VRpit Warthog Extension MOD/Plans

Flim

We are pleased to offer plans/parts to extend your thrustmaster Warthog into a full fledged center stick. This mod offers a nice feel and some spring to counter the grip weight. The movement or throw of the stick can be adjusted by screwing the bottom mount up or down. Need help flying the Huey?... this mod makes a big difference!

The printed parts can be ordered of shapeways for now until I can make parts again!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/vrpits

8194D2F8-D73D-42FF-A3F0-23C7F079E6E1-2831-0000015BDE203580.jpg

3485AC99-CF82-4C13-8AEB-87BAAF70749E-2831-0000015BD2140DB2.jpg

28C474CF-4FA4-45D3-9D5F-BAB28F69F85C-9475-0000050FA8F5A0BF.jpg

Edited by Flim

Hi Flim,

nice design and awesome seat! I like the idea of the springs to give it a more realistic feel.

I have some questions:

-Do we need to drill trough the warthog base plate to connect the springs?

-Is there an offset option.

-How do we connect the tube (we need to get) to your 3D printed parts.

-Does it also come with the the feared and famous modded PS2 cable?

I just bought some ceiling mounts for my projector so the toybudget is gone allready but i'm curious for future.

Hi Flim,

nice design and awesome seat! I like the idea of the springs to give it a more realistic feel.

I have some questions:

-Do we need to drill trough the warthog base plate to connect the springs?

-Is there an offset option.

-How do we connect the tube (we need to get) to your 3D printed parts.

-Does it also come with the the feared and famous modded PS2 cable?

I just bought some ceiling mounts for my projector so the toybudget is gone allready but i'm curious for future.

Hey ,

This mod is way better then having no spring like most extensions... I'm picky myself on the feel which needs to be semi realistic. This mod allows you to use a longer more realistic shaft length compared to other options.

1. Yes, you need to drill new holes through the base plate, some might not want to if you plan to re-sale, but it was our only option that was simple.

2. I want to find an offset option, just need find a shop that can fab the shafts. ( If anyone has connections, let me know.) I can get them from flight link at 80 bucks, but seems pricey.

3. Yes, you need the 3d printed parts. You can get them from me or I will offer them on a 3d printed service site such as shapeways, but they are not cheap. They charge about $140 for the parts.

4. You will need to buy the bolts,cable,and shaft. It will cost between $30-40 for what you need. In our plans, we tell you exactly how to mod the ps2 cable... really simple and takes 30 seconds.

Hope this helps

There are a few mods going out and I have asked them to report back on their opinion.

For Euro customers,

here is a parts source like Mcmaster Carr in the states... http://www.mscdirect.co.uk/cgi/insrhm?ukepcode=HER40

This will help sourcing parts, but we need to convert inches to MM parts. I will try and get this done quickly.

If someone would like to source out all the parts in the UK/EUR with part numbers, where to order, and cost - I will send you a free Warthog mount. Also, I will make the same offer for our upcoming UH-1 Collective. Email if interested: Flim@Vrpit.com

Edited by Flim

Quick question, will the stick always lean forward like it is in the last video? Or am I just seeing it wrong? I just wondered if the springs will stretch, or if the metal springs will slowly wear the plastic. It looks nice, though! Hope to get an extension soon.

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

No, it doesn't lean... the springs keep it right in the center.

I made the center plastic mount pretty strong, but I guess anything can break. I have had mine for a few weeks and no issues yet.

I'm not sure on spring stretch in the long term, but I'm sure the will be fine. They are pretty heavy duty. Worst case is you can buy more for $12 bucks down the road, but I highly doubt it will be an issue.

I'll try and put a video flying the Huey, that will show how precise you can be compared to the normal Warthog.

I got all the parts to build mine and will post details tomorrow. I test fitted everything and so far I'm impressed. Even though I primarily fly the Hog I can imagine how wonderful this would be with the Huey.

Look forward to it! Can you post a video as well? Really keen on these!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Out of curiosity, anyone know of a random automotive seal boot that might cosmetically look like the real stick boot to hide the springs?

auh9.jpg

Yes a CV joint gaitor is the same seen here http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/431368.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t%3D214984&h=599&w=800&sz=145&tbnid=At6PLruxQSp2aM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcv%2Bjoint%2Bgaiter%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=cv+joint+gaiter&usg=__8kKgqkJeGYEBAzsK110zyOEEs6s=&docid=V74XOSmIEfN5_M&sa=X&ei=Rh75UaapCKaW0AWw2oDgCw&sqi=2&ved=0CHAQ9QEwBw&dur=8100

You just have to find the right diameter for the base but it will add tension to the throw of the stick and its rigidity may render the springs inoperative.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

The CV Joint Boots will not fit if you want to cover the springs. They extend out almost the whole dimention of the base. I have been thinking about how/if Im going to make a boot for mine.

I have finished my build of this mod and am very happy with it so far. the most challenging thing is actually coiling up the cable and getting it in the tube. After a few failed attempts i wrapped mine tightly around a long screwdriver and taped it to let it sit that way for a while. then it took about 10 min to get it in the tube.

I will be coordinating with Flim some minor issues i had during the build to see what his opinions are.

When I get a chance ill do a full writeup with pics as well.

If anybody has any questions till then feel free to ask.

I will try and get a video up later as well... Flying the Uh-1 and A-10

I dont fly with curves and i can tell you the UH-1 is alot less twitchy and more precise with this mod. You really get some great feedback as to how much travel you are using and it softens up the center spot on the stick nicely (I dont like a hard snap to center,some people might).

I've talked to Whartsell and will make some small changes to the instructions. Also ,one issue with the Ps2 connector... The male side where the stick connects, it is possible to break off the black spacer inside the stick connector if not careful. That part might be a little large for the cable, but it will not affect the function of the stick. I did not realize this earlier because mine was broke off already from earlier projects. If this is an issue, you might want to make a cable yourself! Everything else should be good and Whartsell will report soon with his impressions of the mod.

Lastly, update to the first post...

The new kits will contain all screws and cable for $110. The buyer will need the clevis(4), shaft, and springs.

Edited by Flim