Tornado:Precision Strike (Movie)

This project, which I started in 1.02 a *long* time ago, will appeal to some of you more than others... especially the old gits like me who cut their sim teeth on DI's Tornado :-). But hopefully you don't have to be a hardcore Tornado enthusiast to enjoy it.

http://www.andrew.mcp.dsl.pipex.com/lomac.htm

There are two versions, 50Mb in my webspace, or 100Mb hosted at Rapidshare.

Andrew McP

Can we have the links?Or I'm blind and there's nothing in your lomac page :)

EDIT:Oh nevermind,the page is normal now.I was getting this;

Andrew MacPherson's Lomac Movie Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for visiting andrew.mcp@REMOVETHISdsl.pipex.com

August 2005: No movies online at the moment, sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End

EDIT:Oh nevermind,the page is normal now.I was getting this;

The page only went up an hour or so ago, so it probably won't have refreshed in your ISP's local cache yet. If anyone else has the same problem, <cntrl><refresh> usually forces internet explorer (not sure about other browsers) to go looking for the latest version.

Andrew McP

• ED Team

Nice video Andrew, all you're movies have a unique feel, so when i watch one of your videos, i KNOW that you made it.

There were some tiny errors in this movie, such as seeing the fraps fps counter up in the left corner in some of the clips.

Some other personal whining by me:

In some flybys, you used real-life jet sounds, and others, you used lockon's flyby sound. IMO, you should stick to using one of the 2, and not jump back and forth, kinda spoils the feel of the movie.

But other than that, great work, nice scenes and camera angles.

Please make more! :horseback

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

cool movie, i was thinking bout doing one, but i was gonna mix it with bf2, so for example,, c130 coming in high, sas from bf2 addon will jump out and halo to the airbase mission, then get raped by armour, so they then call for airsupport, and at the end, the airbase be belong to us, and in the morning when its just getting light, you see the cavalry coming in to start to take base over after all the fighting is finished by nvg sas dudes, and some tornados.

In my head, it plays out leet, but knowing me, it will probably end up shiat.

basically, a mix of lomac and bf2, and maybe with a touch of blackhawk from bf2 flying the boys out after a job well done.

Mix LO with OFP. Way better cutscenes with OFP, you can prepare all the camera angles, AI behavior, etc..

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Wow! Awesome stuff. :icon_supe :icon_supe

If only it were true on the flyable Tornado front.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

ooh man! thats a wicked movie andrew. You are getting better and better every movie. The next assignment for you is to start adding glare and other filters in your movie.. :p

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you're enjoying it.

Kula66: (and a few others!)

> oh for a flyable Tornado! (I know its 2 seat etc etc ...)

Ground-hugging radar, those amazing ALARM missiles (especially in indirect mode... so much gameplay value), the ability to fly whole missions from the back seat by using the many autopilot modes. But it'll never happen, so we have to make do with the 25-T. Which is a shame, because I like my aircraft to have afterburners and fewer annoyingly overheating lasers. :-)

Glowing:

> There were some tiny errors in this movie

That's how you can tell they're my movies! ;-) The Fraps thing slipped past me until I'd produced the "finished" item, and the few days' holiday I've just had is over, so this project had to end today.

As for the sound... I only had one short clip of a real Tornado and it has commentator noise on it, so I wanted to be careful not to over-use it because it's too short. The rest... well, as the AVI-maker messes up sound when you shift to half speed flying, or when you use the <shift><esc> modifier to the F2 view, I originally deleted all the sound from the clips I used. But in the end I realised I had to add background sound back because the movie was missing something that the occasional sound effect couldn't make up for.

Rebuilding the sound from scratch using a mix of real LOMAC sound and Zzz's wavs wasn't easy or fun, so it was never going to be perfect, and I gave up after throwing a day at it.

Whenever I do another movie I'll have to find a better solution, but I'm not sure how to avoid having to rebuild everything from scratch unless I record with Fraps at full speed... and I often use quarter speed to try and smooth out the jerkiness (not that it works!) and try to get more control over what's captured.

Either that or I need to find a much bigger library of sound effects... though that's taking me further away from my original aim of using only what you'd see or hear in the sim.

Witchking:

> The next assignment for you is to start adding glare and

> other filters in your movie..

It takes a lot of skill to use those things properly. I have tried to tweak things using what tools my editor has (and it shares many of Vegas's basic tools I believe), but the experts in this field are LOC and GA. It's also yet another layer of complication to add to an already long and complex process... and I work slowly enough as it is! The core mission alone took me well over 20 hours to put togther last year. Getting 5 Tornados to perform a coordinated attack was a *lot* easier in 1993! :-)

Thanks again everyone.

Andrew McP

Andrew,

Wicked good movie! Keep up the great work! Excellent choices of music too. Glad you put what's what in the credits.

Cheers,

-Chris

Alienware P4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB | WinXP Pro SP2 | 2 GB PC3200 | ATI X850 256 MB with XT PE BIOS | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 3 Pro with Vector Expansion | Voice Buddy v3.0

• ED Team

As for the sound... I only had one short clip of a real Tornado and it has commentator noise on it, so I wanted to be careful not to over-use it because it's too short. The rest... well, as the AVI-maker messes up sound when you shift to half speed flying, or when you use the <shift><esc> modifier to the F2 view, I originally deleted all the sound from the clips I used. But in the end I realised I had to add background sound back because the movie was missing something that the occasional sound effect couldn't make up for.

Rebuilding the sound from scratch using a mix of real LOMAC sound and Zzz's wavs wasn't easy or fun, so it was never going to be perfect, and I gave up after throwing a day at it.

Either that or I need to find a much bigger library of sound effects... though that's taking me further away from my original aim of using only what you'd see or hear in the sim.

When i import my captured fraps footage into vegas, there is never any sound on the clips, i add the sounds myself. This task isn't very fun, as you said, but it gives you more control, and it also sounds waay better than what you hear in-game.

Hey Andrew, if you want me to, i could supply you with many many effects i have stashed on my computer, from weather effects, jets, tanks, choppers, explosions, etc...

"...though that's taking me further away from my original aim of using only what you'd see or hear in the sim."

Well, change is good, isn't it? ;) Once you actually create a movie, why not make it something more than lomac is? Enhance it, show how lomac could've looked. Immerse the viewer more with sounds that sound real.

At least, this is how i view it. Just my personal opinion.

And you did use a real flyby sound in your movie, so now that you've said A, you have to do B :icon_supe

Tornado

Count me in the Old Git's catagory.

I remember when I first got Tornado and how much I played.

What could be better than a big fat high speed bomber.

Flying a low altitude and delivering so much ordinance.

I remember I really liked to use all the autopilot modes and my

favorite missions were runway destruction with the munitions dispener

pod stuck to the belly of the plane.

I forget was Tornado DOS or was it one of the first windows sims ?

It's been a really long time.

Regards,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Christopher M

Great Work!

Boy, I wished there would be a site where you could find a list of LockOn-Movies which can be sorted by author/editor. Would be great to watch the progress in film making abilities. (Besides it would be a great movie data base :D)

I forget was Tornado DOS or was it one of the first windows sims ?

DOS still, good old 320x200 glory and the boot disk dance to decide if the mouse driver could still fit into memory :) There was also an Amiga version, but the standard 7.14MHz CPU was already too slow to really run it.

DI's approach to focus on a plane with limited popularity and mission profile, instead of going with another "everyone's darling" Falcon or Hornet, and model that plane in as much detail as possible for that time, was what earned them a place in flight sim history. That and the mission planner, which has still not been surpassed in any sim since then.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team