SAR Heli Concept

drsgfire

So... don't know if anyone has brought up this little wish but it seems like it could be done fairly quick as opposed to most requests. How difficult would it be to make an ejected pilot a live character in game, synced across multiplayer? That way if you got shot down and ejected, you could have your buddies jump in a Huey and come pick you up.

I mean, the controls are already there because you can move your pilot around on the ground. Why not make that across all users? Switch the ejected pilot to an objective on ejection. It would be just like picking up NPC's with Huey. Seems possible to me.

Problem is, no one wants to wait around for the SAR chopper to arrive.

They just want to hop back in the cockpit ASAP and keep on flying.

I know were getting into deeper water here but what if there were enemy trying to find you at the same time :)

I come from playing a lot of FPS also. That would keep my interest in hanging around. I know it seems crazy but you could potentially add a very simple system for this. If you make the pilot like a tank... lol as in combined arms, you could seek shelter from tanks and ground forces that could also fire at you and you fire back. Pistol wise of course :)

If this is done it needs to be optional. I'm not waiting.

Only way I would consider it is if I was in a really well designed realistic online mission (ie, not the usual air quake style stuff for lack of a better term, but something with a real briefing, objective, etc). Most missions online are not like this, and I wouldn't bother there.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Maybe not make the ejected pilot wait but just make it so a CSAR mission opens up. You could do it with triggers in a mission.

There's been quite a few threads/discussions on the mission building side (in the mission builders forum) regarding CSAR over the past couple of months. The scripting engine has made it possible to run various types of scenarios around where a pilot ejects/goes down. A few have created CSAR missions which open up on their server missions when a pilot ejects over enemy territory.

However, per the topic, these are done within the limitation that others can't see the ejected pilot moving around once they land.

Actually, progress has been made since 1.2.4. First, the ejected pilot is now visible in MP, which wasn't the case previously. One thing to be added is if you move your pilot, you don't see him move for the other players. He simply stays at the point he landed.

Then, there is a pretty nice 'bug' lately allowing an MP chopper to pick up your pilot:

Got hit by a strela during a mission with my squad mates. One of my wingman is kind enough to check my position and status.

Image01.jpg

Chatting with him and getting some food and drink for the long walk back to base...

Image02.jpg

Image03.jpg

Image04.jpg

Finaly, decided to catch the side of the chopper and hold it while RTB.

Image05.jpg

Csar is going pretty well. Got stuck nicely to the aircraft.

Image06.jpg

Image07.jpg

Image08.jpg

Sadly enough, one ladt hidden zu23 forced my wingman into a sharp escape manoeuver. Couldn't hold and fell from 300 meters high and died.:thumbup:

Image09.jpg

Surely soon, this 'feature' will work officially in MP.

Actually, progress has been made since 1.2.4. First, the ejected pilot is now visible in MP, which wasn't the case previously. One thing to be added is if you move your pilot, you don't see him move for the other players. He simply stays at the point he landed.

Then, there is a pretty nice 'bug' lately allowing an MP chopper to pick up your pilot:

Surely soon, this 'feature' will work officially in MP.

Maybe even involving a FPS style stuff. So once FP comes out you will hopefully be able to start a mission in a base then run to the heli or Su-27 or what ever you want and jump in start her up and fly away to take out the enemy.

In Mi-24's in the Afgan war the pilots carried assultrifles as part of there survival gear so maybe even include that for the huey and mi-8 when it comes out.

487th Squadron

Section Leader

Problem is, no one wants to wait around for the SAR chopper to arrive.

They just want to hop back in the cockpit ASAP and keep on flying.

If its designed as an integral part of a mass mission , the pilot will have to tread carefully , risking getting shot down , his rejoin governed by team rules ..... meaning he cannot rejoin until SAR is complete . But that could also take hours ..... and sitting there might be boring , then the F keys should be made available so the downed pilot at least can watch the action , imo .

I don't see how disabling the F keys stop cheating anyway . Maybe ED should stop the F key eye candy , as most servers have it disabled . I think it should be enabeled , and governed by peoples sense of fairness and respect . I wouldn't cheat if the F keys were on , wouldn't know how and just wouldn't do it outta fairness and honesty , and you cant on TS as others could hear you , same with typing . But it seems mad to have such eyecandy switched off ..... as we all like to look at this tidbit .

If its designed as an integral part of a mass mission , the pilot will have to tread carefully , risking getting shot down , his rejoin governed by team rules ..... meaning he cannot rejoin until SAR is complete .

Well getting around that would just involve suicide or leaving. For the common type of MP mission, both would be preferred for me.

There is really no reason to force it. It's not realistic anyway for a downed pilot to immediately come back and then go into a cockpit (and that's really my problem with the whole thing for the average MP mission, the focus on SAR is so much greater than the level of realism for all other procedures, I don't think it makes sense).

As for the F views, F5 is pretty powerful and so is F10 with all enabled, though the latter is probably something like what you get from a good (though a bit all seeing) AWACS which DCS does not have right now. What we have now works. F views can be enabled/disabled at server/player choosing.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I think I would be ok with the ejected pilot creating an instant SAR mission. Maybe with the points system if that pilot is rescued it would subtract add bonus or something to your stats. Which is another thing I had been meaning to bring up… when will online kill and death statistics get recorded in the log book?