Flame Out

pyates2104

Has anyone had a flame out while diving? I throttled back to idle quickly and fox 2'd a bogey whilst in a dive, this was quickly followed by a double engine flame out. Probably realistic behaviour, but its the first time its ever happened to me, has anyone had a similar experience?

If you were still pushing the stick forward, you might have been at negative G for (I think) more than 10 seconds. That starves the engines of fuel, and you flame out.

Regards,

Bart

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, Radeon RX 6800, HP Reverb, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Thrustmaster MFD's

Yes this will happened, I was above 20,000 and went into a dive with my engine idle. I think it has something to do with the speed, altitude and low throttle setting. It's easy to recreate if you want to test it, pay attention to the speed at which your engines will cut out.

The easy solution to this is to keep just a little throttle on. This seems to keep the engines from croaking.

Here is a quick clip of mine

If you were still pushing the stick forward, you might have been at negative G for (I think) more than 10 seconds. That starves the engines of fuel, and you flame out.

Regards,

Bart

Exactly! You can reproduce it. Get to high altitude 20000 ft plus, now push the A-10C in a dive by pushing the stick forward, G-Meter on the left HUD frame should indicate negative Gs. Now pull the throttle back to idle. After approximately 10 sec the fuel reserve in the system is spent and engines die.

To prevent this always roll the plane and pull it it into a dive while inverted. Then roll again when recovering.

You can also use flame out for emergency restart training:D

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)