i7 920 to haswell opinions.

Hi guys ive been considering upgrading my cpu for a while. I have an i7 920 overclocked to 3.6. My video card is a nvidia gtx titan and i feel that my cpu is seriously holding it back in dcs world.

I understand that dcs is pretty cpu dependant so my main concern is how much of a boost would i see going from my cpu to a 4770k in dcs.

If you're looking to save money go with the i7 2600K. I run SLI'd superclocked Titans on 2.0 slots and still have a significant increase in performance.

If money is not a matter, definitely buy it and overclock to 4.5Ghz :D

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Well i am willing to spend the money if the improvment is really noticable if not id rather wait another gen. If im going to get a 30+% gain in performance i would do it but for 10 - 15 % i th8nk i would rather wait. I am just not quite sure how much my cpu is holding my performance or if it is mostly due to poor optimisation of the engine

Well i am willing to spend the money if the improvment is really noticable if not id rather wait another gen. If im going to get a 30+% gain in performance i would do it but for 10 - 15 % i th8nk i would rather wait. I am just not quite sure how much my cpu is holding my performance or if it is mostly due to poor optimisation of the engine

You should get at least an Ivy Bridge or Haswell processor. For DCS I would recommend the i5 processors as they handle single threaded applications like DCS just as well if not better than i7 processors. The i7 920 was an excellent processor in its day, but it is 5 years old, ancient in the computer world.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

920 to haswell

Google I7 920 vs Haswell. Most say an overclocked I7 920 will see very little difference. I am sure you will see a boost but nothing like 20%. More like 5%. It also depends on of course the software running. I was disappointed in the numbers myself. I have two machines with I7 2600K's. One machine has two 580's. And DCS does not take advantage of SLI.

I ordered a I7 3770K which was about 10.00 cheaper than the new 4770 Haswell. I am building a new machine. I have two 780's I will use along with a new mother board and memory. Why I did not go with the new Haswell.....after reading about the differences and what I will use the new computer for, I chose this configuration. With the new Edge engine I hope it will take advantage of the new technology. The I7 2600K will be about 15% slower than the 3770K possibly even less.

I had trouble finding a Asus Deluxe board to run my 3770k. Asus does make a Deluxe version for the Haswell. I have used the Deluxe version Asus boards in several builds. They are OK.

I do not see a lot of increase between any of the newer gen cpu's. They are all fast....and depending again on the software some do better than others. Anyway my 2 cents. :D

Lazduc

Well the thing is that my current right pretty much handles anything i throw at it. I know my cpu is outdated but it still manages to do well paired up with the titan. I game at 2560X1440 res so the video card is the one pulling the weight in most situations. The only performance issues ive had are the typical ones in dcs. You know cluster bombs, cannon fire on the p51, flying through an area with a lot of units and ai going on. I would assume that these instances are were the cpu is important and i also know that the game does have some performance issues regarding these instances.

That is the part i dont really know about. Im not sure if it is simply a matter of optimization of the engine ( which means wait till edge comes out) or if my cpu is really the one holding me down. Obviously both things play a factor. My dilemma is whether i would see a big enough improvement to justify an upgrade. Once again keep in mind that im not concerned about stuff outside dcs becauae my system handles them fine.

.. My dilemma is whether i would see a big enough improvement to justify an upgrade ...

Not worth the effort at the moment. Wait for EDGE and maby next CPU from Intel. I run the new Hasswell i7 4770K at 4.2 and still can not run all settings and options at max. I do have a stable 60 fps with most of them at max but yesterday after upgrading to 1.2.5 at some point in a mission I was down to 7 fps. Don't know why at the moment but is investigating it tonight.

Not worth the effort at the moment. Wait for EDGE and maby next CPU from Intel. I run the new Hasswell i7 4770K at 4.2 and still can not run all settings and options at max. I do have a stable 60 fps with most of them at max but yesterday after upgrading to 1.2.5 at some point in a mission I was down to 7 fps. Don't know why at the moment but is investigating it tonight.

That sounds more like a software issue than anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Google I7 920 vs Haswell. Most say an overclocked I7 920 will see very little difference. I am sure you will see a boost but nothing like 20%. More like 5%. It also depends on of course the software running. I was disappointed in the numbers myself. I have two machines with I7 2600K's. One machine has two 580's. And DCS does not take advantage of SLI.

I ordered a I7 3770K which was about 10.00 cheaper than the new 4770 Haswell. I am building a new machine. I have two 780's I will use along with a new mother board and memory. Why I did not go with the new Haswell.....after reading about the differences and what I will use the new computer for, I chose this configuration. With the new Edge engine I hope it will take advantage of the new technology. The I7 2600K will be about 15% slower than the 3770K possibly even less.

I had trouble finding a Asus Deluxe board to run my 3770k. Asus does make a Deluxe version for the Haswell. I have used the Deluxe version Asus boards in several builds. They are OK.

I do not see a lot of increase between any of the newer gen cpu's. They are all fast....and depending again on the software some do better than others. Anyway my 2 cents. :D

Lazduc

Agree! The 3770k is probably the best current CPU for the money and it is also the one with most OC potential. It is also reported that the 4770k in general runs hotter.

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current CPU's are tailored towards mobile market and they suck for desktop. There will be a refresh of haswell 1 year from now, with 8 cores maybe that'll be worth it (maybe not for DCS but some other titles like star citizen).

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

In terms of synthetic performance the Haswell chips are about 5-15% faster. The Haswell architecture sees the biggest improvements for mobile and low power systems but to say it sucks for desktops is not accurate. If you are coming from IB to Haswell it's not worth the upgrade but anything older and you should consider Haswell for at least one reason.

Haswell changed sockets again so if you do decide to go IB you will be on a dead end yet again.

they are hotter too, so having unlocked multipliers makes that performance difference somewhat moot.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P