TFT or CRT 1600x1200

Are there any performance differences for a videocard when you use a CRT or TFT with a resolution of 1600 x 1200? (i mean which is more demanding on the card).

Which resolution is preferrable, 1280 x 960 or 1600 x 1200 for FC

Thanks

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

Obviously the higher the resolution the better but there will be a perfomace drop when you swich to 1600x1200. The GFX wont care less about the monitor plugged in perfomance wise. All it takes to influence the cards perfomace is wht resolution your at. Youll only get 1600x1200 on some special big (and expensive) TFT's. Otherwhise you have to go for a CRT.

I currently have one 19" TFT but its max res is 1280x1024.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

come on people, there is a dedicated tech thread for all non game releated tech stuff. you only gonna keep pissing off the mods by making them move threads there.

the higher the rez, the more demanding on the video card it is.

Thanks for your reaction!

Sorry, but this is the most read thread, and not always on topic

I asked this because in the near future a like to buy a TFT, but did not decide yet what resolution because resolution on 19'' screens are fixed, as are 20'' screens, and prices are lowering, any suggestions?

Thanks

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

na, it all depends, some lcd monitors have there resolution locked, so it cant go above its native, but some will easily allow you to go to 1900x1200 easily, just look for a monitor that does so.

the dell monitors are magic, the 2005 ones, i cant recall the exact type, but they are dear but they allow resoultion of higher than 2000x i dunno

na, it all depends, some lcd monitors have there resolution locked, so it cant go above its native, but some will easily allow you to go to 1900x1200 easily, just look for a monitor that does so.

the dell monitors are magic, the 2005 ones, i cant recall the exact type, but they are dear but they allow resoultion of higher than 2000x i dunno

They may allow it, but the pixel size on a TFT screen is fixed by the physical characteristics of the screen. Above native res, the size of each individual pixel doesn't get any smaller and hence you don't get any improvement in quality.

Remember that at high res you need less AA, so you get a bit of performance back.

When choosing between CRT and TFT, the only thing I'd really worry about these days is deskspace. Need deskspace, get a TFT, no worries. Don't need it, you can still buy a TFT, but a good CRT still, just, has the edge.

Mine can go up to 1680x1050 (skiping the resolutions between that have abcdx1024) But the image quality is not ideal. This is because the pixel size cant keep up. You need at least .264mm wich is typical of only 17" monitors.

My PC specs below:

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

i never said they would look as good as there native rez is, i just merely stated that some are locked and cant go higher and others will allow you to go higher. mine is b0rked, if i put mine up past its native, i get some weird shit happening, but if i reduce refresh rate from 75hz to 60 and put it up then its crap for desktop. 60 is bad for my lcd, pic quality is crap, 72-75 is the sweet spot.

I have 3 rezs for this thing, 800x640 i think, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 , they are its native, now if i go higher at 75hz than 1280, its a no go, i need to have eyes like a rabbit that can see 360 degrees, cuz it starts to pin cushion and bend. now if i come down to 60, then i can go to 1600x1200 before it goes out of range but it rolls and is a fuzzy mess before it does go out of range. I could never ever run a game at anything past my native, but as i said the pic quality is crap on desktop and when it comes to games its nicer looking than the desktop for some reason ? but still an unviewable mess. as bgp says, you need less AA with higher res, but thats for a totally bigger monitor, not adjust a small screen to a large one, any text or things like that on my screen become either so small to read or just a garbled mess or the screen rolls and stuff and you cant read it. basically the monitor is saying turn me the fux down. Its also impossible to look at for any lenght of time as it gives me a sore head, and most probably will damage the monitor in the process.

if you want huge, dell are releasing a 30 inch lcd, also nec have one same with apple. but you would need a 7800gtx to run them properly,

Sorry, but this is the most read thread, and not always on topic

Wasserfall,

I dont care - if your topic is computer hardware related, then use the damn "Tech discussion" section for it! :mad:

- JJ.

JJ

You cannot, under any circumstances, exceed the "native" resolution of an LCD monitor. The native resolution represents the actual number of pixels present on the panel. On an LCD panel with a native resolution of 1280x1024, there are 1310720 actual pixels. You can select a resolution lower than the native resolution, but you're not giving the monitor a complete picture. It literally has to fill in the gaps by guessing what should be there. Example:

You have a panel with a native resolution of 1280x1024, but you're running it at a resolution of 1024x768. Your monitor is only receiving information for 786432 pixels, but must display 1310720 pixels. Your monitor is using an algorithm to fill in the remaining 524288 pixels based on what you've given it to work with. Sometimes it works out ok. Sometimes it fails miserably.

This is why things don't look as good when you run an LCD below it's native resolution. Tends to look blurry, things aren't "crisp," etc.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

could that not work the other way around ? like you have a res of 1280x11024 = 1310720 pixels.

So instead of the algorithim working out missing pixels, it could work out extra ones and try to squeeze a higher res into them, so the pixels display slightly differntly, ok the same number of pixels will always be showing, but maybe it will make things smaller, so instead of something taking up 2 pixels, the algorithim makes it ony take up one ?

I dont know jack about monitors and how they work, so i am most probably wrong here, but if the alogrithim can adjust and make things smaller by 1, then that could give you the illusion that the screen is bigger ?

example.

it takes 4 pixels to display a dot . now if we could get it to be a dot but with only 2 pixels. then we have room to display more stuff on screen but it would also make stuff on the screen look smaller.

Do that to the whole screen and as i say, would that not make you get more stuff displayed onto the screen but they would be half as big ?

if anyone knows about monitors and can say if that is possible, it probably isnt but if they can answer that question as i aint got a fuxing clue :)

its probably a stupid ass question from me, but there ya go its me what else did ya expect :p

Scot, that would require an GFX algortim to process that information and probably the workload would be so great that you would need a second card in SLI just for it. IMHO it would be better worth get a bigger screen, perhaps you would even save system resourses and some money along with it.

The way I see it increasing the rez beyond the native res only produces smaller items (bigger virtual area on the same phical area) and wider view but with degraded quality.

The only other way to make 1280x1024 apear to be higher res is to add some AA to it. It does some of the same stuff you just described.

My PC specs below:

... if anyone knows about monitors and can say if that is possible, it probably isnt but if they can answer that question as i aint got a fuxing clue :) ...

Yes, it is possible to display for example 1920x1080 signal on let's say 1280x1024 monitor - but as far I know most of TFTs don't support it. Monitor basically could take 2.75 (or whatever the downconverting ratio is) source signal pixels and display them as single pixel on monitor. It can use the same algorithm as almost any slideshow viewer uses to display pictures from your 5-megapixel digital camera on your 1.3 (or whatever) megapixel monitor.

However to not have "shivering" pixels in video it requires quite a processing power - that's probably why it is not common. If you are thinking about it - the monitor is doing antialiasing for you - taking oversampled picture and downsampling it - so if your monitor support it then you could use it instead of turning on antialiasing on your graphics card.

There are also external up/down-converters you could use - such as ones here: http://www.dvdo.com

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

ah, i see, well thanks dudes for pointing out the finer aspects of pixels and monitors to me ;)

that dvdo looks amazing, but at $9000 = to rich for me :(

... that dvdo looks amazing, but at $9000 = to rich for me :(

Well, I see recommended price for their latest product at $2,000, so you could probably buy it at around $1,600 somewhere online.

FYI, if you plan to buy one of these for your HDTV, make sure it is HDCP compliant - otherwise you will be sorry when you discover that your upcoming HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies won't play in HD resolution ... (!!!) ... I kind of feel sorry for all early buyers of HDTV televisions - the same surprise is awaiting them too ... BTW - this is also true for most of computer monitors - unless they don't support HDCP - they won't play HD DVDs in hi-res without some kind of (currently-illegal) hack ...

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

ya, also as far as i know, from nvidia anyway, i may be wrong but only the 7800gtx supports hdtv the 6800s dont, as i say i could be wrong but thats what i am lead to believe, just like the 78s can get huge resolutions due to its dvi-d ports instead of the normal dvi-i i think it is, where resolutions cant be set as high.

I may have the ports named wrongly, but the ports on the 78s are slightly different compared to earlier cards, even tho they make look the same.

Not sure if i have ever tried watching hdtv files threw my cards yet tho, I seem to recall CSI being hdtv but i cudnt get sound, but it may not of been hdtv and it may of been something else. I really cant remember.

Whatever it was it never gave me sound but it gave me a picture. but for some reason am thinking it was hdtv copies from the states.

What screen resolution is mostly used by you all?

Thanks

I use 1280x1024, but I'm going to try 1600x1200 again. The FPS loss was only 1-3 I think. The reason I switched back to 1280 was because the menu screen was small.

1280x960 here on a 21" CRT Sony (got it for 50€ from my company where all those huge monsters were replaced by TFTs ;)). 1600x1200 makes the text a bit too small for my taste as well, and I can't afford any FSAA with that resolution in Lock On.

In general I like the flexibility with resolutions that a CRT provides, and I still think the image is a superior (but not by much anymore these days). I didn't like carrying it around though when moving last year :p

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

I use 2048x1536x32 with 2x AA and 16x AF on a CRT

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

I use 2048x1536x32 with 2x AA and 16x AF on a CRT

Hi MonnieRock,

FX-60? :icon_syda

Have you won the lottery or something? :beer:

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |