steam and ED DCS World reg key's

That was fast !

Thanks a lot ED, having DCS modules on steam is just soooooo cool !

As a FC3 owner I am looking forward to be able to activate new DCS : FC modules as well as UH-1H of course.

ED, you just made my day.

Using Steam for nearly 9 years now, having hundreds of games/dlc and never had a single issue.

So, Steam haters : just don't switch to Steam and everything will be all right.

For the others, see you there ;)

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that even an announcement like this can have negative posts... :doh:

So what you actually say is that ED should ask and wait everyone's permission before they will make steps forward and things that ,they think ,will help the sim grow ? ...This is not happening in any company!

Thanks ED! :thumbup:

As far as my personal information goes, YES. Anyone should ask for my permission before giving someone else the ability to charge my credit card. I am not a "Steam hater". I just don't like their service. It's my personal choice to not use their product. On the other hand I don't want to impose my choice of not using Steam or any other service or product to those that want to use them. So why someone who likes to use Steam want to impose their choice on to others?

That was fast !

Thanks a lot ED, having DCS modules on steam is just soooooo cool !

As a FC3 owner I am looking forward to be able to activate new DCS : FC modules as well as UH-1H of course.

ED, you just made my day.

Using Steam for nearly 9 years now, having hundreds of games/dlc and never had a single issue.

So, Steam haters : just don't switch to Steam and everything will be all right.

For the others, see you there wink.gif

Well, if personal information (especially the ones regarding credit card info) was shared with Steam then, no. It's not all right. If you want to share all your personal billing info with the whole world then that is your right. Just don't try to take away my right to protect my personal information and wallet.

So,what you are saying is that we must bend over and let anyone do whatever they want with us and our information just because someone else is also doing it? Security through obscurity? When we bought our games we used sensitive information, for example our credit card billing info. With all that is happening in the digital world don't you think that our concern is legit. We have seen how big companies "protect" their customers information (and by "protect" I mean that many of them don't even go through the trouble to encrypt their databases). And after all it's my data. Shouldn't I have a say about what is shared with whom?

Again a little vague. With the info shared with Steam, can Steam or anyone else, connect the dots and find which serial is connected with what name and credit card number? If no then I guess it's fine.

I am all for privacy'n'stuff and I am even a big Snowden fan ... but seriously, wtf?

ED gave Steam valid serial numbers. There are no CC information or adresses or whatever encrypted in these numbers. It is just that Steam can tell, "yes, the guy who just entered a serial number uses a legal serial number". Then, and only then, that serial number is connected to your stream account. And if you don't switch over to steam at all, steam knows nuts about you.

I am all for privacy'n'stuff and I am even a big Snowden fan ... but seriously, wtf?

ED gave Steam valid serial numbers. There are no CC information or adresses or whatever encrypted in these numbers. It is just that Steam can tell, "yes, the guy who just entered a serial number uses a legal serial number". Then, and only then, that serial number is connected to your stream account. And if you don't switch over to steam at all, steam knows nuts about you.

And how exactly could we know what it was shared from this short announcement?

"Dear all,

Today we were informed that all DCS activation keys purchased through Eagle Dynamics, with the exception of the Black Shark 2 Upgrade, have been merged to Steam.

Matt"

This announcement talks about "...activation keys purchased through Eagle Dynamics...". How can we know that these "activation keys" don't come attached with personal info like who is the owner etc. All we ask is to know what was shared. Why are we treated like we did something wrong?

"Dear all,

Today we were informed that all DCS activation keys purchased through Eagle Dynamics, with the exception of the Black Shark 2 Upgrade, have been merged to Steam.

Matt"

This announcement talks about "...activation keys purchased through Eagle Dynamics...". How can we know that these "activation keys" don't come attached with personal info like who is the owner etc. All we ask is to know what was shared. Why are we treated like we did something wrong?

Because they are ... activation keys, not user accounts, not credit card data, just activation keys. C0ff made it even clearer a few postings earlier.

I mean, hey, it's okay to ask if it was unclear, but your ranting about how ED sold our intimatest details we scribble down in our diaries ... c'mon. :o)

• Like 1

"Dear all,

Matt"

:megalol:

You remind me my wife somehow (no offense intended of course).

When I tell her :

"I love you honey!"

She used to answer something like :

- " Huh ? What have you done wrong ? :noexpression: "

:D

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

:megalol:

You remind me my wife somehow (no offense intended of course).

When I tell her :

"I love you honey!"

She used to answer something like :

- " Huh ? What have you done wrong ? :noexpression: "

:D

Since she IS your wife, she must know you very well. Come on now, share with us. What have you done wrong?:D

Dear metal hawk if you are able to find my credit card number and the three digits control using only my key registering code i promise you to buy any module you want for the rest of your life.

Please trust in ED, I'm pretty confident in they.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

BTW in case someone never heard of, steam has really "nice" reputation concering customers' data protection. One more reason to be worried...

The two cases are unrelated, you shouldn't talk about things you don't understand. If you don't use Steam then there is no affect to you and there is nothing to be bothered about, c0ff already stated that it was simply just a list of valid keys.

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

but I still do not have a reg key for ED DCS World inorder to join steam community..

I would have to delete my Ed install, and down load the Steam? I really don't want to do that.

DCS World on the steam library is F2P. Just download it. I just added my A-10c and BS2 keys, just waiting on FC3 and huey support

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: :joystick: :pilotfly:

AMD FX8350 8 core @ Stock Clock

G. Skill X Series 32GB (4x 8GB) @ 2200Mhz OC

GTX 1070 8GB

Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler

Dear metal hawk if you are able to find my credit card number and the three digits control using only my key registering code i promise you to buy any module you want for the rest of your life.

Please trust in ED, I'm pretty confident in they.

It's not ED I don't trust. It's Steam:

BTW in case someone never heard of, steam has really "nice" reputation concering customers' data protection. One more reason to be worried...

And just because I am not able to hack (since I am not a programer) doesn't mean that others can't.

And by the way, all my concerns were raised from the original announcement where it wasn't clear what was actually shared. This is what I wrote a few posts back regarding c0ff's reply:

Again a little vague. With the info shared with Steam, can Steam or anyone else, connect the dots and find which serial is connected with what name and credit card number? If no then I guess it's fine.

All I want is just an official word that no personal info was shared.

Oh please ED, let us trade our upgrade keys for a regular, all it takes is a simple form where we can provide both keys and receive a new full version.

that..:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Was a long time 'enemy' of steam, but caved in sometime this year and have to say I am very happy with it. We already use the starforce DRM, I don't think steams online policy is anymore invasive than that.

I realize many people (like me) are not all that thrilled by the massive amount of steamtards, but from ED's perspective this is a gold mine. Just think, if only 500 people buy something from ED on steam, this was already worth it.

Hell even through me, everyone in my friendlist will always see me in DCS:W and will have to check at one point wtf I am doing there 24/7. :)

Steam received just a plain list of valid serial numbers

OK, but there are still two more question:

Q1. Why ED just gave this list to Steam? I do not believe someone from Steam just emailed ED like:

Steam: "hey folks, we'd like to have list of all serials, can you send it to us?"

ED: "yeah of course, we always like to send whatever to whoever asks for it!"

Q2. What is Steam going to do with that list? Even if it is just list of serials, they are still unique identification of customers (even if not to Steam). I do not like the idea of Steam harvesting some info and sending it back to ED like "customer with this key purchased these products on Steam" etc...

• Like 1

OK, but there are still two more question:

Q1. Why ED just gave this list to Steam? I do not believe someone from Steam just emailed ED like:

Steam: "hey folks, we'd like to have list of all serials, can you send it to us?"

Q2. What is Steam going to do with that list? Even if it is just list of serials, they are still unique identification of customers (even if not to Steam). I do not like the idea of Steam harvesting some info and sending it back to ED like "customer with this key purchased these products on Steam" etc...

The point behind all of this is: to be able to ACTIVATE YOUR KEYS IN STEAM.

I had enough of this, why don't you guys take your time to read the damn posts instead of posting tons of questions ? And not only for this, but for everything that has happened and will happen. Thanks for your collaboration.

­­­­­­

why dont they take time to educate themselves before posting complete nonsense, and then persisting with it.

product key=/= personal information.

At this point I think you are just trolling, but whatever I'll bite.

The fact is your statement here is a ridiculous exaggeration. ED didn't just hand over serial numbers for giggles or because Steam just asked for the hell of it. There were plenty of people who asked if they could activate their existing purchased DCS products on Steam. That can't be done without serial numbers to ensure someone isn't just activating something they never purchased.

A programmer at Steam then enabled the registration feature that will compare the serials you enter to what is on the list. That guy then probably went to go look at tits on the internet instead of rubbing his hands and cackling that he accomplished his master plan.

Q2. What is Steam going to do with that list?

They are going to destroy everything you love...

Even if it is just list of serials, they are still unique identification of customers (even if not to Steam). I do not like the idea of Steam harvesting some info and sending it back to ED like "customer with this key purchased these products on Steam" etc...

These are serial numbers, nobody knows you are attached to a serial number until you actually register the product on Steam. If you don't register on Steam, then nobody there knows whether you or Gary Coleman owns that serial number.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I have never used Steam and I was wondering if someone could let me know from there experience if Steam requires an application on your computer to run in the background all the time like what Electronic Arts uses. I had some problems with Electronic Arts using there App to send advertising to my computer and I had to always turn this App off each time I started my computer. Eventually I had to back away from EA. Can someone let us know a little about their experience using STEAM.

Well i have steam and use it alot and normally like to keep all my games on it but am not so sure about putting DCS world into it as there was something about updates being behind none steam version of DCS World when they're released threw the autoupdater.

Am not sure this still applies?

Its a good idea to give folk that want to use it the opportunity. :)

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

OK Guys, Stop with the Conspiracy theories.

People wanted to be able to activate their Externally Purchased Keys on Steam, that's All that was done.

Steam receives a Plain TXT List of Valid Starfoce Activation Keys that have been issued for Each Module.

its a List of Serials for Each Module,

which looks like:

XX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

So when you register your module with steam,

When you paste your Serial Code, it's in their database of valid serials.

It's a Starforce Valid Serials List, nothing in regards to Customer Info is needed.

There are Several Games that used the same/similar method.

They (Starforce or Publisher) Updates Steam's Serial Number Database when you buy a copy of ArmA II from Walmart, and When you buy a DISC copy via Amazon/Online Retailer.

All that's being done (my "theory", since Im not c0ff, I cant tell you how it's actually done)

is the list of Serial Numbers purhcased before the Agreement with Steam is exported from the Serial number Database, Saved as a specific File, Sent to Steam, Steam Takes that file, and uses their software to Import the Valid Serial Numbers into their Database.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

OK. Haven't bothered with reading this whole thread, so pardon my possible ignorance, but this is the impression I got:

IIRC, when ED first announced Steam integration, it was said that only new buyers will benefit from it, so no way to turn your old modules bought in ED shop into Steam-integrated modules. Quite a few people were sad about this, because they wanted their modules to be integrated into Steam, but not for the price of buying them again.

Now, here comes news that Steam integration of our old modules is possible. I don't know, but it seems to me that somebody from ED had to negotiate with Steam pretty hard to make it happen.

And here we go again. ED tried to make their customers and fans happy by doing something they want, and instead of them coming and saying "Thank You", they rush in with pitchforks and torches, spreading conspiracy theories (as bright, substantiated and logical as conspiracy theories always are), and start blaming both Steam and ED.

Sometimes I'm really wondering why are ED doing what are they doing for community like this. :cry:

As for me, I'll give this one a miss. Yes, I do use own some games on Steam and have no problems with it whatsoever, but I can't see any single benefit of transferring my DCSW into it. However, if it brings more customers to ED, I'm all for it.