Catalyst 13.8B - Back to the box!

Hello Everyone!

I'm curious about the fellow AMD owners experiences about the new 13.8 Catalyst Beta Driver and I wanted to share mine.

Using a single 7950, I updated lately and guess what it gave me 25-30% FPS decrease in DCSW, which is huuuuge! So today I went back to 13.4 and guess what FPS is back on track with 30 average.

Anybody else XPd something similar? And what about Crossfire?

TrailBlazer

why would you go back to 13.4?

13.8B adds some tweaks and Frame Pacing for XFire.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

13.6B2

13.8Beta is doing great for me.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I tried 13.8 beta this morning. I had a decrease of about 11 fps when flying my A-10C. Re-installed 13.6 beta 2 and fps went back up to where they originally were. Tried 13.8 again and again saw a 11 fps decreae. I'm now back to 13.6. My gfx card is a single 5770 and so I need every fps I can possibly muster!

Regards,

Milli

What you all are not understanding is that these newer drivers are mainly for people running 2 or more cards. The highest drivers that I have used would have to be 13.5 or 13.6. Since I play several games with crossfire on I prefer the new beta drivers since it smooths things out

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR 4, MSI Ventus 2070 Super, Samsung 970 M.2 NVMe, WD Blue 512GB SSD, TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Acer AH101 WMR

What you all are not understanding is that these newer drivers are mainly for people running 2 or more cards. The highest drivers that I have used would have to be 13.5 or 13.6. Since I play several games with crossfire on I prefer the new beta drivers since it smooths things out

Yep we all got that the frame pacing is the most important improvement in 13.8, but as there's no label sticked to the 13.8 package saying 'XFIRE ONLY!' we didn't expect a driver to decrease the fps so significantly and as I saw some posts around lately regarding new FPS problems with 1.2.5 update, I was thinking this issue needs to be noted :)

Cheers

TrailBlazer

Problem reported to AMD.

What exactly did you report to them?

"Low FPS in DCSW", they'll look at it and laugh... I've been reporting that for over 2 years since I got my HD7950

Frame Pacing isnt Just for XFire.

Frame Pacing Stops the GPU from Rendering Partial Frames even on Single GPUs.

Which will most likely be a lower FPS Number, as the partial frames the GPU Used to render and throw away are no longer rendered. And FPS Counters do count them.

Most of my Games are a lot SMOOTHER, on a Single GPU, All Games run VSYNC'd (Cept DCSW).

Removing VSYNC Cap, I lose about 5-10 FPS on some games(usually in the upper 70s/80s), but overall they are SMOOTHER. and those 5-10 FPS that are lost are of no importance as I VSYNC my Screens at 60 FPS/Hz, and

There's a Few glitches in 13.8B though, it takes a few Reboots to filter out.

On both of my systems, after installing the driver, without rebooting, if I Booted a game, the GPU would not spool up from it's Idle clocks, if it Did it would spool up to 501 MHz.

Fans wouldnt spin up if I had 100% Set in Manual Mode, unless I Opened CCC and Forced it (the CCC fan profile) to load,

Otherwise fans would sit at 30 or so %, even with 100% GPU Usuage, which causes heat build up, which causes throttling.

* This bug has already been Confirmed internally with AMD,

So be careful when running furmark and stuff, as you can easilly send your gpu to the thermal limit and your fans will happily sit at 30% and let the GPU Fry.

Edited by SkateZilla

"Low FPS in DCSW", they'll look at it and laugh... I've been reporting that for over 2 years since I got my HD7950

That might be true, but let's hope for the best. There certainly was a problem becouse it was stuttering a lot. I don't think Fraps FPS counter lied. It was stuttering so much that I could not control the aircrafts and I crashed into the terrain. That last part actually happened several times.

Now, after reverting to 13.4, everything is fine.

I have no idea if it was related to that thing you mentioned about the card not using the right clocks. I should have checked before reverting the driver.

Which will most likely be a lower FPS Number, as the partial frames the GPU Used to render and throw away are no longer rendered. And FPS Counters do count them.

Most of my Games are a lot SMOOTHER, on a Single GPU, All Games run VSYNC'd (Cept DCSW).

According to AMD's website for these drivers they state the following

"Support for AMD CrossFire™ Frame Pacing

Frame Pacing ensures that frames rendered across multiple GPUs in a CrossFire configuration will be displayed at an even and regular pace.

Enabled through the AMD Catalyst Control Center; Globally or on a per application basis.

Frame Pacing is enabled by default.

Supported for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications, and resolutions up to and including 2560x1600 (single display)."

So yes the frame pacing may help single gpu's but according to AMD and the reviews of these drivers they are mainly built for multi gpu systems. With these drivers I actually gain about 3-5fps but overall it is lower than the 13.5's that I was on before. However, the majority of my games that utilize xfire they run a ton smoother and stick at 60fps with V-sync on.

EDIT: So what I am saying is that single GPU users shouldnt even worry about these drivers, for now at least.

Edited by Spadje

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR 4, MSI Ventus 2070 Super, Samsung 970 M.2 NVMe, WD Blue 512GB SSD, TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Acer AH101 WMR

I may end up rolling back to 13.6 Beta 2, as Im still having issues with some things (non DCS Related)

AMD is aware of them though.

Im Also Upgrading to either a 7990 (again) or a 9970 this winter... 9970s arent coming out as soon as rumors are suggesting, 7990s will be sub $650 by Xmas, and with Flash Deals, I can prolly pick one up for $500, and use it and abuse it, and keep it as a backup.

Edited by SkateZilla

• ED Team

I am having trouble with profiles I had set for various screen configurations, other than that it seems to be performing ok

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I am having trouble with profiles I had set for various screen configurations, other than that it seems to be performing ok

My Profiles were for the most part OK.

Single Screen

Extended Desktop Left

Extended Desktop Right

Extended 3 Screens

But all the Eyefinity Profiles were messed up, when I engaged it, it cloned my desktop 3x and screwed up alot of stuff, so I had to delete the profile, and re-do the eyefinity configuration, then re-save the profile.

I stopped using Bezel Correction because:

A. it makes off-Standard Resolutions

B. forcing the GPU to draw over 300K px that you cant see, waste of Power.

C. I Can just move my Screens to overlap, and it's nearly perfect alignment.

Removing VSYNC Cap, I lose about 5-10 FPS on some games(usually in the upper 70s/80s), but overall they are SMOOTHER. and those 5-10 FPS that are lost are of no importance as I VSYNC my Screens at 60 FPS/Hz, and

There's a Few glitches in 13.8B though, it takes a few Reboots to filter out.

On both of my systems, after installing the driver, without rebooting, if I Booted a game, the GPU would not spool up from it's Idle clocks, if it Did it would spool up to 501 MHz.

Fans wouldnt spin up if I had 100% Set in Manual Mode, unless I Opened CCC and Forced it (the CCC fan profile) to load,

Otherwise fans would sit at 30 or so %, even with 100% GPU Usuage, which causes heat build up, which causes throttling.

* This bug has already been Confirmed internally with AMD,

So be careful when running furmark and stuff, as you can easilly send your gpu to the thermal limit and your fans will happily sit at 30% and let the GPU Fry.

A good and deep explanation there :thumbup:, but if they put a massive sized dogpoo in front of you with a label 'ICE CREAM' you'll most probably taste it only one time and then stick with the good old Snickers instead.

You can imagine that experiences shared by the guys was based on more like getting a slideshow at places where there was video before than what the fraps counter showed them :D

TrailBlazer

I took a massive fps hit with 13.8 on my 7970. I reverted back to 13.6 also. Can we even get 13.4? Would it be better than 13.6?

Well haven't tried this, but I'm curious. If you give it a try post the results about differences please :D

TrailBlazer