CTD due to a trigger!

MaverickF22

Hi,

Immediately after upgrading to 1.2.5, i've noticed crashes to desktop if a ground group dies, after having the following trigger applied:

Continuous -> Part of group in zone (specified the zone) -> Signal flare (in another zone); Smoke marker (in the same zone assigned to "part of group")

aiiv.jpg

This happens only if the group dies, if it has such a trigger assigned, otherwise everything is ok.

To be noted that this problem (CTD error) didn't apply for the previous patch 1.2.4, where it worked just fine..., while now it won't work anymore whatever condition types i choose, because after the group dies a CTD occurs.

Something might've been changed to the the smoke marker or signal flare actions in the above conditions, since 1.2.5 came up, idk!

Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on!

Making DCS a better place for realism.

Let it be, ED!

It seems to be related to the "Group in Zone"-Type of conditions... read this post

Hope this get fixed quickly!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Provide a test .miz and we'll take a look.

Last I tested was this one. It is the original instant action miz "East Georgia Spring" with additional client A-10Cs for MP. So most of the mission is not changed from the original, most important no scripts are used.

Just to be clear, this does not happen with the same instant action mission that came with 1.2.5... so I'm still not sure if we nailed the root cause.

I reverted back to 1.2.4 to check the missions against 1.2.4 and they work fine.

The crash usually happens in the first few seconds after canceling pause, it seems even the scripts (MIST2.0, SCTv2 and Medevac) do load during these seconds I checked with a large mission I build.

I will try to build a few mission with 1.2.4 with very basic triggers so we can seperately check in 1.2.5 tomorrow or friday (Update takes quite a while).

Here is the EasyMission:Easy - East Georgia - Spring_MP.miz

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Gotcha! It is the combination of two or more CLIENT Group in Zone conditions combined with an OR!

As long as it is a AND condition it is fine.

If it is CLIENT Group in Zone OR AI Group in Zone it is fine.

As soon as you have:

Part of group in zone (CLIENT 1)

OR

Part of group in zone (CLIENT2)

it crashes! :bye_3:

I did not check on other "in zone"conditions, yet! If you delete the OR it is working again with no crash. Hope that helps narrow it down.

Shagrat

Thank you, I've entered into our data base.

Wags, please check the mission that i attached on the post indicated by Grimes. It clearly documents the error, and it is related to the error documented here!

Sven

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Hello Grimes.

I first thought it is the "deactivation" of a not used client slot, also, but I tested that yesterday, it did not crash.

Even if you have the same condition as a AND statement:

Part of group in zone(CLIENT1)

Part of group in zone(CLIENT2)

it works flawless. No crash.

As soon as you add the OR condition for two HUMAN flight slots, it crashes:

Part of group in zone(CLIENT1)

OR

Part of group in zone(CLIENT2)

The mission crashes on startup... at least I could reproduce this reliable.

Could you try to verify that, so we can rule out a bug on my rig, only?

Simply put an A-10C as CLIENT, clone it into a second CLIENT plane, set a "part of group in zone trigger" for each of them as AND condition. Now start the mission, it should work ok.

Now add the OR to the condition and it should crash.

Shagrat

Its the same bug as confirmed by a developer. The reason it doesn't crash with your first example is pretty straight forward and all depends on how the triggers function. It checks the highest trigger conditions first, if the condition is true it will move on to the other conditions, but if it is false it skips the other conditions. "OR" changes this behavior by checking each possible set of conditions, thus the sim crashes due to the known bug.

"Once>Time More 10 and Part of Group In Zone(non active client)> Action" will crash 10 seconds into the mission because the time more condition prevents the rest of the condition from being checked until time more == true.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Its the same bug as confirmed by a developer. The reason it doesn't crash with your first example is pretty straight forward and all depends on how the triggers function. It checks the highest trigger conditions first, if the condition is true it will move on to the other conditions, but if it is false it skips the other conditions. "OR" changes this behavior by checking each possible set of conditions, thus the sim crashes due to the known bug.

"Once>Time More 10 and Part of Group In Zone(non active client)> Action" will crash 10 seconds into the mission because the time more condition prevents the rest of the condition from being checked until time more == true.

Perfect! So this is not an additional problem and be likely fixed with the upcoming hotfix patch as well. Good to hear. Thanks for the details... didn't think about the priority system of the sequence. :doh::doh:

Shagrat

Hello everyone and hello "WAGS", it's a great honor to meet you..., as producer of the most brilliant modern simulator!

I've tried to enter the game in single player to try and test the mission one more time before uploading it here, as Matt asked..., and so the sim asked for a newer patch upgrade (1.2.5.15865)! Guess what..., after this upgrade the issue fell away and the trigger works perfect again (at least as it did in 1.2.4), so the problem seems to be fixed.

Here is the mission and in it you can see all the other triggers involved:

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g9405aa43500554f89993378549ebb204b973efcb3

Another aspect which seems to be a bit better..., after the last patch or probably since 1.2.5, is that the ground units are less likely to get stuck on a bridge like a pile or simply standing on it a bit off track, because that was a problem when you had to drive units over long distances with lots of bridges, but now it seems to work better..., excellent work!:thumbup:

Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on!

Making DCS a better place for realism.

Let it be, ED!