flight behaviour with open doors

newbie2k

Just a quick question: wouldn't the flight characteristics be very unstable when having the sliding doors open at a certain speed?

I recall reading somewhere about the jetranger that one should not fly faster than 60 kts when having a no-doors-configuration, otherwise the helicopter will be unstable up to uncontrolable.

Can any real-life h/c pilot confirm this?

And if so, does anybody know if that will be implemented into the final FM?

Since the Huey has become iconic for flying with doors open or even removed apparently it would seem to be odd if the huey was uncontrollable at those speeds, no?

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Since the Huey has become iconic for flying with doors open or even removed apparently it would seem to be odd if the huey was uncontrollable at those speeds, no?

Agreed, I have read more than one Vietnam era pilot memoir where they indicated that they had never flown the craft with the doors closed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, of course it is possible... obviously :-) Everytime I am in a huey at least one door is open because I am jumping out there. But the pilots would never fly more than 60 kts.

What I'm interrested in is the fact if you could fly at max. speed without/open doors in the same way as with them closed. Or if you even can reach max. speed...

Edit: I know, there is always a maximum speed :-)

No noticeable difference with the doors open.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

As far as I know (reading), doors were almost always open. Nam was hot and humid. Whenever possible, they would fly at altitude rather than treetops in order to get cooler air. Nothing worse than being in a tincan with doors closed and with heat and humidity trying to ruin your day.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

d. The helicopter can be flown up to VNE with the

cabin doors locked in either the closed position or the

fully open position. Flight above 50 KIAS with the cabin

doors in the unlocked position is prohibited

e. The helicopter can be flown up to an IAS of 50

knots with one door open and one door closed. This will

allow for missions such as rappelling, paradrop, and use

of rescue hoist If a door comes open or unlocked from