Steam Migration

Valve not getting any $$$ from purchases made via the ED e-shop might one reason why they would be reluctant to let you use their bandwith ;)

Exactly.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Not any steam game...only any steamworks game can be added which uses steam for copy protection. So steam CD keys are available for those games and they can be easily registered. For years I have tried retail CD keys of games released on steam (assassins creed 2) which I could not use on steam.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I'm hoping I can transfer my purchases through the ED store onto Steam. I hope that by using Steam it might do away with the activation system currently used? I fully understand ED's need to protect their work and completely support them in that but it would be nice not to worry about deactivating/reactivating and just using Steam as the method of DRM as I've used up quite a few of my activations already as its normally the last thing I think of backing up when it comes to doing a format.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

It’s free: There’s no charge for bandwidth, updating, or activation of copies at retail or from third-party digital distributors.

It’s freeing: With Steamworks you avoid the overhead and delay of certification requirements—there are none. Distribute your game on your terms, updating it when and as often as you want.

What about my friend, who initially purchased A-10C on Steam, but then purchased it again on DCS.com to get DCS World integration. Now that it exists as the same product, is there any way that he could say, get a refund on one of them, or in lieu of that, transfer one of the purchases to someone else (not me, I already have A-10C on DCS.com)?

I have some friends who would like this game, but can't be convinced enough to spend money on it. This would be the perfect opportunity to allow at least one of them a chance at it.

This is, assuming, I can get this friend to part ways with his redundant copy.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

We are continuing to explore this option.

I don't have the steam version yet, just downloading it right now, but I do have a question that I hope you could answer, if i was to own every DCS module outside of Steam, could I simply copy the Mods folder from the current DCS world folder and into steam, and use the existing activation codes that I have already? I saw from the friday update that it's "not possible" to do so yet, but i'm wondering why this wouldn't be possible, would the activation codes simply not work or something else that i'm not seeing?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Edited by Chippy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The basic steam policy has been that any game in their system which has a product key, can be added from externally purchased sources. I have done it with several other retail boxed games that I have, as a means of backup for if/when I lose the cd key booklet.

Call of Duty: World at War does not work. I tried and steam will not let me use the key on the box to register it. So not every game will work.

What about my friend, who initially purchased A-10C on Steam, but then purchased it again on DCS.com to get DCS World integration. Now that it exists as the same product, is there any way that he could say, get a refund on one of them, or in lieu of that, transfer one of the purchases to someone else (not me, I already have A-10C on DCS.com)?

I have some friends who would like this game, but can't be convinced enough to spend money on it. This would be the perfect opportunity to allow at least one of them a chance at it.

This is, assuming, I can get this friend to part ways with his redundant copy.

He didn't need to buy it again to DCS World compatibility. Should have just used his steam cd key.

And to transfer from one account to another, I think this is what you're looking for. Never tried it myself but I've seen others ask similar questions.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/myserials.php

Call of Duty: World at War does not work. I tried and steam will not let me use the key on the box to register it. So not every game will work.

The developer/publisher has to request this.

At that time, Activision did not allow retail activations on Steam.