AI in Formation

grimm862

Is there something I am doing wrong with Flaming Cliffs 3? I can't get the wingmen to get any closer than say .7km away. I just switched over from FC2 and they use to get right up next to you and were able to maintain a solid formation. Now it seems like they just trail way back even after picking close formation. Sucks for trying to take pictures and making attack formations. Any help would be great thanks.

Is there something I am doing wrong with Flaming Cliffs 3? I can't get the wingmen to get any closer than say .7km away. I just switched over from FC2 and they use to get right up next to you and were able to maintain a solid formation. Now it seems like they just trail way back even after picking close formation. Sucks for trying to take pictures and making attack formations. Any help would be great thanks.
I've experienced that as well. They don't seem to get any closer than that.

That's a shame it use to be nice flying in FC2 in a tight diamond formation. IMO FC2 was fantastic and if the game didn't stop working I'd probably be playing that since FC3 lacks content by the boatload. There's literally so much in FC2 that just didn't make it to 3. I don't fully know why but I am sure there is a reason for it. So I don't want to be a complainer. Just a little disappointing. I had a ton of great mods for it which made it really nice to look at as well. I don't use HDR in FC3 as it blinds the hell out of me so I am really not getting any of the benefits of 3. The cockpits are nice but that's about it. OH and the sound in FC3 is lightyears beyond that in FC2. That is another good thing for FC3.

Edited by grimm862

That's a shame it use to be nice flying in FC2 in a tight diamond formation. IMO FC2 was fantastic and if the game didn't stop working I'd probably be playing that since FC3 lacks content by the boatload. There's literally so much in FC2 that just didn't make it to 3. I don't fully know why but I am sure there is a reason for it. So I don't want to be a complainer. Just a little disappointing. I had a ton of great mods for it which made it really nice to look at as well. I don't use HDR in FC3 as it blinds the hell out of me so I am really not getting any of the benefits of 3. The cockpits are nice but that's about it. OH and the sound in FC3 is lightyears beyond that in FC2. That is another good thing for FC3.
Don't forget advanced flight models too! :)

Its really annoying, and leads me to suspect that instead of oxygen being supplied to the AI cockpits at high altitudes, there is a constant stream of contact adhesive glue fumes piped in which perhaps accounts for their infuriatingly lackadaisical formation discipline. :)

You can get them to tighten up (eventually....when they decide they can be arsed) by choosing "close formation" in the comms menu*(EDIT: Sorry Grimm, just noticed you had that in OP), but they don't do a good job of maintaining formation when you hit afterburners in a sprint to give a launch more kinematic energy, or a steep climbing attitude to extend missile range etc.

If you are not careful you can easily find yourself stranded in no mans land ahead of the flight and thus in serious bother as you then become the sole target of an entire enemy formation before the rest catch up. Really p*sses me off lol. :) I'd like to know if there is a better way to do it too, or if they are just truly "Artificially Incompetent". biggrin.gif

You can do lazy S turns to let them catch up but this is obviously not ideal if you want to "dash and brake" so to speak in BVR (faster when launching missile, slowing down when defensive or to reduce closure if you want the BVR fight to last longer) . I've been flying more Russian lately as I think its far more of a challenge anyway, and in A-A I want to close as soon as possible when flying Red.

In A-A in particular I would say you don't want your flight too close anyway as there is less volume of airspace covered than in something like a good line abreast spread and/or stacks etc.

I'm looking for a squadron to join now regardless as its much more fun flying with people (never done it in DCS yet)....Been having a look at a few squadrons like the 159th Guards and 51st, both look like good setups and judging from their members posts, good people too which is important. :) I think the last time I looked at the 51st site their training places were all taken though. Does anyone know of a good site for DCS squadron resources, where I can find more info? Not meant as a thread hijack lol.....just a quick link will do rather than start a new one. Will be applying to one soon I think. :)

Edited by Biggles07

♫ ' Papa was a hairy mole.....Wherever he dug a den was his home ' ♫

• 1 year later...