New guy here need info. Very interested in game

Hey guys, long time fan of combat sims. One being Falcon 3.0, but to my knowledge has not been anything worthwhile with a realistic feel since. Anyways, I have a few questions and hope that you can help me.

1- How is this game?

2- How is realism and replayability?

3- What package should I buy to start with? What are the options? I would like to get the game with more then just one plane.

4- How is learning curve?

5- How does this game compare to say Arma and Battlefield etc?

5- And last but not least how is multiplayer? Do you go 1-1 or is it co-op? Thanks...

greetings

since you were flying Falcon i'll sugest go for DCS-A10C

Its a very realistic sim

if you like to go for helicopters ED offers DCS-BLACK SHARK2

and from Belsimtek here in this site you can buy the UH1-H [awesome]

also one that im flying lately is FC3 see details here http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/flaming_cliffs_3/

is a mid-rage fidelity simulation

that means that you don't have cklickable cockpits and the depth of the systems that DCS-A10C offers

but almoast all of them have 6DOF HD cockpits and soon we'll have AFM for the F-15C SU27[the SU25A A10A already own AFM-ADVANCED FLIGHT MODEL MEANING VERY CLOSE TO THE REAL ONES]

keep in mind that DCSW is free and is the heart of all of them

also is WIP

meaning that we will get new modules effects etc etc in the future

personally i say get all of them you wan't regreat it

ps.if you like WWII machines there is the P-51 available and the FW-190 in the pipeline

flying to arma and battlefield is for 16 years old kids

multiplayer is awesome

you can find a lot of people that flying everyday and they can help you starting

Edited by skouras

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

greetings

since you were flying Falcon i'll sugest go for DCS-A10C

Its a very realistic sim

if you like to go for helicopters ED offers DCS-BLACK SHARK2

and from Belsimtek here in this site you can buy the UH1-H [awesome]

also one that im flying lately is FC3 see details here http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/flaming_cliffs_3/

is a mid-rage fidelity simulation

that means that you don't have cklickable cockpits and the depth of the systems that DCS-A10C offers

but almoast all of them have 6DOF HD cockpits and soon we'll have AFM for the F-15C SU27[the SU25A A10A already own AFM-ADVANCED FLIGHT MODEL MEANING VERY CLOSE TO THE REAL ONES]

keep in mind that DCSW is free and is the heart of all of them

also is WIP

meaning that we will get new modules effects etc etc in the future

personally i say get all of them you wan't regreat it

ps.if you like WWII machines there is the P-51 available and the FW-190 in the pipeline

Thank you for reply. I have another question. For me to get Flaming Cliffs I think I need some other software installed but I don't see it as a download on this site. How would I get it? And is there a download for it? Rather not order it and wait for it to come in mail :) And once I instal the dcs world I can buy any of the dlc's I want with exception of FC3? And what exactly is mid rage fidelity system?

Thank you for reply. I have another question. For me to get Flaming Cliffs I think I need some other software installed but I don't see it as a download on this site. How would I get it? And is there a download for it? Rather not order it and wait for it to come in mail :) And once I instal the dcs world I can buy any of the dlc's I want with exception of FC3? And what exactly is mid rage fidelity system?

Hi there and welcome to ED!

For Flaming Cliffs, you need LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat), there is no download for it you will need to order it, secondly, mid-fidelity is pretty much no 'clickable' cockpits, its all buttons and keys but the major systems are mostly modeled like Radar e.t.c (some even have AFM or advanced flight model, compared to SFM or standard flight model, the AFM aircraft feel much more realistic when flying, weight, drag and lift all feel far more real compared to SFM, hope this helps :smartass:

"If the MWS didn't see it, it didn't happen"

Thank you for reply. I have another question. For me to get Flaming Cliffs I think I need some other software installed but I don't see it as a download on this site. How would I get it?

In order to install Flaming Cliffs 3, you need a copy of Lock On: Modern Air Combat or one of the previous versions of Flaming Cliffs. You can buy Lock On for $9 directly from Ubisoft. The reasons for this from what I understand deal with how the Flaming Cliffs name is licensed with Ubisoft. Eagle Dynamics also offers stand alone versions of the planes included in Flaming Cliffs 3, at the moment the Su-25 and A-10A but in the future including the F-15C and Su-27, which do not require the purchase of Lock On or the prior Flaming Cliffs games.

And what exactly is mid rage fidelity system?

Mid-range fidelity system means that the planes are more for casual flight enthusiasts and not hard-core simmers. The aircrafts systems are largely controlled by keyboard commands (but can be customized to work on a joystick) and the cockpit buttons and switches are not clickable. Also, for the time being only the A-10A and Su-25 have the advanced flight model, the Su-27 and F-15 are currently on the simple flight model. These will be updated to the advanced flight models once they are released at some point in the future.

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

In order to install Flaming Cliffs 3, you need a copy of Lock On: Modern Air Combat or one of the previous versions of Flaming Cliffs. You can buy Lock On for $9 directly from Ubisoft. The reasons for this from what I understand deal with how the Flaming Cliffs name is licensed with Ubisoft. Eagle Dynamics also offers stand alone versions of the planes included in Flaming Cliffs 3, at the moment the Su-25 and A-10A but in the future including the F-15C and Su-27, which do not require the purchase of Lock On or the prior Flaming Cliffs games.

Mid-range fidelity system means that the planes are more for casual flight enthusiasts and not hard-core simmers. The aircrafts systems are largely controlled by keyboard commands (but can be customized to work on a joystick) and the cockpit buttons and switches are not clickable. Also, for the time being only the A-10A and Su-25 have the advanced flight model, the Su-27 and F-15 are currently on the simple flight model. These will be updated to the advanced flight models once they are released at some point in the future.

Ok I am understanding a bit more. Let me ask the stand along dlc planes that ED offers are more hard core and the ones in FC3 are for more a casual sim guy? Which do you experienced pilots recommend me doing. I did play Falcon 4.0 for a while and would like to get harcore again but have no clue on how to start off with this game. Is the FC3 world same as the DCS world except the models are easier to fly? If thats the case then I don't have to go crazy with FC3 and just get the downloadable content for game. Thanks...

the stand alone is exactly the same with the FC3 ones

is for those who doesn't want the whole package

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Ok I am understanding a bit more. Let me ask the stand along dlc planes that ED offers are more hard core and the ones in FC3 are for more a casual sim guy? Which do you experienced pilots recommend me doing. I did play Falcon 4.0 for a while and would like to get harcore again but have no clue on how to start off with this game. Is the FC3 world same as the DCS world except the models are easier to fly? If thats the case then I don't have to go crazy with FC3 and just get the downloadable content for game. Thanks...

DCS: A10C, DCS: Mustang, DCS: Black Shack are all "hard core", while Su-25: DCS Flaming cliffs for example is for casual gamers with shallower learning curve and is the same as the one in FC3, only sold as as separate package.

Wishlist: DCS: MiG29M/CMT | DCS: MiG25/31 | DCS: MiG-23MLD | DCS: F16CJ

1- How is this game?

think falcon 4.0

95% authentic for A-10C.

3- What package should I buy to start with? What are the options? I would like to get the game with more then just one plane.

Try FC3 first. It has all the FC2 planes with now 6DOF cockpits and non clickable if you want to try more than one plane. You may also get world for free which has a free 25T to try.

anything prefixed by DCS (apart from FC3) has a steep learning curve and requires dedicated good HOTAS and rudder.

Arma is milsim infantry, BF is milsim arcade infantry. DCS is milsim aeronautic used by military and general public (think again, falcon4.0)

5- And last but not least how is multiplayer? Do you go 1-1 or is it co-op?

you have both modes but mostly coop.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I did play Falcon 4.0 for a while and would like to get harcore again but have no clue on how to start off with this game.

Did you go into the community made add-ons like SuperPak, FreeFalcon, OpenFalcon, BMS or something like that? The core game looks pretty simple once you got into these.

One of the most amazing things with SuperPak was the Cold Start option - starting the F-16 pretty much like a real pilot, cold on the parking lot, powering up all the systems, spooling up the engine, waiting for INS alignment, you know, all that stuff. If that is the level of realism that you're looking for, go for anything with "DCS" in it: A-10C, P-51D, Ka-50 and UH-1H all offer this level of detail and realism. It's pretty much as hardcore as it gets in terms of military flight simulations.

Now it's up to you whether you prefer a modern day jet (the A-10C avionics are more or less up-to-date, even though the airframe is rather old), the unique single seat attack helicopter, an iconic WWII fighter or possibly the most well known utility helicopter in the world. I'd say regardless of your choice, you won't regret it. :)

My personal opinion is that Flaming Cliffs just isn't made for me, it's not hardcore enough. Even though the FC3-aircraft are "simpler" in terms of systems modeling, flight model etc, I find the "hardcore" DCS modules to be more accessible because (almost) all the buttons are actually clickable with the mouse.

On the other hand, you get a lot more different aircraft in FC3. If you prefer that level of realism, you get a lot more bang for the buck.

Personally, I'd suggest you get the A-10C first. IMO it's a smooth transition from F4, you'll already know a lot of the terminology and the cockpit concepts. I absolutely love the hog. Plus, who wouldn't want to pilot a seven barreled cannon with engines attached to it? :D

Edited by Yurgon
Typo

To put it in perspective, I've been been flying the Hog and Hokum since they came out and I'm still learning something almost every time I go up. The flight manuals are 100's of pages long, and required reading.the P-51 is a basic WW II prop plane, not much studying of the flight manual required, but to fly it properly without trashing the engine and being combat effective with it takes a lot of practise. I don't have the Huey yet (probably wont get it, who knows).

Hope this helps.

1- How is this game?

DCS in its most up to date form is accessed through DCS World. This is basically all the important stuff (physics, AI, terrain, etc) with a free Su-25T. Other content is obtained by buying modules. Modules come in various levels of fidelity.

Currently:

DCS - highest level of fidelity, full avionics and flight physics model with maximum detail. This will basically let you operate the plane as if you were a real pilot, or at least as close as you can get to this on a home PC.

Flaming Cliffs - Comes as a pack (FC3, requires older software to run) or lower priced modules (A-10 and Su-25 released so far, do not require old software). Mid level fidelity: avionics work as the real ones do overall, but lack features and specific details. Flight Model is being upgraded to AFM across the board, but at the moment fighter have an old flight model that is basically a point model. Stall, landing, takeoff is scripted but turn, climb, etc performance is close to reality.

Combined Arms (ground vehicles) - rudimentary sim, more of a game with sim elements.

All of the above work in DCS World and can interact with each other on and offline. DCS World's own fidelity varies based on what is being simulated. For example, missiles have advanced physics. However air traffic control is basic, and DCSW is waiting on a patch to overhaul it. The current ATC is not as good as vanilla Falcon 4.0.

DCSW will let you set up simple and complex realistic situations (and you can download missions from other players or go online), but building these can take time. You will need to get familiar with the mission editor, AI quirks, and some other things. Overall though, I think it works well.

Realism of different modules I explained above. Realism of DCSW as a whole is good. I've never tried any of the missions that come with the sim, I make my own. The main obstacles to over come are the relatively small map (most aircraft can cross the whole thing without refueling) and the AI which requires a bit of trial and error to get it behave well in complex situations. The AI is very good at focused simple tasks like a dogfight or bombing a target. However getting multiple CAP flights to work together and only cover a specific region takes a little work. The mission editor and AI could use improvement, but at their current level, they are workable.

Because of the ME and online play, replayability is basically unlimited. Online missions for the most part are a little less realistic except private sessions, but if you go into these public servers with other players and communicate with them, it's a very good experience.

DCSW comes with the Su-25T for free. Start with that. It has an outdated cockpit model, non clickable cockpit, and advanced flight model. You can use all DCSW features with this plane. If you want more aircraft like the Su-25T, you can buy Flaming Cliffs 3 or the FC3 modules (A-10A, Su-25). In particular, if you want a modern fighter experience, FC3 is the only option until DCS F/A-18 and MiG-21.

If you want full realism, get DCS A-10, Ka-50, UH-1, or P-51.

The DCS modules have interactive training which speeds up learning immensely. You will probably still need to read the 500+ page manuals and ask other players for help however. I've been flying A-10C for a while and I don't know everything, mostly because I like fighters more so I haven't put 100% effort into the A-10.

DCS is far more realistic than Battlefield. The aircraft in DCS are far more realistic than those in ARMA.

5- And last but not least how is multiplayer? Do you go 1-1 or is it co-op? Thanks...

MP offers competitive and coop. Online is dominated by the big servers like the 104th and 51st. They have semi-realistic missions that are easy to jump to and pit Blue team vs Red team. The 104 tends to artificially balance a little bit more (F-15's on US and Russian side for example). 51st is a bit more asymmetric. Other servers feature co-op missions which are probably bit more realistic as well as training, acrobatic, or just fooling around mission. And then you have private servers which can hold any kind of mission including very strict and realistic co-op or competitive flying.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 8 months later...

1> Best rotorcraft simulator available (UH-1)

2> Total emersion with high replayability

3> UH-1 ( 2 fixed wing included with DCS World)

4> You will experience Frustration , scream out loud , Die multiple times...It is worth it once you get into the zone and have complete control of your AC

5> That is like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari

6> MP can be fun if you have a good group of folks to fly with but you will always have the kids just messing around..best to meet folks get a crew together and organise your own MP missions.