Ka-50 lasing, A-10C firing maverick

muamshai

I am not sure if this question was asked before. If it did then apologize in advance.

Is it possible of data sharing/targetting laser information between Ka-50 and A-10. Say, Ka-50 lases the target and A-10C fires the maverick. Although, this might be impossible due to difference between US and Russian system but I thought to ask anyways for clarification.

If this scenario is not possible then what kind of information can be shared between the two.

Cheers!

This space is available for your advertisement

The LASER systems of the Ka-50 and A-10C are not compatible.

The only way to share information between the two is via voice comms, passing across 9-lines etc.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I have always wondered, when an A-10C or F-16 "lases" a tank for example, could someone standing right by the tank see the actual laser?

I don't believe the lasers used are in the visible spectrum, unlike the ones you buy at the store.

Far infrared laser. No, you cannot see it. However, if it hits you, you COULD feel it. It puts out a LOT of energy, and you would feel it as heat. It is also quite capable of blinding someone.

That said, I'm not sure the suggestion of a KA50 pilot using a SOFLAM designator from inside the cockpit would work, either: the cockpit glass may well not be far-IR transparent, either naturally, or because laser-resistant coatings were added to prevent the pilot being blinded by, say, AH64 designators.

Why does the Shkval laser need a while to cool down and can only be used for something like 15 seconds if I recall, but the A-10C laser doesn't seem to have this restriction?

TGP laser burns out as well after some time

And from my experience, damage from not letting the Shkval cool down is not modeled.

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes it is.

Limitations are according to the manual:

5 series of 16 cycles with 10 seconds firing time, 5 seconds between cycles, 30 minutes between series

5*16*10s ~ 13.3m

10-15 minutes of continous use ist what you can do with the laser in the sim before it burns out

So how exactly do you suppose is it modeled, that you need to cool the laser?

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's correct, but that isn't the laser, it is the IR pointer.

I believe it used to be that you could just make out the normal laser through NVG's but O think that was more of a bug than anything else.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

I agree, you shouldn't be able to see that laser with NVGs. I think they operate at around 1000 nanometers of wavelength.

...now that I think about it... it might work to see that wavelengths with a NVG....

But on the other hand: Those lasers are pulsed, so even if you have the right wavelength you might not see it because of that.

So how exactly do you suppose is it modeled, that you need to cool the laser?

Fire a few full racks of Vikhrs and target for the gun for a while, and you'll eventually burn the laser out, or you could try (like I did) binding your voice comms push-to-talk button to the same button as the Skhval/laser designate. :P Landing and repairing fixes it.

FWIW, though, I've never burned the laser out on a normal mission, or even a mission on which I went back to base to reload two or three times. It's modeled, but it's not normally an issue.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission