• I will be upgrading to a Dual Core CPU
    • If the Lock-on Series Supported Dual Core, I Would Upgrade
    • I will not be using Dual Core CPU's

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just joined the dual core club, its very goodly.

Me too. The AMD price slash is just too good to pass.

Nowi

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
Guest BattleAxes

Dual Core

AMD Athlon 3800+ 64Bit Dual Core

512K DDR RAM

XFX - 128 MB GEFORCE FX 6200 PCI E CARD

Seagate 80GB HDD

Saitek X45

DirectX-9.0b

Sony DVD & CD Rom

19"" TFT Monitor

CH PEDALS

• 1 month later...

I have an E6300

AirJarhead

i7 5820k@4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X60 Cooler

MSI X99S SLI Plus Motherboard

16GB (4x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400

EVGA GTX 980SC

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Plextor 256GB M.2 SSD

2x Samsung 750GB Evo 840 SSD Raid 0

Windows 7 64bit

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I entered the dual core club over the weekend. I replaced my good old AMD 64 3200+ with a new AMD 4600+ X2.

By the way, I suggest to moderators to un-stick this thread because it is almost a year old. I am sure by now, there is many more dual cores out there.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Im goin to skip Dual core entirely. I have no other game to buy in the near future so I will keep this one till then.

Im following quad cores technology and may upgrade when prices are fair.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

2 Allochtoon

I read in another post that some people have problems with xp 64 bit (not many people seem to use it), so you might want to stick with 32-bit. The program you're referring to is called procaff and you can find it here :

http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/procaff/main.php3

Use as follows :

- Copy procaff.exe in C:\Windows\

- You have to edit your shortcut as follows :

-> rightclick on your lockon-shortcut and select Properties

-> change the target to #C:\WINDOWS\procaff.exe /run 2 "C:\Program Files\Lock On\lockon.exe"# (remove the #, but keep the double quotes)

-> keep Start in as : "C:\Program Files\Lock On" (keep the double quotes)

Procaff makes sure that Lockon.exe is started on the second processor (in Task Manager => CPU 1, the first processor = CPU 0).

Kind regards

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, Radeon RX 6800, HP Reverb, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Thrustmaster MFD's

There is ZERO advantages of going to 64 bit OS right now. All your gonna be is a home lab rat. Good luck. ;)

My PC specs below:

Quad core is almost here and Lock On still haven't been patched to support multiple cores, damn.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I read in another post that some people have problems with xp 64 bit (not many people seem to use it), so you might want to stick with 32-bit. The program you're referring to is called procaff and you can find it here :

http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/procaff/main.php3

Use as follows :

- Copy procaff.exe in C:\Windows\

- You have to edit your shortcut as follows :

-> rightclick on your lockon-shortcut and select Properties

-> change the target to #C:\WINDOWS\procaff.exe /run 2 "C:\Program Files\Lock On\lockon.exe"# (remove the #, but keep the double quotes)

-> keep Start in as : "C:\Program Files\Lock On" (keep the double quotes)

Procaff makes sure that Lockon.exe is started on the second processor (in Task Manager => CPU 1, the first processor = CPU 0).

Kind regards

Thanks man :)

migtoon0xo.gif

how hard would it be to do that?

Incredibly hard. Its not just a simple case of patching a bit of code, it would be easier to rewrite it from scratch to support multi-core/multi-cpu. The problems that appear when you start running code on seperate cores is vastly more than just twice as difficult. I have been playing (briefly) with multiple threads in the upcoming version of TouchBuddy, and its an absolute nightmare to back-port it to use the multi-core/cpu efficiently.... so I only used it where I really needed it, and even that small routine was a horible horrible few days of coding.

You have to ensure that everytime one part of the program access some shared data, that that data is tested to see if it can be locked (or wait until it can), then attempt to lock it (and wait if it cant) then read or write to the shared data, then unlock access to the shared data, so other parts of the code can access it. If you dont lock your shared data, you end up with one part writing while another is reading, and one or the other will obtain an invalid result. You also have to make sure that if you are blocked from access by a lock, you have to wait until you can, or go off and do something else and come back again.

Debugging multi-core/cpu code also becomes a bloody nightmare... OK, your code just did something odd.... which part? it might not be the part you think because some of it is running separately, and it might be that part that is crashing. Was it the part that wanted to read some data, or the part that wanted to write to it? if you have more than 2 "threads" going, which one of the multiple threads was it that crashed, and why? if thread #4 crashed, which thread was it that it got upset about, or did it crash all by itself?

I am hoping that Tank Killers will be written from the ground up as a multi-core/cpu capable game, but I would be very very suprised if LOBS is multi-cpu/core aware.

I finally joined the Dueal Core club over Christmas. My move was from an old (5 years) AMD Athlon XP1900+ based system to a Intel Cored 2 Duo E6600 based one. The difference in speed, heat, and sound is huge. I'm happy as are games that I simply couldn't play in much detail. No more slide shows. :thumbup:

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

• 1 month later...

My Dualcore AMD 4600+ runs quite smooth on LOMAC FC. But for this game I think that RAM and GRAPHICS CARD comes into a slightly larger role.

Raptor22Sig.jpg

Gigabyte GA-M55SLI S-4

AMD64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz

2GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz

eVGA GeForce7950GT 512MB

Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen

Western Digital Cavier 160GB 7200RPM SATA

SoundBlaster Audigy X-Fi

Creative MegaWorks 5.1 THX 550

TrackIR 4 Pro

MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 :joystick:

Since LOMAC only uses 1 CPU, it wouldnt see any difference. Though for other Windows tasks?

I understand that but wouldnt all the other aplications be shared on other cores leaving 1 core dedicated to Lomac hence making it run smoother ?

Coz the quad core is pretty much the same price as a dual core x6800 so I figured might aswell get the quad..from the reviews I read it performs a lot better for multi-tasking applications. For example playing mmorpg's on 2 clients with comms...

I moved to dual core purely because I was told Fraps would run better on one core, with LOMAC running on the other. However I was completely underwhelmed by the dual core experience and see so real evidence that LOMAC is smoother for having a core all to itself. The various background stuff is called background for a reason... there's not a lot of CPU cycles involved. :-)

Andrew McP

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to set CPU affinity if you're running two "singles" applications concurrently with each other.

Other wise, they'll both be doing "core sharing" rather than utilizing a dedicated core.

I have several dual core systems (Intel and AMD) and they both perform perfectly fine. Though in clock comparing a single core 3800+ to it's X2 brother with all other hardware the same (on a socket 939 motherboard), there are no appreciable differences in the performance.

On the dual core, though, I can set the processor affinity for LOMAC to the first core and fraps to the second core, and each maintain themselves a LOT better than trying to run both of them on a single core machine.

On the dual core, though, I can set the processor affinity for LOMAC to the first core and fraps to the second core, and each maintain themselves a LOT better than trying to run both of them on a single core machine.

Interesting. I've been unable to tell any real difference when I forget to set the affinity for each process. I must try again some time and be more scientific about my tests.

Andrew McP

I was going to get the top dual core Core2 but after watching the Quad core prices range similar prices I decided to skip dual core altogether and start saving for a Quad. There is already at least one game Im about to buy that uses quad processing.

My PC specs below: