Legal actions

What is EDs policy for using their code?

For example if i want to make a pink pony missile that is guided by EDs maveric flir script?

If i have no intention to publish this thing and make it just for my self.. Can ED put an law suit on me or something like that?

Flight sim addict, physics freak, mathematics degenerate :D

What is EDs policy for using their code?

There's probably something about it in the EULA (that you agreed to, in case you activated any of their products).

My guess: You're not allowed to do such a thing unless you have their express written permission.

It's different if you talk about modding something. There are tons of mods that change this or that behavior in the games, and AFAIK these are 100% legal. It's just that when you talk about "code", I assume that you mean something like reverse engineering, which I'm next to certain you're not allowed to do.

As a rule of thumb: Editing plain text data and configuration files (in case of ED sims, these are usually LUA files) won't be a problem. Adding or tweaking graphics and sounds won't be a problem. Rewriting/disassembling binaries probably will be a problem.

There's probably something about it in the EULA (that you agreed to, in case you activated any of their products).

My guess: You're not allowed to do such a thing unless you have their express written permission.

It's different if you talk about modding something. There are tons of mods that change this or that behavior in the games, and AFAIK these are 100% legal. It's just that when you talk about "code", I assume that you mean something like reverse engineering, which I'm next to certain you're not allowed to do.

As a rule of thumb: Editing plain text data and configuration files (in case of ED sims, these are usually LUA files) won't be a problem. Adding or tweaking graphics and sounds won't be a problem. Rewriting/disassembling binaries probably will be a problem.

I see.. Well thanks for help! ;)

Flight sim addict, physics freak, mathematics degenerate :D

If i have no intention to publish this thing and make it just for my self.. Can ED put an law suit on me or something like that?

Keep in mind that you do not and never will own the software.

As a consequence, anything you do with the software (so-called fruits-of-the-tree) are not yours to start with and never will be either, ie mods/missions etc etc do not belong to the authors thereof. Accordingly mod-makers have no proprietary rights to their mods at all, contrary to what some mod-makers might think, which statement obviously excludes third-party licence agreements concluded.

ED can accordingly do whatever they want whenever they want with mods and mod-makers. Whether, when or even if it's prudent to do so is another question entirely. It's all in the EULA :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As long as you don't make anything offensive like a missile that looks like a male body part you'd probably be fine. :thumbup:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down