How many CPU-cores will be supported in future by EDGE?

Im asking this because of planning to upgrade next month with new releasing of following Ivy Bridge-e Models:

i7-4820K : 4Core 3.7 GHz

i7-4930K : 6Core 3.4 GHz

i7-4960X : 6Core 3.6 GHz

The 4Core has a higher standard frequency than 6Cores and should be much better overclockable because of less heat production.

So it would be important to know, if EDGE is planned to use of all cores or limited again.

The better overclockable and cheaper i7-4820K will be the right choice if EDGE doesn´t support more then 4Cores.

I really hope that some one can give me at least a direction where EDGE will go in future.

Regards

Terrorvogel

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...

Isn´t there at least a little specs from devs of this sheer endless EDGE "ghost"?

I don´t want any exact release dates or something but at least a direction where EDGE will lead in future, would be very reassuring for us all.

Regards

Terrorvogel

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...

Nope, they have specifically stated, that EDGE is still being developed and currently it is impossible to go into any details. What they do say, however, is that adding better multicore support for DCS is underway, however it is unclear whether it has anything to do with EDGE.

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

If you want to overclock you cant go wrong with four cores really.

DCS doesnt use any of the power it could with four cores and I would be skeptical that they harness the power of six cores anyway.

Games are not quite in the same realm as video or other things where you can equally divide work in to n number of pieces and tackle it.

I dont see how you can go wrong if ED get nearly full usage from all four cores at this point in time.

If ED spreads the code into enough separate threads then 4 overclocked cores will be beaten by 6 cores at regular speed. Next year there will be 8 core chips.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If ED spreads the code into enough separate threads then 4 overclocked cores will be beaten by 6 cores at regular speed. Next year there will be 8 core chips.

Question is, how long will it take em to achieve this.

Currently, DCS only uses 2 threads. (sound engine has its own)

It has been like this for a while now, and i don't see it changing anytime soon.

Also, ED have mentioned they would gradually add multiple threads, instead of one big switch.

So by the time we have 4 seperate threads its most likely 2015, maybe even later.

So i'd say a 4 core CPU is plenty for now and the coming 1.5 to 2 years for DCS.

Probably even longer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Does a simple terrain engine really need that many cores? Processing trees separately from buildings would just be silly.

Even AAA games don't take full advantage of multiple cores because coding it is a royal pain in the ass. And we're talking about the devs who let explosion FX from 1998 drop gaming computers down to single-digit FPS.

Just saying.

After reading this lines i´ll go with the cheaper quadcore and overclock the hell out of it.:)

Because of the very little information since EDGE was announced, i´m not sure that that we can expect great performance increase in "near" future of the next years.

In my opinion the devs should primarily solve the seriously existing performance issue before making one module after another. This is quite essential for the further future of DCS. But thats only my opinion.

How about a new DCS:Multi-Multithread?

I really would pay for this! This would be much cheaper in long term than hopeless upgrading our rigs with thousands of dollars.

Regards

Terrorvogel

• Like 1

Does a simple terrain engine really need that many cores? Processing trees separately from buildings would just be silly.

Even AAA games don't take full advantage of multiple cores because coding it is a royal pain in the ass. And we're talking about the devs who let explosion FX from 1998 drop gaming computers down to single-digit FPS.

Just saying.

Considering how huge of an abomination FSX is with default settings and detailed scenery mods, if they need to use 6 cores I'm all for it. Anything to make terrain loading fluid without pop-ins.

I'm still happily using my old 1366 i7 930. I can wait a bit till we see how EDGE pans out.

• 1 year later...

slight improvement most likely due to more CPU cache.

i would not bother today with anything more than a regular quad core, only reason to get the socket 2011 6 cores for gaming is if you want triple channel memory, which isnt that neccecity with GPU`s today having 3-4gigs so very little movement between RAM and GPU once the game is loaded

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wait for EDGE some say? You do realize that we don't even know when the ALPHA is going to be released? Then you'll have another few months with guys saying 'wait until it goes out of beta.'

". Personally I don't think waiting for EDGE is reasonable. The GPU/CPU usage balance will most probably shift slightly toeards better GPU utilization and that's it. All other rules for building a machine for DCS will still apply. Meaning an overpowered (relative to a normal gaming rig) CPU with an emphasis on single-core performance, i.e. any money you have should go into clock speed rather than anything above 4 core count.

I would go with the 5820 6-Core i7 and use the saved money on a very fast SSD as this helps a lot.

I am gaming on a 7.2k rpm HD meanwhile while waiting for my parts to finally arrive and I tell you, being used to moderate SSD speed this HD thing drives me nuts, twice the CPU Power and more than twice the GPU power in my new system are spoiled by the slow HD.

Take a PCIe based SSD and eliminate loading times during the game to a minimum. That takes you further than a high priced 6 or 8 core would.

DDR4 is still a bottleneck, today systems suffer most from very slow RAM compared to anything else in modern PC's. Don't spend too much on fancy modules but rather get more RAM from a solid manufacturer and double the amount so you might be able to run DCS from a RAM-Drive.

32GB should be OK to do this, devided 16/16 RAM/RAM-Disk. That is what I aim for.

As far as OC goes, you better not take the current standard i7's as their heat spreader is not the best Intel ever made. Take one of the new DDR4 capable i7's 5820 or 5930 as they have a soldered heat spreader and thus can dissipate heat far better than i.e a 4790k Devils Canyon, which is a great CPU, just not for OC'ing.

Get a water-colour too, less noise and cooler CPU :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If it is so important that your machine is geared up for DCS World 2.0, then the only sensible approach is to wait.

You can speculate, you can take a punt, and go for whatever, but unless ED issue details of what to expect, then you may well just be wasting your money.

Stick with what you have until Edge appears, and only then can you safely decide which way to go.

What is a couple of months wait in the big scheme of things?

but unless ED issue details of what to expect, then you may well just be wasting your money.

not really. read up on DX11 theres your base line

Asus x99, i7 5930k, 32g mem, MSI 1070GTX, 970 Samsung M.2, LG 35in Ultra-Wide, TrackIR 4

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dx11 has many different results, it all depends on developers and their engines. Looking at recent vids of edge looks like it's running very good. But yes wait and see until we are actually flying the alpha. Even then things will constantly change.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• Direct X 11 support
  • Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains
  • Improved weather
  • Improved lighting
  • Clipmap support for new maps
  • Higher object counts
  • Higher resolution ground terrain mesh for new maps
  • More detailed and solid tree models for new maps
  • Better graphical effects
  • High resolution road textures for new maps
  • Ability for road signs and light signals for new maps
  • Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.) for new maps
  • Skeleton animation for infantry
  • Better use of multiple GPUs (CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain)
  • Ability to create dedicated servers in the future
  • Unified front end and simulation .exe
  • Improved API sound support

So we stay with 2 active cores.

So we stay with 2 active cores.

For now, yes. If i understand them correctly that goes for the graphics engine though. I could very much imagine that decoupling certain tasks into asynchronous threads should be possible and beneficial (AI decision making routines for example, those don't need to run synchronous with the core engine).

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

For now, yes. If i understand them correctly that goes for the graphics engine though. I could very much imagine that decoupling certain tasks into asynchronous threads should be possible and beneficial (AI decision making routines for example, those don't need to run synchronous with the core engine).

I think you've misunderstood.