<51>SERVER - How do I start the engines?

Frostie

I think that people need to spend some time offline before stepping into multiplayer, and it is valid for any game let alone a simulation game. Sooner or later, they will have to choose between either get the basics offline or drop the game, I don't think anyone would have fun getting continuously shot down, it's just a matter of time.

It's good to see that many new players joining though.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Steam users are invading multiplayer, please if you're on the <51>Server respect the server by not being disrespectful to the torrent of noobish questions such as 'How do I fly?' from freeloaders.

An apt response would be to suggest them to read the manual or be helpful in guiding them in chat or directing them to TS.

The biggest problem other than the constant requests of how to start engines, how do I rearm and how to fly etc.etc. is the crashing into other players and killing of friendlies.

If things get any worse we maybe forced to temporarily password the server on certain days.

This password will be 'rshifthome'.

Thanks

I choose the funny road...

End I actually thought of posting a thread ''STEAM Invaders''.

Anyway, my opinion on the subject is:

ED or someone else should make a ''training'' server, or better a ''Questions and Answers, chat only'' server.

As I said above I choose the funny side and try entertain old and new sim pilots with funny anwers.

I ll tell you the truth, last night I could not even fly because of laughing :lol:

But let me tell you something..

Back in 2006, I was so shy to enter multyplayer on hyperloby (1.12b) that forced myself reading the manual and watching tutorials even more... before I finaly went in..

Siming is diferent from FPS shooting and fifa playing.( Am i wrong?)

Let them read the manual. They will not.

They are here from curiosity, thats all.

1% maybe will stay but I really dnt believe.

The simers know about LOMAC and DCSworld and AAAAAAALLLLLL simulation software available on the market. You know why? Because we are creazy about what we do..

The steam release will surely bring new players (and money to the developers) but they are just shooting stars( if they are, because they just quit and uninstall a free software)

Anyway, I am not irritated in anyway by those guys, I will actually try to have fun with them, but i will never be a personal ''keyboard instructor'' telling them how to close the canopy and how to bring the gears up...I hope you get what I mean...

No ofence to nubies (I am a nubie too) but those guys are coming not because of their love for simming, but because of a free software on steam. And this I choose not to pay for..(i mean the training thing)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Can I make a request on behalf of the community that we are allowed the Ctrl+EEE prank once? Please? OK nevermind. :D:D

CtrlEEEnoob.jpg

You are pure evil :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I run a server as well and have traditionally kept the doors open but reading the realities of this steam invasion is unsettling.

As many have said- most of our regulars are more than happy to help a guy polish the cannonball- but first that cannonball needs to be turned into a cannonball. We get all the same stuff too- but on a smaller scale than you guys so its been tolerable.

I just wanted to say I'm paying close attention to how you guys are managing things and I'm interested to see how things play out.

Mustang- to you specifically like others in here I admire your patience and enthusiasm for the expanding community but we need to nurture the right aspect of this expansion. Everyone who enters the platform is a potential enthusiast but basically what ED did by initiating this now (without their own full time servers) was dump the responsibility of dealing with the influx of brand new players on us- the people who have been maintaining the full time servers.

Seems a bit unfair and premature- but hopefully this relationship can help build the interest in that platform that is needed to fund development of their own server.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

My opinion regarding the recent flood of new players - I think we should all be a little more compassionate to newcomers to this sim, no matter how irritating it can be when they're asking simple questions over and over, it will be our own fault if we drive new blood away and are left with our little 'niche' of players complaining about how dead the MP scene is....so come on guys, lets show some love :D

+1

come on, what's so hard about telling someone to tap some key combination:thumbup:

Just to add from the VA point of view

Generally I have people on most of the time to give help and advice to new pilots but of recent (thanks to Steam) we have been flooded with alot of new people. Most of which just hit multiplayer and go.

Now I like to think that VA is a welcoming place and people can really learn their craft here, but there are limits. I dont think its too much to ask that someone at least checks the controls and how to take off / land even a basic FC3 aircraft before going online?

^ Exactly...

So what's the best way to implement something like that? Do we lock it up and wait for the storm to pass while broadcasting guidelines in the forums (with pertinent instructions in the "Situation" description in the mission)...

Do we leave the doors open but broadcast the guidelines and link thereto in the situation description?

"ENO"

^ Exactly...

So what's the best way to implement something like that? Do we lock it up and wait for the storm to pass while broadcasting guidelines in the forums (with pertinent instructions in the "Situation" description in the mission)...

Do we leave the doors open but broadcast the guidelines and link thereto in the situation description?

I don't think that is the best solution. I have played flaming cliffs since 2006, and I didn't start reading these forums until 2011. There are plenty of skilled players who enrich the multiplayer environment that don't visit the forums. I think maybe in the briefing you might include a few instructions for the newbies such as how to start the engine, and a tiny URL to the manual as well. But I don't run a server so I don't know the best way to fix this without having ED do something.

I think that soon enough a lot of the "bad" steam newbies asking "how do I blow stuff up!?" will give up and go back to playing HAWX, and we will be left with some good players from steam who took the time to read the manual and actually learned how to fly the sim, and we will all be better off from it!

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

^ Not a bad idea but then I have to develop that and I don't even know how. Then in addition to that I have a bunch of mid range guys who complain that the briefings are too long.

I know- trim yourself to suit others and you soon whittle yourself away to nothing... however establishing priorities in whom you work to accommodate (the most) is important.

"ENO"

Hmm...

Its a difficult call.

I do not want to have to Pw the VA server, it defeats the point of having it there in the first place. Luckily I have disabled 99% of the weapons on the server so shooting on the whole isnt an issue. That said I think the next few weeks could be challenging to say the least.

I might just have a macro on hand next time someone asks "How do I start the engine?" --> "Press Esc, then quit, go to options and read the damn controls....then come back"

Hmm...

I do not want to have to Pw the VA server, it defeats the point of having it there in the first place. Luckily I have disabled 99% of the weapons on the server so shooting on the whole isnt an issue. That said I think the next few weeks could be challenging to say the least.

I might just have a macro on hand next time someone asks "How do I start the engine?" --> "Press Esc, then quit, go to options and read the damn controls....then come back"

I'm seeing this "invasion" also on the WWII combat server. There has indeed been a surge in silly questions but really nothing too annoying. Like someone said earlier in the thread, there is a difference between people who want to learn about the sim and people who are lazy and just want to pull the trigger. The good thing is that it is pretty easy to discern who is who and I for one am happy to take some time with someone who actually wants to put a little effort into it.

This is my favorite interaction so far...

Steamer: I can't spawn

Me: Do you have the P-51D module?

Steamer: No. Do you have to pay for it?

Me: Yes. But I think it's on sale now. Like $20 or something.

Steamer: WHATT? Like real money? *expletive*

Last night we had some good activity on the server and a bunch of new people to fly against. Of course most chose the air start aircraft but it was still hours of good fun. If the steam route brings in ANY new flyers I think it's a win for the community.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

come on, what's so hard about telling someone to tap some key combination

Ok , last night I saw this one guy ask .

"Can someone tell me how to fly , please" . Now , gimme a break FFS !!!

I stayed quite and shook my head . :music_whistling:

And tonight ..... some dude did a taxiway takeoff , as I was taxiing and went right across my nose struggleing to get airborne . When I typed in the thread that it wasn't allowed and newbies need to bead the brief , some other people stood up for him .

I don't like the thought of passworded severs , but if this lark keeps up , I would be inclined to go with it .

Edited by badger66

Its a real shame we no longer have the online chat abilities we used to have in Hyperlobby. It was a great place to hang out, and we could always help each other out easily. It would mostly solve this Situation.

We need to keep it positive, so they might learn what they need to, and then come back online. :)

Regards,

Rastus

S!

I don't think it all can be blamed on the newcomers alone. I mean the game miss very simple but vital functionality for newbies, and it's not very intuitive, hell, when I first tried out multiplayer I spent 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to jump into a plane and start flying! It reminds me when I first tried out Windows 8, where I couldn't figure out how to shut down windows without having to google it.

Now the missing functionality:

1. The thing not being able to see keyboard commands when playing (and change them)! It sure was the most annoying part when I first started playing. It's not really a surprise newbies ask these questions when you need to leave the mission, exit the game, start up dcs, check the commands, start up multiplayer and finally join the game again.

2. Why can you jump into planes you don't own? Instead of simply telling the user they must have the selected airplane, they simply get into the plane without a cockpit. Brilliant! :thumbup:

3. Joining the game can be made more simple, for instance, simply add a Fly button, and if no airplane is selected tell the user he/she has to selected an airplane first!

Hell now we're at it, what I miss as well:

1. Scrollbar in the chat.

2. Being able to see previous mission messages.

3. Being able to see the damn mouse cursor while reading the briefing. :doh:

It can't seriously be that hard to add.

i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz (OC 4.3 Ghz), 16 GB Ram, Radeon 7970, Win8 64-bit, CH Products Fighterstick + Pro Pedals + Pro Trottle, TrackIR 5

I would like to add..

The ability to chat BEFORE you log into a server. Something like a general chatting room outside of the servers. That way you can find your friends before you log into a server. It can also be helpful for the ''steam invaders'', where they can ask questions outside of a server.

It was possible in Hyperlobby and very practical.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I don't get, why is it so hard to figure out how to fly?

When you join, you see your own name in a windows, at the bottom its called "spectators".

Hmmm, i'm a spectator? Probably means i can't fly then.

Then, if you look at the right you see Red and Blue, sound like sides to me.

And look, each side has airplanes listed.

Hmmm, maybe i'm brilliant but maybe you would need to pick a side and select a plane? Would it really be that easy?

Only thing less obvious is that the "fly" button is located after the "briefing" button.

Still though, if you think logically, you have the following options;

Exit, nope, don't want that, just entered

Disconnect, nope, don't want that either

Briefing, no idea, but lets see what it does, at least it won't trow me out of the game, i think

clicks briefing

go back, no i don't want to go back, i want to fly

Fly, YES! that's the one i want, hits fly and is happy.

Really, is it really all THAT complicated? In case it is, please don't even bother to try and learn to play this game.

/rant off /sarcasm off

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Fly, YES! that's the one i want, hits fly and is happy.

Most of them do that. No problem here.

Problem is that they choose airframes that they cannot fly, and they end up in the map screen.

That confuse them even more.

ED should represent client aircrafts with different colours maybe, like in SP where you see yellow only the planes you can fly. That should help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I don't really mind them. Taking the time out to answer questions isn't that bad, but of course sometimes the best answer is read the manual.

Would it be feasible to have rookie slots in missions? Example, a bunch of Su-25T's that receive a triggered, repeating message that displays controls for engine start and how to find targets. These planes can be designated by name in the aircraft list, in the briefing, and in pop up messages.

They may also have different targets than regular flights. But of course, all these needs to be set up in the mission(s) that a server is running.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I don't really mind them. Taking the time out to answer questions isn't that bad, but of course sometimes the best answer is read the manual.

Oh said like a man who has yet to answer his 200th newbie in a weekend.

New guys are not a bad thing, everyone starts somewhere and sometime. But if they struggle with the idea of playing with keybinds or pressing R/shift + Home then we as a community are in real trouble :doh:

Oh said like a man who has yet to answer his 200th newbie in a weekend.

Actually it wouldn't be the first time. I've even invited them to fly with me and then been shot down.

New guys are not a bad thing, everyone starts somewhere and sometime. But if they struggle with the idea of playing with keybinds or pressing R/shift + Home then we as a community are in real trouble :doh:

That's why I said sometimes the best answer is read the manual, though even then some people will learn much better by example or doing things hands on. They might read the manual 20 times and not get it, but have someone walk them through once or twice and then be OK.

Are there any dedicated training servers they can be directed to?

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

How about we stop arguing about if its ok to help them and forget our online attack missions, and actually sit down and find a solution for those poor little ''steam invaders''?

Having them hopping on a server setted up for battle and not for training, for me is a no go.

There are people that dnt use TS and need the chat to post vital information(hdg, alt etc).

For me it is better to point those people to a training server (if there is any)

setted up particularly for basic training, keyboard functions etc, posted on massages through

the use of mission triggers or SLMOD.

ED should have such a server long before their move on steam. Even the training videos for the su25t are bugged...(Wags said that he will redo them himself) but this had to be done before they gave the su25t for free. It was intended as a good advertisement after all. But believe me, many new people that came from steam, tried the tut videos and they just uninstalled the game. I am afraid to say that this looks like there is no business plan behind the steam move. Many ''steam invaders'' where already disappointed from the game without even knowing it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

Sun Tzu, The Art of War