Discontinuing Weekly Updates - Please reconsider

Cobra847

I personally think it's worth reconsidering abolishing the weekly updates from the official development team, or at least keeping the option open to re-establish such an update schedule in the future.

While I know better than most how difficult it can be to have something large, important or impressive to show off in a weeks' timeframe; it still brings a measure of interest, even if it is just one render or a paragraph of what the team has been working on during the week.

While there is constant critiscism aimed at ED in reaction to the updates, I think the majority would agree that they look forward to every friday and are more than happy with their current form and the content therein.

Thanks' for the updates so far, and hope to see more.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but after seeing the garbage collection of complaints and arguments in each one of those threads about the update I have a feeling those days are over. I wouldn't want to post anything either if all people were going to do was nitpick and pontificate about how wrong everything is and why their way is better and why isn't the wags day thread in chit chat.

"I'm going to Negative rep anyone who starts another thread like this- it's trolling."

Frick. And I thought steamers were bad. Stuffy knowitalls are worse. By far.

So goodbye updates. Hope you all are happy.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

It is trolling making new thread on same useless crap every week, but don't think me personally saying that I will - REP next person that does it (after all this is what REP is for - you make useful posts you get + REP, you write crap, you get - REP) is what made a stop to weekly updates ;). And let me remind you it is me ME not ED wanting to give - REP for this so learn to separate the two.

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

I personally think it's worth reconsidering abolishing the weekly updates from the official development team,

Did I miss something, when did the weekly updates get cancelled?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Exactly, there isn't that much to give updates on every week anyway, but some people just want the whole world to feed them and entertain them, it's not enough that ED has lot of things on their hands (sometimes I wish for everyone so the bugtracker to get idea of workload they have) and it wasn't enough for ED to start making weekly updates, but some have to still criticize WIP things, why isn't this done, why isn't that done... and on top of that there are people who have to start making threads on upcoming update and its not enough to have one such chit shat thread (which I am fine with anyway) but no, there has to be one every bloody week... some of you need to grow up

PS: I am not in good mood lately

Completely agree with ED handle of the updates on Friday Thank you..

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

And let me remind you it is me ME not ED wanting to give - REP for this so learn to separate the two.

Oh believe me- I know where the -rep idea came from. (Where on earth did i give you the idea that I thought ED was going to do something so ludicrous as negative rep someone for starting a thread to discuss the update???) I didn't need to have that little nugget spoonfed to me. Thanks though. +rep for you.

Thing that is more annoying is you are usually really helpful to the community. Whatever has put you in this foul humor needs to take a hike (please).

Oh wait- I guess it will take a hike since there are no more weekly updates ;)

Welcome back nice kuky.

Edited by ENO
  • Like 1

"ENO"

I agree with the OP. The weekly updates give me a reason to check the forums every Friday. As a result, it was keeping me more interested in DCS and increasing my participation here.

I realize it can be difficult to come up with a meaningful info release every week, especially when there can be a lot of very similar work between milestones, or when significant amounts of the work are bound to non-disclosure, but I think it was a nice way to check in with the community even when there is nothing significant to post about.

I will not make any assumptions about the reasons for ED's policy change, but I look forward to the monthly updates.

It is trolling making new thread on same useless crap every week

I do not consider it trolling to post a discussion thread about the update every week, after all, this is a forum and the point is to discuss things, especially to discuss DCS. It is simply forum members expressing their excitement for DCS. However, it is more efficient to consolidate all of the posts into one thread about updates. I would say people should make an effort to restrict discussion about an update until after the update actually published, but as you can see from things like the RRG thread, that is never going to happen. It is just a waste of energy to neg rep or complain about such things.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Monthly updates are fine... they'll be much meatier that way :thumbup:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I agree with the OP. The weekly updates give me a reason to check the forums every Friday. As a result, it was keeping me more interested in DCS and increasing my participation here.

Lot of things are happening here even without ED making some sort of update... there is lot to read, discuss and help people out (if you can) so don't wait for ED to post something, get involved with actual flight sim community :thumbup:

Monthly updates are fine... they'll be much meatier that way :thumbup:

Yeah except then everyone is left panting for news- people will be even more exasperated if their cherished fix is not present. At least this way it's understandable given the shorter gap.

"ENO"

Exactly, there isn't that much to give updates on every week anyway, but some people just want the whole world to feed them and entertain them, it's not enough that ED has lot of things on their hands (sometimes I wish for everyone so the bugtracker to get idea of workload they have) and it wasn't enough for ED to start making weekly updates, but some have to still criticize WIP things, why isn't this done, why isn't that done... and on top of that there are people who have to start making threads on upcoming update and its not enough to have one such chit shat thread (which I am fine with anyway) but no, there has to be one every bloody week... some of you need to grow up

So the **** what? Its the internet. I am always astounded when people react to these trollish people. Anybody who's ever spent time on the internet for more than a few days knows that there are those who make a stink, and those who don't, and the ones who don't are barely noticeable. If someone posts a positive comment he represents probably less than 10% of the well wishers, while the loud obnoxious twats who go on and on about anything and everything are the minority who love to bang away and make themselves feel important.

Its just not fair that those people get to define the PR policies of a company. Its not fair and I don't understand or forgive them. Its idiotic.

If there's no need for news, then just post an abbreviated update with little to nothing in it. Fact is that people get really excited for wagsday for a reason. ED is pathologically crap at making us feel like there's something happening most of the time. People are going to be grumps either way, but those of us who are nice and friendly and constructive are going to suffer because we didn't post enough positive commentary to offset the deluge of self indulgent nonsense the tards throw at us.

PS: I am not in good mood lately

Its very very noticeable. :megalol:

• Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Sometimes, it seems like this forum is >50% trolling. :(

If you thinks this forum is >50% trolling and you are sad about it, I don't ever want you to see what a real forum filled with trolls look like (even though it can be quite amusing)

I doubt it has anything to do with criticism… rather it makes more sense for Matt to do a monthly update from a practical point of view. Industry models have to prioritize and are always correcting. Any smart business person, especially in the software business does not waste much time with self-indulgent criticism, particularly if they don't have anything substantive to say. They’re too busy listening to the intelligent people.

I'm disappointed to hear the weekly updates are going away. I always looked forward to them. I can understand that sometimes there is just nothing to report and I can understand why canceling them is effective before peeps break out the torches and pitchforks because a weekly update got skipped. I look forward to the monthly updates, but Perhaps ED might consider bi-weekly updates? Just a thought.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

Yeah except then everyone is left panting for news- people will be even more exasperated if their cherished fix is not present. At least this way it's understandable given the shorter gap.

well... patience is a virtue well worth the acquiring

+1 @ Kuky :)

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Its a good step. Instead of waiting for the updates to show up, I'd rather be surprised about a new module over email and get excited to the point of calling the night watch at the bank and ask for a refill.

Further, these pictures we see dont mean we'll get each and everyone of them, so its unnecessary notification.

When Wags post an F-18 as an attachment, it is either:

1- a community leak that they chose the Hornet as the coming module

2- begun work on the F-18 SFM AI for tweaks

3- finished work on exterIor model

4- just a plain screenshot

5- .....

I dont like to speculate, I'd rather see one firm, reliable source of information than a wordless image.

From dev point of view, its a strategic maneuver not to play all cards as community can say you promised us this and now you back down??? Not good.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

aw :(

I just started to get into these weekly updates.

I don't see how discussion about the update is "trolling". Honestly, this forum is pretty quiet compared to most video game forums, so I'd think that any activity, especially excitement over upcoming features and current projects, would be welcomed.

I don't quite understand the reasoning for stopping them.

Lot of things are happening here even without ED making some sort of update... there is lot to read, discuss and help people out (if you can) so don't wait for ED to post something, get involved with actual flight sim community :thumbup:

While this statement is true, it doesn't counter what was said.

Having an additional interest to come here doesn't mean you have no interest at all participating in the forums.

Stopping the weekly updates will at least end my friday-check-ins with the mobile phone. An occasion on which I rather often find other threads of interest to participate.

It's no rage against a decision. It's a simple and logic conclusion.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I do not consider it trolling to post a discussion thread about the update every week, after all, this is a forum and the point is to discuss things, especially to discuss DCS. It is simply forum members expressing their excitement for DCS. However, it is more efficient to consolidate all of the posts into one thread about updates. I would say people should make an effort to restrict discussion about an update until after the update actually published, but as you can see from things like the RRG thread, that is never going to happen. It is just a waste of energy to neg rep or complain about such things.

The RRG thread is different because they know its something WW2 related and its filled with mostly relevant discussion. The preemptive threads for the weekly updates on the other hand were a mix-mash of F5 gifs, comments of "I bet its about X feature", and generally pointless discussion until the post was actually made. I think one of the threads go up to 70+ posts before Wags even posted his update. Also the threads kept getting made earlier and earlier by the week as a test of who would get the glory of starting the thread. It was all getting a tad silly.

I kinda wish they had gone with a bi or tri weekly update, or reliably post at least once within 7 to 14 days of the last post.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Still don't see what's wrong in going a little crazy on waiting for the news.

It's a bit like waiting for a mini-release, or christmas, maybe.

And after all, we're all like little boys, when it comes to DCS-releases and news.

If we weren't, we'd probably all do more serious stuff with our spare time. :music_whistling:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Is there any official news about discontinuing the weekly news?

And for the trolling threads about the update every week-if it is against the forum rules, the ones, who started the thread should be banned, otherwise just ignore these threads if you don't like them, like i do.

I don't know the background of Wag's/ED's decision to drop the weekly updates, but it seems to me to be a step in the wrong direction. Those here applauding should not forget that a positive community interaction attracts new customers -> more revenues -> more development. Unless of course ED doesn't need to sell its products. And to those complaining about the anticipatory updates discussion threads, I always wondered why Wags/ED didn't just make an official update discussion thread together with each update once it's out. Keeps things neat and works very well on other forums. Simply a matter of good community management.

MAC

• Like 1