The Huey Shakes

monkie

I have a question and possible suggestion in respect to the shaking effect of the main instrument panel.

I know in the current build the shaking is there to help us "feel" that the airframe is either near maximum speed or in "transition", the shaking can be quite violent. I was wondering if this effect can be lightened greatly and give us a slightly shaking panel during all phases of light to give a little bit more of the sensation of being in a helicopter.

It's been over 20 years since I've ridden in a Huey and I couldn't say if such a transational vibration is even realistic but maybe a little touch like that might help with the immersion.

Thoughts?

Monk

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

Hi. I'll mention about Camera Jiggle Toggle (LShift K). But what you want is more than this, right?

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

That cockpit panels shaking appears randomly or is triggered by some inflight transitions, ex: going from a very low to a very high airspeed or vice-versa! As i see, it isn't necessarily related to blades stall (vortex ring state), where you think it would mostly be found...! Although the shaking might follow a predictable rule on which it comes up, it is barely understandable so far!

Let's hope some huey engineer or someone from ED who is capable for answering all the questions related to the bad or less known huey's behaviours, will clarify these problems!

Good day!

Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on!

Making DCS a better place for realism.

Let it be, ED!

The aircraft shakes when transitioning into and out of ETL and it starts again while approaching maximum speed. It is a universal trait of rotary wing, just like the helicopter rocking back and forth on startup.

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

The aircraft shakes when transitioning into and out of ETL and it starts again while approaching maximum speed. It is a universal trait of rotary wing, just like the helicopter rocking back and forth on startup.

Exactly!

And if the amount of shaking is realistic / can occur in real life?

Yes. Will the pilots find it acceptable? No idea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Hi. I'll mention about Camera Jiggle Toggle (LShift K). But what you want is more than this, right?

I'm thinking a slight shaking of the Huey panel, nothing as violent as what is implemented for VRS or max speed, maybe 20% of those effects. I was thinking a slight vibration that would come and go, just enough to give some perception of the vibrations associated with helicopter flying.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

I'm thinking a slight shaking of the Huey panel, nothing as violent as what is implemented for VRS or max speed, maybe 20% of those effects. I was thinking a slight vibration that would come and go, just enough to give some perception of the vibrations associated with helicopter flying.

I will agree with you. It's nothing like that in RL, far less vibration

The only problem is that its hard to perceive vibrations with just the eye alone. Personally, I like where it is now, its immersive as hell.

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

This has been discussed to great detail already, just have a look around the UH-1 board.

I'll just comment with what I already wrote in another topic.

To maybe give another view to the entire issue.

Just because we don't have the "seat of the pants feeling" we HAVE to rely on visual feedback for control corrections (yes, I am ignoring FFB users right now).

In my eyes this massive shaking (been confirmed way overdone by several rl pilots by now already) is rather misleading in that process.

I vote for reducing it to a realistical level !

"It's overdone on purpose" is no valid reason to me, again my personal opinion.

It wasn't done for the GAU-8 to "feel" the gun when firing, why start with this "compensations for no seat of the pants feeling" now ?

I know the ship shakes and there are vibrations.

-> But if the module claims to be the most realistic representation of the UH-1H there is for the pc, please keep the vibrations and shaking to a real level too! <-

About the whobble on start up, yes I too think it's overdone.

If I were the engineer in charge, I'd ground that helicopter to get the head balanced again.

My personal opinion on the entire shaking story.

MadCat

This has been discussed to great detail already, just have a look around the UH-1 board.

With over 90,000 threads and almost 2 million posts, there is bound to be a lot of repetition as new or occasional users cycle through. Often people don't search very deep or don't feel the search has turned up what they are looking for.

Think I got misunderstood.

I didn't raise my finger telling the old "use the search before asking silly questions" story.

It was meant as a hint to have a look around the board, because there already is a lot additional information about this topic,

including comments from actual UH-1 pilots.

But as you already picked up the "search topic", another (friendly) hint:

A very simple search for "shake" on the UH-1 board, already yields all the most relevant threads about it.:thumbup:

Have a nice day !

MadCat

I agree with you MadCat.

I will only add that I think it should be an option that you can toggle on/off like head shake. I think that would be the best of both worlds for the people who want that visual feedback, as well as those of us who prefer a more accurate visual representation, regardless of the lack of physical feedback.

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

All I was asking for were opinions on the possibility of adding a slight shaking of the instrument panel (the effect already coded) that would come and go randomly during the flight of the helicopter.

I never intended for it to be a discussion on VRS, the shaking of the helicopter during start up, whether the current flight model is realistic... etc etc etc.

Sorry it took so many directions.