Official ED Statement on the Wiki requested

Hello,

I want to ask whether I can get some official statement of the ED Wiki Admin about the plans on how to handle the wiki at all. The wiki is a very important place to share Information as well as recieving information, it also informs about current Game status information. But due to the latest Spam issue the wiki has been closed for editing for registered users. This means that registered users can log in to the wiki, but they are also no more allowed to add new information or handle pages and informations at all.

But I dont want to complain, Spambots are now no more allowed to create spams. So this is a good thing...well somehow at least. Because it does not mean that there are no spam bots at all...

The wiki has been closed for editing on 6th Of June. Unfortunately it wasn´t closed for creating new accounts. So the wiki is beeing flooded with roundabout 100 new registrations each day...since 6th June almost 70 days went over...so calculate how many spambots are beeing parked in the wiki database...correct, roundabout 7000 new registered accounts....and thats just a rough guess...it might be a lot more.

So I really would like to ask on how´s the plan going on the wiki...I get the feeling that it has recieved a status of somethings that can easily been dismissed.

I´ve recieved some information about what is planed, but since there are no updates I start to be a little concerened about the wiki.

So again, I really would apreciate an official statement on how the wiki is about to be handled.

Thanks in advance

regards

Memphis

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

The wiki is also the sole source of documentation for the Scripting Engine and we have been unable to update it as needed. Making it whitelisted or even moving over to wikia or something... anything just to edit it again would be great.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Yes please to a whitelist. I logged a Ticket #23678 about it last month and was notified that

"Editing is temporarily disabled on the wiki due to a flood of spambots"

The idea of a whitelist is a good, if this could be implemented on the cheap, I'm all for it.

Redfish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

I know about further plans about the wiki but cant talk about that right now, this is someones others job. I only would like to get a statement of the official Wiki Admin.

A whitelist would be a good Idea, but as far as I know it is no more needed as soon as the plans have been realized...the question is when will they be realized since we do need the wiki.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

If public write access to the wiki is not an option due to spam bots, I'd suggest only granting write access on a individual basis. To reduce the workload for the ED staff for this, and to shorten bureaucratic overhead, that could be managed by trustworthy community members, i.e. the ED Tester Team members. Make them wiki admins!

Wiki would be nice to have all the modding info gathered in one place. Now everything is scattered on the forums. Getting into modding is hard, the learning curve is vertical without any official docs.

This was somethings that I had in my head already but couldn´t realize since the editing function has been disabled. But as soon as it is available again I´ll care about that.

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

This was somethings that I had in my head already but couldn´t realize since the editing function has been disabled. But as soon as it is available again I´ll care about that.

Cool! :thumbup:

Now we wait for ED. :book:

thanks for the update, EB. I fully understand that this is a difficult situation. Please keep us posted about this, we really need the wiki back again quite soon. Otherwise we wont be able to editi all the new thinks in a proper timeframe as too much stuff would have been added to the software then...we are only a few people who are working on the wiki.

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection