Tricks for raw speed

dooom

I am fine with cruise and even e power for a dogfight but can anyone offer insights to just max my raw speed? I struggle in my air racing and pursuit of fleeing bandits

Thanks!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

If you're talking about going fast while being approximately straight and level, the two big factors I can think of are keeping the ball centered and minimizing your control inputs. If you're talking about trying to stay as fast as possible while turning, that's more difficult. Keeping the ball centered is again a good idea here, as is staying as far away from maximum alpha as possible while maintaining a reasonable turn. More alpha, more Gs, more drag.

but whats your manifold pressure and prop pitch settings ? there has to be an absolute best setting when assuming the airframe is trimmed.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

Dont want to derail your thread but would you mind sharing your engine managment insights for dogfighting? Im enjoying very much learning the mustang but engine mangement has been a problem for me. I guess i have been spoiled by the more modern aircraft

but whats your manifold pressure and prop pitch settings ? there has to be an absolute best setting when assuming the airframe is trimmed.

If you read the documentation you'll find a number of different power settings. If you want maximum sustained power, that's something like 46" manifold, and 2700rpm.

If you want to go as fast as you can go, then it's 3000rpm, full MP, and then press "e" for war emergency power.

You can also get more speed by controlling the radiator manually. Keep it open just enough for cooling, but not so much that it is extra drag. The auto-radiator does a pretty sloppy job of it.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

As Gav mentioned, max sustained is the best power setting for long-term flying. Military power is good for a while, but will eventually start to damage the engine, if you try to fly around at mil power all day. War Emergency Power is the one you need for absolute maximum speed, but you can only keep this up for a few minutes even with a lot of airspeed, because the engine will very quickly overheat. If you're at slow speed while you're at WEP (such as while climbing steeply), you can destroy your engine in seconds.

Just a side note: Has anyone blown an engine at Full Military Power while actually getting good airflow over the coolant radiator? (rad full open as suggested by Yo-Yo) Not that it is recommended, but I've flown some pretty lengthy engagements with full power the entire time and no adverse effects. Now WEP is a different story, I'm quite certain that is caused by exceeding the limits of the engine internals and issues with fuel detonation. Not sure what octane fuel is modeled, but it did have a direct correlation with what maximum manifold pressure rating the engine obtained at the time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Quick question what exactly is Full Military Power? Is that maximum Manifold Pressure, or is it a special setting like WEP??

For the DCS P-51D it is 61' Manifold Pressure & 3000 RPM. It's the "redline" of the two gauges.

Basically, both the Throttle and Prop Lever (RPM) full forward or "firewalled" without engaging WEP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There isn't a pitch setting per se, we have a propeller RPM lever. It's a constant speed propeller, so it automatically adjusts pitch to maintain the desired RPM.

And there isn't really a magic MP and RPM combination that will make you go faster, other than to push them both to their maximum. If you're trying to outrun somebody you just have to avoid jerky movements that bleed off speed and maybe at the right moment kick in WEP for the allowable 5 minutes. I'd probably get in a steady dive and get down on the deck. I'm sure if you're having a lot of trouble bugging out from a fight it's a matter of how you steer your aircraft vs. how your enemy is steering his. Also, keep in mind that there are much more opportune times to bug out than others, so try to recognize when it's necessary and get out of danger before they're all over your tail.

For the DCS P-51D it is 61' Manifold Pressure & 3000 RPM. It's the "redline" of the two gauges.

Basically, both the Throttle and Prop Lever (RPM) full forward or "firewalled" without engaging WEP.

A slight correction: both the throttle and prop lever full forward or firewalled, without having yet engaged WEP since spawning in the aircraft at the beginning of the mission. If you haven't used WEP yet that flight, pushing the joystick slider all the way forward pushes the virtual P-51 throttle only up to the wire (which gives you military power, assuming you're at max RPM--that is, propeller lever all the way forward--which you should be if you're going to throttle up that much). Hitting the WEP key while you're at military power breaks the wire and pushes the virtual throttle all the way to the firewall, giving you WEP (again, assuming you are at max RPM). Now that the wire has been broken, then for the rest of that flight (until you end mission or respawn), pushing your joystick slider all the way forward will push the virtual throttle all the way to the firewall, giving you WEP. Hope that made sense.

Edited by Echo38
  • Like 1

A slight correction: both the throttle and prop lever full forward or firewalled, without having yet engaged WEP since spawning in the aircraft at the beginning of the mission. If you haven't used WEP yet that flight, pushing the joystick slider all the way forward pushes the virtual P-51 throttle only up to the wire (which gives you military power, assuming you're at max RPM--that is, propeller lever all the way forward--which you should be if you're going to throttle up that much). Hitting the WEP key while you're at military power breaks the wire and pushes the virtual throttle all the way to the firewall, giving you WEP (again, assuming you are at max RPM). Now that the wire has been broken, then for the rest of that flight (until you end mission or respawn), pushing your joystick slider all the way forward will push the virtual throttle all the way to the firewall, giving you WEP. Hope that made sense.

Fair enough. If you used WEP... you will get WEP. Checking the gauges is the best indicator, not examining the safety wire gate. The easiest way to tell if you are at Full Military Power is, as I stated, 61' and 3000 RPM OR we can just say Full Military Power is not equal to WEP. :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aye. I just wanted to clarify that the first time you use WEP, hitting the key not only breaks the wire but also firewalls the throttle. After that, you just use the throttle & prop lever to choose your power setting. I'm totally with you on using the gauges--whenever someone asks me what percent my throttle is at, I wince.

Thanks guys . I guess it's the sustained power I'm looking for. I am looking for optimal speed for sustained pursuit.

.... Looking at you Sgt willzah ;)

I wouldn't recommand using the WEP that much, the necessary hassle of managing the engine after enabling it is very damanding, so I'd use the WEP at only the most dire moments.

Also for maximum speed at low alt, try switching the mixture to rich, haven't tested it but someone gave that tip as the air is very rich at low atlitude so the engine can use a richer mixture and might get some more HPs.

I wouldn't recommand using the WEP that much, the necessary hassle of managing the engine after enabling it is very damanding, so I'd use the WEP at only the most dire moments.

Also for maximum speed at low alt, try switching the mixture to rich, haven't tested it but someone gave that tip as the air is very rich at low atlitude so the engine can use a richer mixture and might get some more HPs.

I think that is good advice about the mixture as everything in the actual documentation advises to use Auto-Rich on takeoff and landing. I remember you mentioning it on the server the other night and I have tried it since, but I see no signs of any performance gains in the sim from changing the mixture. As far as keeping the engine cool, it may have a gradual effect on engine temps but I didn't see anything change during my few tests.

Anyone seen different?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm feeling dumb... would somebody help a clueless newbie out?

Where is the option to change the keybinding for WEP? What is it labeled in the options-controls menu? I've read every item in the list, and don't see anything like WEP.

It is labeled 'War Emergency Power' and it is under the 'Flight Controls' section. The default key is 'E'.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Okay, so I'm not going crazy this time. But something is definitely wrong...

In my Flight Controls page, there is no listed entry for War Emergency Power. It just isn't there. I checked both in P-51D Sim and P-51D Game.

If I change to All and press E in order to find what that key is bound to, nothing changes. It isn't bound to anything.

What could possibly cause this problem? :huh:

I've changed a few keybindings from default, but am very certain I never saw any entry for WEP.

There are two possibilities that come to mind. First, the remote possibility that you are running a very old version of the sim (possibly even a beta version of P-51), though I would guess not.

The other possible cause would be a corrupt file.

Try renaming ..\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\P-51D\keyboard.lua and restart the sim. This will cause a new keyboard.lua to be created when you open the Options>Controls screen and should fix the problem. This will, of course, remove any changes that you have made.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There are two possibilities that come to mind. First, the remote possibility that you are running a very old version of the sim (possibly even a beta version of P-51), though I would guess not.

The other possible cause would be a corrupt file.

Try renaming ..\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\P-51D\keyboard.lua and restart the sim. This will cause a new keyboard.lua to be created when you open the Options>Controls screen and should fix the problem. This will, of course, remove any changes that you have made.

Thank you! Problem is resolved. :thumbup:

Both of your imagined possibilities may have had something to do with it. I first bought the P-51 beta last year, but for one reason or another never got around to actually flying it until recently. Also, immediately after updating to 1.2.5 the sim crashed and wiped out my campaign progress, so it seems likely some other files could have been corrupted then.

Thanks again. :)

Good deal. The first (possibly the first couple) beta of P-51 did not have the WEP function. Even if you updated, but did not delete your saved games folder, you would have been left with an old keyboard lua with that ( and possibly others ) function missing.

I'd prefer the key press to always toggle WEP rather than pressing the key changing the throw of my throttle in game but not in my hand.

Maybe that could be an option.

Maybe that could be an option for game mode. In the real thing there was a wire that was broken to allow the throttle to move past red-line settings. It was up to the pilot to manage manifold pressure after this was done. WEP was, as the name says, used as an emergency tool to get a pilot out of trouble. It was not intended to be a "boost" button and the engine and components paid a price when it was used. I believe when the ground crew saw the broken wire it was call to shorten the time between engine re-builds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]