Naval warfare

Britgliderpilot's idea about a Su-33 mod has got me searching alot about Naval warfare and playing around with the mission editor to try new things...

One thing that seems odd to be is that the "Moscow" (which I think is the Moskva, Slava Class guided missile cruiser) engages other ships with his SS-N-12 missiles, but only with one missile at a time... which means that the Oliver Perry usually easily intercepts the missile with his SAMs. On the other hand, the SS-N-19 of the Kuz almost never get intercepted, even if, again, they are only fired individually.

Is this normal? I would have thought that the missiles would have been fired in groups of 3-4 to reduce the change of intercept... But I may be wrong.

I know that naval ops are not the main focus of Lock-On, but still... maybe someone knows a mod or maybe I am just doing something wrong in the editor.

Britgliderpilot's idea about a Su-33 mod has got me searching alot about Naval warfare and playing around with the mission editor to try new things...

One thing that seems odd to be is that the "Moscow" (which I think is the Moskva, Slava Class guided missile cruiser) engages other ships with his SS-N-12 missiles, but only with one missile at a time... which means that the Oliver Perry usually easily intercepts the missile with his SAMs. On the other hand, the SS-N-19 of the Kuz almost never get intercepted, even if, again, they are only fired individually.

Is this normal? I would have thought that the missiles would have been fired in groups of 3-4 to reduce the change of intercept... But I may be wrong.

I know that naval ops are not the main focus of Lock-On, but still... maybe someone knows a mod or maybe I am just doing something wrong in the editor.

Naval warefare is modelled in its most basic form in Lock On. The Russian SA-N-6 system is a virtual anti-missile/aircraft umbrella, making the Moscow a naval 2000lb gorilla in combat. Thus, you cannot expect realistic combat from it.

For example, I think the both the Aegis and the Russian AAW system that uses a derivative of the Buk SAM are both more effective than the S300 Rif found in the Moscow, which IIRC is more suited to very long-range engagements. Moreover, initially, I think some Slava-class cruisers (like the Moscow) lacked the ability to engage air targets in the forward hemisphere, initially at least, IIRC. JJ Alfa or someone may want to correct me here.

You're doing nothing wrong in the editor - that's just the way it is, unfortunately :( If you want to talk more about it, go to Alfa - he's the man to go to for all things naval ;)

sigzk5.jpg

We need to start a Lomac Naval Warfare Mafia . . . . . grin.

Extending the Naval aspect of the sim would be fantastic :D

However, it probably isn't going to happen anytime soon. Will try and get a beta out of my mod, and see if anything more can be done before I release the Black Sea Ops version.

Thanks guys for the info!

You are definitely right about that. Anyways, I don't always have alot of time available, but if you want me to help with your naval project, let me know...(I cannot create mods, but can certainly create missions).

We need to start a Lomac Naval Warfare Mafia . . . . . grin.

However, it probably isn't going to happen anytime soon. Will try and get a beta out of my mod, and see if anything more can be done before I release the Black Sea Ops version.

Yes, I was/am a big whiner when it came to unrealistic naval warfare in lomac (more in the SAM and CIWS area, but still). I can start on the unrealistic Klinok moddeling and stiff, but heck, nobody will read it, as always, and forget about it (Tunguska, Russky data link, R-77 threads, hint, hint).

So, what will your su-33 mod bring us? Some lope/meint mods? Or something else? Or will it return the Peter the graet "nucular" cruiser without any weapons or self-defense?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

I for one was really hopeing for a more realistic naval operation from Ed.....

When Lock on was released some time ago I had been recreating some of my favorite missions from Flanker 2.5 and found that the Naval Operation was some what dimminished in the New Simulation......

After several threads concerning this issue it was brought to light, ( I think it was acutually posted by Carl at the time ) that Ed was going in a different direction with Lock on and would be concentrating there efforts mostly on the ground war aspect...

This really makes good sense in a modern point of view as the warefare now and in the future will most likely be fought this way.....

So yea, I would love to see the a Naval Operation released along with all of the detail that it would entail, but this will probably not happen in my lifetime (LOL)

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Yes, I was/am a big whiner when it came to unrealistic naval warfare in lomac (more in the SAM and CIWS area, but still). I can start on the unrealistic Klinok moddeling and stiff, but heck, nobody will read it, as always, and forget about it (Tunguska, Russky data link, R-77 threads, hint, hint).

So, what will your su-33 mod bring us? Some lope/meint mods? Or something else? Or will it return the Peter the graet "nucular" cruiser without any weapons or self-defense?

Not a huge amount we haven't already got :p

General thread here - it rolls up a few things. Added the F-111 since this thread.

Mostly it'll allow more realistic mission-building. As the thread says, I'm co-operating with the Black Sea Ops guys to build a 30 mission Su33 campaign around the mod . . . . will try and keep it realistic to the employment of the Su33 :)

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/38610606/m/9151032493/p/1

If anyone can find a way to get a proper texture for the Spruance, that would rock.

Once I've got the basic plan for the campaign, input would be greatly appreciated - will post in the campaigns forum when the storyline is sorted :)

So Britt I see that you've used some of the old files from 2.5 in your screen shots and have to agree that this sounds interesting...

Allthough it does make this idea seem possible, isn't there someway to actually redo these screenies to bring them more up to date ???

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

So Britt I see that you've used some of the old files from 2.5 in your screen shots and have to agree that this sounds interesting...

Allthough it does make this idea seem possible, isn't there someway to actually redo these screenies to bring them more up to date ???

~S~

Blaze

I'm not sure I understand the question - I've got screenies of Flanker's MiG29K, F111, and Pyotr Velikiy, all in Lomac.

The Spruance is there too, but doesn't have a skin. They are IN my version of Lomac, and very shortly can be in yours as well.

If you're talking about up-to-date skins (esp for the MiG29K), then in some respects that's possible - see someone's excellent before/after reskinning job on the Flanker Aardvark here:

ScreenShot_013.jpg

f-111_3.jpg

If you're talking about up-to-date screenies of the mods, then I can do that as well.

We can't change the code to make the ships actually work realistically, though.

I'm not sure I understand the question - I've got screenies of Flanker's MiG29K, F111, and Pyotr Velikiy, all in Lomac.

the Pyotr Velikiy can't be a Flanker Model, it's to detailed for a 2.5 model, think i read somewhere it was planned for Lockon but removed for some reason