by the rotor blades.

We are looking forward to offering you a truly authentic and immersive audio experience in DCS: Mi-8MTV2. Currently our sound engineer is working with the captured audio and we expect that his samples will be ready for addition into the project within 5-10 days.

01.thumb.png.e1b50fec030e92b476c281984d55c01b.png 02.thumb.png.7bcb1ed490f8ceeea44eb736073b08ac.png 03.thumb.png.02f57d5d9b66bd7f556998ca1770cd59.png

07.thumb.png.61a62fe393de3115f4b7e800660647a8.png 11.thumb.png.fd4d815ae96895fef9b2a80a3361e287.png 12.thumb.png.92da2408f3a1513444e0ba0cfa86ec1c.png

Edited by EvilBivol-1
  • Like 2

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

nice work but shouldn't you be in the cockpit recording the starting sounds?:pilotfly::joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Really really nice, and glad you share that with us

Just a question : Were the Huey sound done the same way or... mostly synthesized ?

While I obviously recognize the Huey sound in sim, I heard two 205 A-1 ( from Pompiers du Var, the only two 205 here in France ) some days ago and was impressed on how slow and heavy the whoop whoop of the main blades was. Heavy and slow

I'm sure these Mi-8 sounds will just sound like the real beast, thank you bazillion times for that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Thanks for the Dev report, always interesting to read what goes on behind the scenes.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I have no doubt that this flight model will be all or more than the great UH-1H that they are about to release in full. I see the progressions in the evolution of helicopter flight that Belsimtek is taking and I think they’re spot on with their thinking.

The UH-1 is the less complicated aircraft (system wise) to learn on. While there might be a learning curve to overcome with the UH-1, once you get the hang of the UH-1, both in flight characteristics and systems, then it will be easier for folk to learn a more complex system like to MI-8, UH-60 or AH-64. Belsimtek is easing the DCS community into advanced helicopters in a clear and understandable manner. Two thumbs up to the developers and management of Belsimtek. Because I have real world experience flying helicopters, anything less than accurate would be a travesty. I will continue to purchase you’re products because I know they will supply me with the realistic flight experiences that I crave.

Again...thanks for your great work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

229th battalion, 1st Cavalry

• ED Team

Just a question : Were the Huey sound done the same way or... mostly synthesized ?

The original sample sound we recorded (correctly - for us recorded ) professionally in the United States (see att).

However, the samples are only a basis for sound! Hardly ever sound does not fit "as is"!

Sound_Record_TEam_for_UH-1H.PNG.f6e3822962506760400b0652a871c797.PNG

..and now short video-report on how we recorded the sounds of a real helicopter for the game DCS: Mi-8MTV2:)

Cool, thanks! :thumbup:

I just hope you don't use the sound from whatever device was used to record the video. :devil_2:

In the money!!! Thanks Belsimtek and of course, our Big Eagle Dynamics for this endeavor. God bless and looking forward to the mil-8

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.