KH-31P missiles

All,

in this mission, it seems that the KH-31P anti-ship missiles are having almost no effect on the health of ships. Many many multiple hits are required to damage ships, and even make them sink.

It almost looks like the missiles miss the ship, as i see after hit the water going up instead of seeing ship damage.

What damage would a direct hit of a KH-31P missile inflict to a medium cruiser in real life? How many hits are required to sink it?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110990

Sven

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

The splash you see is just a visual bug. Damage is still done.

The simplistic health model of ships requires lots of hits to sink them, so many that Harpoons are practically ineffective. And both Kh-31 variants have slightly smaller warheads than the Harpoon.

AFAIK there is also no reduction of effectiveness for damaged ships, when hitting them with an ARM should knock out radars and make them unable to use certain weapons at the very least.

Edited by maturin

Ships in general need some work on their damage model, and I'm sure this is something ED would like to get to one day. I can see a modern super carrier taking a lot of punishment before sinking due to their design, but a small frigate isn't going to take well to an anti-ship missile. However, like any military vehicle you don't have to destroy it to take it out of the fight - something that isn't modeled on ships. Hopefully we will see something like this down the road for ships (and maybe vehicles).

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

It almost looks like the missiles miss the ship, as i see after hit the water going up instead of seeing ship damage.

Thank you for reminding me about this one. It seems to be related to the vertical angle the weapon has when hitting the ship.

If you fire from a vertical position weapon will hit as expected, when hitting from a altitude of 3000 meters or so you will see the water splash and when firing horizontal from 1000 meters or below it will hit as normal.

Will need to do some testing and post trackfiles though to make an bug report.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Thank you for reminding me about this one. It seems to be related to the vertical angle the weapon has when hitting the ship.

If you fire from a vertical position weapon will hit as expected, when hitting from a altitude of 3000 meters or so you will see the water splash and when firing horizontal from 1000 meters or below it will hit as normal.

Will need to do some testing and post trackfiles though to make an bug report.

Find a track of my "anti-ship" mission added. Check out the missiles behavior.

[/TABLE]

Thanks for the track. Just tried to replay it but i cant view any of the units whit F7 view and the like.

Map is also empty, so cant select units there either.

Also, for some reason i can't accelerate the time when replaying the track.

Anyone know a workaround these issues? Not much use in replaying the track without being able to see what's going on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

• 2 months later...

Discovered that since the last versions of DCS world, by playing my mission explained here in Multi player mode ... http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110990

the anti-ship missiles have increased effectiveness since version 1.2.5. Thank you ED.

Sven

[/TABLE]