74th vfs 'The Flying Tigers' to close shop. 'An ode'

Heli Shed

OK so this is a totally failure by ED in your mind regards of the wishes from the 74th? So where do you go for a flight SIM that is plug and play? Or are you quitting the flight SIM community all together?

Plug n Play - Flight Sim?

Hell...................any game mate. Time to enjoy gaming again for as little or as much time as is appropriate.

Edited by Tyger

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Without getting off-topic of Tygers thread, could you start a thread regarding this subject in the mission editor bugs section and post more specifics of the issues you typically have in this regard?

These are old bugs Grimes, can that really be of any interest? And are you saying there have not been problems with missions from one version to the next?

The majority of what I test is the mission editor, scripting engine and AI. These are all things I care about within the sim. If there are bugs with it, I need to know what those are so I can investigate and report it. Your post made it sound like there are some serious issues with the editor...

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Same here - no more new missions. Only editing existing ones. I'm not sure when I'll make another new one,,, maybe when SP testing works like MP play (Combined Arms, grrrr).

I am sympathetic to Tyger's complaints. I used to run a squadron in a galaxy far far away. Lots of time, and money and dedication. While my old mates have flown off in various directions, my heart is still in combat flight sims. This thread has been on my mind all day since I read it, and thinking about the other one about a 'Fractured DCS'. When I run my open server there are people who jump in and touch many slots, like they are looking for a FC3 simple plane to fly and when they don't find it they leave. Every time there is an update I cringe re that missions are not busted because buildings no longer exist or TORs shoot down MAVs or ships crash the game (how long did that take to fix for Heaven's sake?). Prop planes, why?? The A-10C and the Warthog from Thrustmaster brought me here.

Wrecking Crew

Smooth Operators Squadron

"We fly so that others may die!"

• Like 1

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Same here - no more new missions. Only editing existing ones. I'm not sure when I'll make another new one,,, maybe when SP testing works like MP play (Combined Arms, grrrr).

^^ This. Also mentioned earlier by Hijack. I'll leave my commentary to that for the proper thread (which I hope has already started.)

You guys are closing a door but in my eyes this is a huge opportunity for the rest of the community. Though the members of the 74th wholeheartedly agreed in a "you go, we go" withdrawal, I'm hoping to see that dedication, experience and spirit decentralized into a variety of other popular public servers. Perhaps only as individuals- but nonetheless still pillars within the DCS community. Perhaps we won't know all their names- but I suspect their composure, expertise and willingness to help others will expose the roots sowed with the 74th.

As a direct example, Bast has been coming into the firehouse and has ALWAYS taken time to help others with the KA50... We had that immitator in the Firehouse server trying to besmirch the 74th and Bast in the beginning- fortunately we were able to work through that together and the server has been better off as a result.

So while I too got a sinking feeling in reading your IP, I hope that spreading the spirit of the 74th across a broader spectrum may help further enrich the sim community.

ANY member of the 74th will be a welcome addition to the Firehouse!

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I dont know you or have never spoken to you on the forums, but some of your points regarding ED and its future path strike a chord with me.

As for No you no 74th.

Well as I said, I dont know you or havent spoken to you but, one man does not make a squad.

Why, if they still? want to play dcs can they not carry on without your continual guidance for the time being ? someone could take over the reigns albeit on a temp basis or even have a few ppl in control or every few months the reigns are handed to someone else int he squad so that everyone gets involved with the day to day running of the squad.

I know that being completely involved in something wears thin and time off is needed, why not close down for six months to a year and come back ? and in the meantime those who are still in the wing can continue doing whatever they wish to do.

If you have got 4 years worth of time in this sim then you WILL comeback, I dont know anyone who hasnt got sick of lockon and its successors to some degree or another and binned it for a few months to a year and then came back.

Anyway, I dont know you or any of your squad mates and dont know how they feel about this whole situation, so whatever happens now and in the future i wish you the best of luck.

• Like 1

one man does not make a squad.

+1

Like one squad is not DCS Community with a big C. I am not saying that it is not sad, but please, don't tell us it is a bad day for the whole DCS community... so pretentious !!! it is for 74th individualities, that is it. But all other squads will keep breathing, with talented guys everywhere, maybe even more than 74th guys, maybe not.

I dont know anyone who hasnt got sick of lockon and its successors to some degree or another and binned it for a few months to a year and then came back.

I did a 2005 => 2013 break :sad_2:, after huge online activity from Flanker v2.0 :pilotfly: No one cares ? Why should they ? :D

so whatever happens now and in the future i wish you the best of luck.

+1

Edited by galevsky06
  • Like 1

PS...DCS isn't as broken as portrayed in the first post, not perfect, has it's issues, but far from broken.

Not broken, but leaves much to be desired. A lot of empty unfulfilled promises. Having said that, I'll personally still fly DCS, because frankly, it has no competition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A lot of empty unfulfilled promises.....

Could you link me to said promises? I don't recall any such 'promises'. Would not want new members potentially labouring under a misapprehension.

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team

There is probably not one person on here that can say they are 100% happy and dont want for anything else, that said they havent broken any promises, or made any promises that I know of. I see more growing pains than anything else, they went to just a couple sims that didnt work together to DCS World, working on updated IG, 3rd Party integration, expanding to other markets, upgrading of FC3 planes, just to name a few things. I think if you look at the big picture things are heading to some awesome times, if you focus is narrowed, well then maybe not so much.

Not broken, but leaves much to be desired. A lot of empty unfulfilled promises. Having said that, I'll personally still fly DCS, because frankly, it has no competition.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

*Originally Posted by*bumfire*As for No you no 74th.Well as I said, I dont know you or havent spoken to you but, one man does not make a squad.

For my part I am really sad to see Tyger go. DCS has lost a great community member much of the reason is due to the way the game/product/community is managed. I myself have nearly quit 3 times in 18 months due to game issues (poor atc, sinking into runways, lag from smoke/cbu's etc), what are (in my humble and respectful opinion) poor choices from ED regarding progress towards EDGE, Nevada and F/A18c and of course the misery of keeping a mission 'current' when patches often wreak havoc.

I agree with the view that the game may not be perfect but does mostly work - but lots of little things add up. It did for T and its truly a sad loss and he has paid a great personal price for his commitmemt to the 74th..

To those that say 1 man does not make a squadron, T would be the first to agree. However, nearly 15 74th members have unanimosly told T in one way shape or form that he may well be the exception that proves the rule and that they dont want to fly as 74th under anyone else. For those that take exception to this if you are not/were not in the 74th you may wish to consider reserving judgement for those who were. I dont mean to sound offensive but in their own way each member of the 74th has largely made the same point. It could be a case of "you don't know man - you weren't there".

For my part, T's departure and the closure of the 74th may well end up as a void I never fill, and I really do not relish the thought of going back to being a lone wolf. Flight simming at HiFi level is a niche market thats probably shrinking (hence ED's move towards LoFi FC3 etc). The number of squadrons are shrinking and its becoming harder and harder to fly with a group of like minded pilots at the HiFi end of the game - for most people, flying and certainly running a VFS at that level is too much of a commitment and too much pain.

T did it for 4 years or more.

T - I salute you, for everything you have done for the 74th and everything you have done for this community. Its above and beyond the call.

-Sharpe

(PS: Sorry for typos. On fone using fumbs)

Edited by Sharpe_95
  • Like 1

To those that say 1 man does not make a squadron, T would be the first to agree. However, nearly 15 74th members have unanimosly told T in one way shape or form that he may well be the exception that proves the rule and that they dont want to fly as 74th under anyone else. For those that take exception to this if you are not/were not in the 74th you may wish to consider reserving judgement for those who were. I dont mean to sound offensive but in their own way each member of the 74th has largely made the same point. It could be a case of "you don't know man - you weren't there".

No need to be sect member to say that guru is nothing without followers :music_whistling:

Flight simming at HiFi level is a niche market thats probably shrinking (hence ED's move towards LoFi FC3 etc..

I think you missed some posts :doh:

ED announced this plan: bringing A/A aircrafts to HiFi level with DCS: Su-27, DCS: F15C, and DCS: F/A-18 also on the go. With intermediate deliveries to finance long-term projects. Let me remind you that if they did not plan this roadmap, there was absolutely no HiFi Air Combat alternative !

It is the contrary to what you say. Maybe you disagree with this roadmap... personnaly I feel very good :thumbup:

for most people, flying and certainly running a VFS at that level is too much of a commitment and too much pain.

Sure. You were so unique, on top of every other squad on earth.... I suggest to close all other VFS in respect to that black day.

Wait.... I was kidding :megalol:

Edited by galevsky06
  • Like 2

No need to be sect member to say that guru is nothing without followers :music_whistling:

I think you missed some posts :doh:

ED announced this plan: bringing A/A aircrafts to HiFi level with DCS: Su-27, DCS: F15C, and DCS: F/A-18 also on the go. With intermediate deliveries to finance long-term projects.

It is the contrary to what you say.

Sure. You were so unique, on top of every other squad on earth.... I suggest to close all other VFS in respect to that black day.

Wait.... I was kidding :megalol:

Something tells me you are rather missing the point and trolling for laughs.

1 ) I have never said 74th was better than anyone else. I said HiFi VFS's were rare, getting rarer and are hard to run.

2) As far as I am aware no one from the 74th has said that the 74th closing is a loss to the community. For my part its a personal loss and I think most members are of the same mind (a reasonable position I think). If you doubt that T as an individual has not made an impact on the ED community - look around, its not just the 74th saying it.

'Close all the squadrons down, the 74th are up themselves' - Is that really all you took from this whole thread?

"We have two ears and one mouth, wise people listen twice as much as they talk".

-I'm not kidding.

-Sharpe

• Like 1

Wow!

Some really nice posts. Thanks.

It was not an intention to start a thread where my own personal frustrations with the sim were discussed, outed, ripped apart, judged or slamdunked. Jesus.

Bottom line. I ran out of oomph. For me it aint there anymore. The waiting for 'nirvana' or whatever we All think DCS Nirvana is, just seems to be getting further away. Infact, i dont think its measurable anymore. I made the post because i have a lot of DCS buddies and have been very active in the community. I didn't want to just disappear, and fold a vfs (after speaking to members) without at least saying 'thanks...........its been emotional'.

Time. I dont have it to invest to DCS anymore. I have time to fire up a game for about an hr a night if that and have actually enjoyed fantastic graphics and smooth gameplay. Play another one the next day, different ball game. I almost forgot what that was like.

So for those that just wanna troll, who have nothing better to do than mire a genuine 'thank you' post, get a life. Hell, get a bloody job. It is fair to say that the conduct, opinionated judgements that are unfounded by some on here, ED forums, is a very small part of the reason.

At the end of the day, it all adds up.

Smiley, smiley,....................bye.

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG