rrg studios WWII sim announcement-6days left

9.JG27 DavidRed

Pacific is fun to fly if you're in an American or British plane. If you have to fly on the Japanese side against other humans, forget it.

My hope would be for the MTO. It has the most balanced aircraft matchups and the most varied terrain.

Are you saying Zeros didn't invoke fear with a good pilot aboard? Yes, if you hit one it was quite a show... but don't act like they didn't shoot anyone down. The lopsided advantage that the Zero enjoyed early in the war is what lead to the creation of "boom and zoom." It really depends on what aircraft and how many are opposing it.

However, I do agree that the European theater has a bit more parity and options available. Carrier landings and dogfights in the Pacific setting sounds pretty fun too though!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Are you saying Zeros didn't invoke fear with a good pilot aboard? Yes, if you hit one it was quite a show... but don't act like they didn't shoot anyone down. The lopsided advantage that the Zero enjoyed early in the war is what lead to the creation of "boom and zoom." It really depends on what aircraft and how many are opposing it.

I have never looked it up, but I would bet that Wildcat pilots had better than a 2:1 kill/loss ratio against the A6M (the time when your average Japanese pilot had combat experience). Anyone have that figure?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• ED Team

lts not even get into that discussion, to be totally honest, given the opportunity to fly a Zero at DCS level... I would throw down the money in a heart beat.... They arent my favourite aircraft, they weren't as "tough" as the US opposition, but they were fast and manoeuvrable, I am sure they would be a blast to fly...

I have never looked it up, but I would bet that Wildcat pilots had better than a 2:1 kill/loss ratio against the A6M (the time when your average Japanese pilot had combat experience). Anyone have that figure?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I always had a blast on Zeke vs Wildcats server on HL. I'd always fly the Zeke and scored many kills. Either the pilots were inexperienced or my bird was just zipping around like crazy shooting them down.

And just because, I'm post whoring an old video of me (Shisa) :D Gz, I really should rre-record it all on my newer system...lol Pardon my aim at the bomber run...hahaha

Edited by -Rudel-

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

I didn't think this was a discussion about individual modules for purchase. Is that what rrg is proposing?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

1942 and beyond, yes Wildcats had higher than the 2:1 ratio you mentioned - think something like 5:1 or more. However, this was by employing certain tactics (like boom and zoom) against the Zeke (which were faster and more maneuverable). It was also being done by military pilots who were well trained and knew what they were doing. In the sim crowd you have people who don't always know what to do and do the wrong thing. I don't think it'll be so one-sided in DCS.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Wildcat or Hellcat? The Wildcat could not outperform the Zero without help. The Hellcat was a direct response to the Zero... which of course is a compliment in itself to the capabilities of the A6M.

My point was that if you were a pilot in some aircraft... Spit, Hurricane, P-40 you would get chewed up in a turning fight with a decent pilot in the Zero.

EDIT:

Lots of reading out there about the frustration caused...

In a report based on questioning forty fighter pilots of VMF-121, 212 and 251 and VF-71 concerning combat in October 1942 the discussion of comparative performance was brief: "A Zero is faster, more maneuverable, and has a higher rate of climb than our F4F-4s".

In an after action interview given in November 1942 Major John Smith, commander of VMF-223 at Guadalcanal, said little about the Zero's performance until asked a direct question and then replied: "They had much more performance than we had. I think they did because we just couldn't stay with them at all, and dog fight at any altitude."

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Merlin,

Outperform is one thing. Winning is another.:thumbup:

1942 and beyond, yes Wildcats had higher than the 2:1 ratio you mentioned - think something like 5:1 or more. However, this was by employing certain tactics (like boom and zoom) against the Zeke (which were faster and more maneuverable). It was also being done by military pilots who were well trained and knew what they were doing. In the sim crowd you have people who don't always know what to do and do the wrong thing. I don't think it'll be so one-sided in DCS.
Actually, the score when the combat was Zeke vs Wildcat was about 1.2:1 in favor of the Wildcat drivers by the time the Hellcat was introduced, and once we add in the later war FM-2 stats we get up into the two to one or better ratio. Of course, the FM-2 was much more competitive with the late war Zero (if not better up to 10,000 ft) in terms of performance, and the pilot training and aircraft maintenance and manufacturing quality factor tilted the odds significantly.

Pre war trained USN/USMC pilots had an extremely high standard of professionalism coupled with some of the best air-to-air gunnery training and standards of the period. Give them an aircraft that was a decent gunnery platform, good guns and could take a few hits, and they could make anyone's life difficult. Give them good radio comms to facilitate teamwork, and they had a better than even chance against the IJN's best pilots (and many of those were lost at Coral Sea and Midway) with the lightly built Zero, which featured a spotty radio system at best. The Wildcat was just that, even after the FAA's requirement for more guns at the cost of firing time screwed up the F4F-4.

Also, by the time the Solomons campaign started, the Thach Weave was well known to be effective and the Aleutian Zero was starting to give up its secrets.

cheers

horseback

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

4 days... plus minus 14 :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

P-38 first, then the others!

This man speaks wisdom!

Actually, however, I'd really like to see the P-38 done by Eagle Dynamics. Call me cynical, but--although I have high hopes for Luthier & his team--I really don't trust anyone other than E.D. to get things up to P-51D quality. I've been doing flight sims since I was four years old, and I've consistently seen a discrepancy between announced intentions and actual results. E.D. is, to date, the only exception. I'm hoping Luthier can become another, but until then, P-51D is my standard.

Edited by Echo38

Merlin,

Outperform is one thing. Winning is another.:thumbup:

Unfortunately, for a lone pilot who can't use his comms advantage or conduct an effective thatch weave by himself... those tactics that gave the Navy Fliers the advantage won't get him all of those kills you claimed. As we all know with the DCS Mustang, when dogfighting a closely matched pilot in an equal machine, it can end in many different ways. Now, give one guy a little performance edge and I personally feel it will be worth creating in the sim. I personally, think the Zero will be fine in our world :thumbup: (Keep in mind it's not at the top of my list either) Also the Pacific will be a very lonely place without it. I can almost hear all of the carrier ops dreams shattering to the ground.

As a side note: I think we already know how vulnerable it felt to be a Zero pilot flying defensive. Set up a mission with a High level AI FW-190 directly behind you at 1000 ft. You will feel like you are in an unarmored plane with explosive fuel tanks. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't think this was a discussion about individual modules for purchase. Is that what rrg is proposing?

thats my guess tbh, but an interesting question!

maybe they will release a couple of planes at the same time, but i think they will follow the dcs route of business, meaning single modules available to purchase....

thats only a wild guess, but i think business wise in the sim genre this makes sense nowadays...

This man speaks wisdom!

Actually, however, I'd really like to see the P-38 done by Eagle Dynamics. Call me cynical, but--although I have high hopes for Luthier & his team--I really don't trust anyone other than E.D. to get things up to P-51D quality. I've been doing flight sims since I was four years old, and I've consistently seen a discrepancy between announced intentions and actual results. E.D. is, to date, the only exception. I'm hoping Luthier can become another, but until then, P-51D is my standard.

i am, although excited, sceptical as well...

the first thing which came to my mind, after ive read luthier's announcement of the announcement was like....well, i hope he doesn't "luthier" it up again.

Merlin,

If we ever have a Wildcat and Zero in DCS, you will *never* see me try to tackle a Zero by myself. With the luxury of knowing about the combat experiences of WW2, only a fool tries to do that.

That's why in all the past PTO scenarios I have participated in the F4F slaughters the A6M. The point was made even more clear to me in an Aces High scenario where we all switched sides to run the event again, and had the same result. It was just a really tough time in the A6M with its low velocity, short-clip cannon when a snap shot from a Wildcat could ruin your day.

Actually, the score when the combat was Zeke vs Wildcat was about 1.2:1 in favor of the Wildcat drivers by the time the Hellcat was introduced, and once we add in the later war FM-2 stats we get up into the two to one or better ratio. Of course, the FM-2 was much more competitive with the late war Zero (if not better up to 10,000 ft) in terms of performance, and the pilot training and aircraft maintenance and manufacturing quality factor tilted the odds significantly.

Thanks for clearing that up horseback!

Unfortunately, for a lone pilot who can't use his comms advantage or conduct an effective thatch weave by himself... those tactics that gave the Navy Fliers the advantage won't get him all of those kills you claimed. As we all know with the DCS Mustang, when dogfighting a closely matched pilot in an equal machine, it can end in many different ways. Now, give one guy a little performance edge and I personally feel it will be worth creating in the sim. I personally, think the Zero will be fine in our world thumbup.gif (Keep in mind it's not at the top of my list either) Also the Pacific will be a very lonely place without it. I can almost hear all of the carrier ops dreams shattering to the ground.

As a side note: I think we already know how vulnerable it felt to be a Zero pilot flying defensive. Set up a mission with a High level AI FW-190 directly behind you at 1000 ft. You will feel like you are in an unarmored plane with explosive fuel tanks. music_whistling.gif

You got it, all about how the mission is setup and the skill of the people involved. In other sims I've seen guys do boneheaded things and keep wondering why they get shot down. Hell from what I hear on DCS public servers you can't get most people to work together if they had a gun to their heads.

Zeke isn't at the top of my list either, but I would definitely be disappointed if it didn't show up in DCS some time down the road. Didn't late war Zekes fix that fuel tank issue? If that is the case, ED seems to want to model the late war planes, and if RRG keeps to that perhaps it won't be such a big issue with the Zeke.

If all else fails though, like Hans said you always have an option:

Banzai!!!!cry.gif

2u7uh08.jpg

And we NEED a pilot model on the Zeke with this headband thumbup.gif

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

the first thing which came to my mind, after ive read luthier's announcement of the announcement was like....well, i hope he doesn't "luthier" it up again.

I have no inside knowledge at all, so take this with a chunk of salt, but my impression is that Luthier was generally responsible for the good parts of CloD, while 1C/Maddox & Ubisoft were generally responsible for the bad parts of CloD. I really don't know. The guy seems like his heart's in the right place, so I'm very interested in seeing what he can do with a good sim engine.

I have no inside knowledge at all, so take this with a chunk of salt, but my impression is that Luthier was generally responsible for the good parts of CloD, while 1C/Maddox & Ubisoft were generally responsible for the bad parts of CloD. I really don't know. The guy seems like his heart's in the right place, so I'm very interested in seeing what he can do with a good sim engine.

Agreed. Anyone who has had to clean up someone else's mess at their work knows that the final results will not truly reflect your own abilities or work ethic. The final release of Clod was actually pretty good, which is why people were so pissed when the whole thing was abandoned.

The one thing that was truly dishonest about Clod were the published system requirements, which should have listed 1.5-2.0 gb of vram + a 64bit OS with directx 10 as minimum.

• ED Team

Team Fusion is making some nice improvements to CloD as well, its actually still a fun little game to jump into once and a while... least till we have something similar here...

Luthier seems passionate about this stuff, I was lucky enough to see his rough cut vids on his site before they got pulled, it feels like he wants to produce something us WWII guys will love. But as with anything, caution is always a good course of action... If it carriers the DCS name as well, then I bet ED will be keeping an eye on it as well... but of course all this is just opinion based on theories :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png