CBU CCIP/CCRP

ferriwheel

Given the current state of the CCIP/CCRP code for A-10A, is the impact point of CBU's calculated the same way as low drag dumb bombs? Because it surely feels that way, i.e., bomblets fall short significantly unless released at high altitude or in a near vertical dive (tricks practiced by many DCS pilots to achieve better accuracy).

Some people are arguing that CBU impact point calculation is written for high altitude CCRP release but I'm suspecting that it's simply because during a high altitude release the bomb travels long enough that in the end it loses most of its forward momentum and falls nearly vertically. If the bomb breaks into bomblets after this point, the impact point is bound to be close to that of a dumb bomb released with the same parameters because all that's left to do is free fall in either case (assuming no wind).

I'm also wondering how this compares to the real word algorithm. Do real world pilots also employ the same tricks for reasonably accurate CBU release or rely on superior bomb trajectory algorithm?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry I didn't see this thread before I reported much the same problem on the "Problmems with A-10A" thread.

Don't worry about it lxsapper, as long as we can get to the bottom of this CBU behavior.

It appears that this indeed is a bug carried over from an earlier version of the A-10C code. Apparently it has already been fixed for A-10C.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

CBU-97's or whatever the anti-tank cluster bombs are impossible to use. Drop from 5K ft, 8Kft 3Kft... doesn't matter. Sometimes you get puffs of grey smoke followed by explosions. Sometimes no explosions. Makes no sense and is completely frustrating.

It wouldn't be so bad if the instant action mission for A-10A forced them on you. Annoying!!

this problem didnt resolve

i hope they keep an eye on it...

puffs without a hit or damage on the target

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

The problem is not with the bomb units but with the bomb trajectory computation. With mobile targets try ingress low head on, designate targets with CCRP pipper (which will give you your distance from the target at the center of your HUD), manually release bombs at about 0.2 nm from the target (just before you are on top of the target). This usually yields devastating results. Only to demonstrate the very lethal effect of CBU-97's cuz technically you are not supposed to over fly your target...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CBU-97's or whatever the anti-tank cluster bombs are impossible to use. Drop from 5K ft, 8Kft 3Kft... doesn't matter. Sometimes you get puffs of grey smoke followed by explosions. Sometimes no explosions. Makes no sense and is completely frustrating.

It wouldn't be so bad if the instant action mission for A-10A forced them on you. Annoying!!

Understanding what the CBU-97 actually does might help. The grey puffs of smoke aren't the munitions, but the jettisoned casing once the bomblets are released.

The bomblets themselves are attached to parachutes and have IR sensors that detect armored vehicles. Once they see the vehicle the rocket motor engages and the bomblet penetrates the soft top of the vehicle. This is why the explosions usually trail the grey puffs by a few seconds.

But you guys are definitely right about the CCIP. In this case, a steeper dive minimizes error, so this is one way to go until this gets fixed.

With current balistic calculations the Weapon cassings land right on target, but the hanging BLUs are way behind. Try some deliveries with the A-10C to see how diferent the information on your HUD. The C puts you in the correct possition to put the BLUs over the target. The A seems to be using balistics for non fragmentation munitions. I think the trick is really to aim ahead. If you just dive you may minimize the error (distance between the target and your hanging BLUs) putting some of the weapon skeets close enough to engage the target but you are still trusting a wrong balistic calculation.

I can totally understand that fixing this problem may not be on the top of ED's to do list. But I hope someone from ED can confirm that it has been noted and they intend to fix it eventually. Cuz when employed correctly, CBU-97 is deadly effective and it's just COOL to look at the domblets fire upon target acquisition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for posting this track. Gives me evidence that they can work... I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Question.. if there are no IR targets in range, no detonation right?

I am trying to use this ordnance on the A-10A quickstart mission (small groups of 4 - 6 T90's or BMP's moving quickly. Perhaps not the best mission to learn on. Static targets may be better.

Made this track using both diving and aiming ahead to achive reasonable sucess.

Thanks for posting this track. Gives me evidence that they can work... I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Question.. if there are no IR targets in range, no detonation right?

I am trying to use this ordnance on the A-10A quickstart mission (small groups of 4 - 6 T90's or BMP's moving quickly. Perhaps not the best mission to learn on. Static targets may be better.

You are probably doing nothing wrong, you just have to learn how to compensate for what's wrong with the HUD symbology right now. Even in that track I was not able to get my BLUs hanging directly over the target area even once, just close enough they could be effective or partially effective.

If no IR targets are found there wont be any detonation; in fact with the 97s no detonations occur, only high speed projectiles beeing shot toward the targets. But to answeer you question more specificaly, you are correct the weapons will not fire and the skeets will disarm and fall on the ground. In the game there will be a big concentration of puffs of grey dust where they fall.

You are probably doing nothing wrong, you just have to learn how to compensate for what's wrong with the HUD symbology right now. Even in that track I was not able to get my BLUs hanging directly over the target area even once, just close enough they could be effective or partially effective.

If no IR targets are found there wont be any detonation; in fact with the 97s no detonations occur, only high speed projectiles beeing shot toward the targets. But to answeer you question more specificaly, you are correct the weapons will not fire and the skeets will disarm and fall on the ground. In the game there will be a big concentration of puffs of grey dust where they fall.

big help thanks. is there a way to watch chutes drop to see how close or far off I am? weapon view aborts after deploying from main canister.

thx

I usually F7 to my target and zoom out from there along my ingress direction trying to locate a "puff of smoke" in the air and that's usually where the bomblets are. It takes some time and patience but it's not very difficult to locate them cuz you generally know where to look given that you dropped them yourself. This bomb is modeled with great detail, you can see not only every piece of bomblet hanging below its parachute, but every piece of the broken canister and the rack that stores the bomblets after the breaking up. You can also see the bomblets spin up trying to locate a target at the terminal stage as well. Very cool and satisfying to watch if they do hit something!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...
Aim about 300 - 500 meters in front and you should be getting good results.

By in front, I gather you mean ahead of vehicle's trajectory, right? 'Cause that's what I've been doing for moving targets, and I wondered whether another method existed. Apparently not.

Then how do you gauge the appropriate distance visually? Guesswork?