1. 1. Next DCS (European) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

• Alpha Jet
    • Eurofighter Typhoon
    • Harrier
    • Dassault Rafale
    • English Electric Lightning
    • Tornado
    • F 104 Starfighter
    • The Saab Family - Draken. Gripen, Lansen, Viggen... (Post specific)
    • The Mirage Family - M4000, F-1, III, IV... (Post Specific)
    • Other - write below

I will agree with Mjau about having the SAAB fighters in the DCS stable. I think the Draken & Viggen are some of the best looking aircraft. (I am British so I don't have the same patriotic pride as Mjau does!)

Having said that I think we should also include the Harrier, TSR2 as well as most of the Post WW2 aircraft. EE Lighning, Hawker Hunter, as well as the Sea Vixen.

We should not forget the WW2 planes.

There are so many aircraft that are worthy of being immortalised within DCS, we should not forget them.

Regards Sleuth

Windows 8.1 with Media Centre

CPU: Intel i7-2600 @3.40Ghz (8CPU)

RAM: 8192MB

DirectX: 11

Graphics NVidia GeForce GTX670 4GB

Display (1920 x 1080)

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Pack

Saitek Combat Flight Pedals

DCS World with A10c & UH1

FSX, FS9, CFS3, CFS2, LoMAC, Falcon 4 AF

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tornado

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

King Hrothgar,

I can understand your interest in something that has seen actual combat. However that does limit the available aircraft.

I think it would be interesting to see a comparison of aircraft that haven't been bloodied in battle to those that have. Especially if they have been built to the exacting DCS standards (virtually actual spec & handling characteristics!)

Just because a country did not go to war, doesn't mean the aircraft is bad! The TSR2 was an aircraft that was cancelled due to policy changes of the UK Government. It would have been interesting to see if it actually lived up to its reputation as being an advanced aircraft.

Best regards

Sleuth

Regards Sleuth

Windows 8.1 with Media Centre

CPU: Intel i7-2600 @3.40Ghz (8CPU)

RAM: 8192MB

DirectX: 11

Graphics NVidia GeForce GTX670 4GB

Display (1920 x 1080)

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Pack

Saitek Combat Flight Pedals

DCS World with A10c & UH1

FSX, FS9, CFS3, CFS2, LoMAC, Falcon 4 AF

It does limit the list but the list is still far greater than we can reasonably expect to be developed. I see no reason to add prototypes and limited use planes before we have a good assortment of mainstays. If we ever reach a point where we start running short on planes that have seen combat, then by all means, bring on the ones that haven't. :)

Harrier gr9 would be great, but then so would the AV-8B, it would be a good test of dcs's physics

Why would you think that a harrier is more complicated to do than another plane? Thrust vectoring isn't a particularly hard thing to achieve in the context of modeling if you have the freedom of coding the flight model yourself (given the general aptitude, of course). As long as the slipstream from the exhaust does not interfere with control surfaces which it usually doesn't, it's actually a rather simple matter compared to some other things that go into such a model.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

What´s against the Mig 21?

Greetings to everybody and my congratulation to DCS for their work in the hardcore flight simulation area. Now...

I Don´t have any DCS a/c... but I´m waiting paciently...

Why?

Because:

P51------>Me109 (and Dora)

Mig-15 -->F86

Mig-21---> ???????

So I´m almost sure the oponent WILL be one of these, and if it is, instapurchase for me.

Arab/Israeli war...

M-3 could be the natural oponent of the Mig-21 (and is not a complex a/c design).

Vietnam War

F4? It could lead also to add the A-4 B or C too (eventhoguh develop of the F-4 radar could be an obstacle, and also being a two seater...).

And If you have the M-3 and the A-4, why not to add the Sea Harrier? Ships should not be a problem, and you could simulate the falklands/Malvinas war.

The M-3 is not a complex A/C to be digitaized.

I flew the M-5 in my country many years ago, it was a marvelous. Belive me, you would certainly love it too.

So I´m really really confident the M-3 will show up one of this days.

You are right , the mig 21 has no playable rival right now. That's becouse developers don't pick what aircraft to make based on balance. Leatherneck is working on an F14 wich i guess is the closest we're going to get to a rival but i'm not even sure how fair that would be. Maybe VEAO is working on something too , since they seem to have every aircraft in existence on their roadmap but that's not something you can rely on.

PS : the P51 was in the game for a LONG time before something playable to oppose it was added, and i think the sabre has been in the game for aitleast a year without the mig 15.. though i could be wrong

Edited by McBlemmen

You are right , the mig 21 has no playable rival right now. That's becouse developers don't pick what aircraft to make based on balance. Leatherneck is working on an F14 wich i guess is the closest we're going to get to a rival but i'm not even sure how fair that would be. Maybe VEAO is working on something too , since they seem to have every aircraft in existence on their roadmap but that's not something you can rely on.

PS : the P51 was in the game for a LONG time before something playable to oppose it was added, and i think the sabre has been in the game for aitleast a year without the mig 15.. though i could be wrong

Even though they don't do this, I think it goes without saying that every flyable fighter aircraft should have a contemporary human flyable aggressor. It is literally the only way to get the most out of the product. Given there is a large desire fly and employ these aircraft for what they were designed to do, doing that against only broken AI gets stale fast. The F4 is probably the most logical opponent to the Mig-21. Any single dissimilar same Gen fighter would do. There are obvious limitations to time frame such releases could occur, but I would personally not by a fighter who's contemporary wasn't planned for release by some Dev.

Given that the majority of DCS players don't play MP, there is not a pressing need for the appropriate opponents to be flyable.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Mig-21 is still in service in many parts of the world, and certainly older models of the F-15 could reasonably expected to see them in combat.

Even for the variant of F-15 in DCS now, it would have served in a time when many Soviet units hadn't been fully equipped with Mig-29s and Su-27s but still had late model Mig-21s active.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

Given that the majority of DCS players don't play MP, there is not a pressing need for the appropriate opponents to be flyable.

Although there might be a pressing need for opponents (and other period objects) to exist!

After all, even the MP guys can fly coop against period AI targets.

This is often stated, and plausible but I find it insane with respect to fighter aircraft at least. If we think of the first DCS modules separate from FC, they were attack aircraft. With attack aircraft it doesn't largely matter (save for stupid AI wingmen) since the opposition is mainly AI ground objects (pre-CA). Even then at some point being offline you really just learn to game the game. There are a number of thing you wouldn't do or be expected to in an A-10C, and largely can never fail if you don't do anything willfully stupid. With AI fighters you have an opponent that could see everything, have an unrealistically low set of limitations, and still manage to be way too easy once you've figured out how to game the AI. How long have the SP campaigns been broken on some form or another. Anyone that is capable of MP and not using it in DCS is doing themselves a huge disservice.

Appropriate MiG-21Bis opponents include F-4E, F-5E, Mirage III, F-15A, F-16A, AV-8A, AV-8B, F-14A and other lesser known designs. Of those, three are currently AI only. The F-15A and F-16A can be faked by restrictive armament settings. For player aircraft, only the F-14A and Mirage III appear to be in the works. The F-14A seems likely to be released within 1 year. The timeline for the Mirage III is harder to judge.

Mig-21bis 1972, is good for Air to Ground and worth it just for that alone, however Wiki quote says:

The delta wing, while excellent for a fast-climbing interceptor, meant any form of turning combat led to a rapid loss of speed. However, the light loading of the aircraft could mean that a climb rate of 235 m/s (46,250 ft/min) was possible with a combat-loaded MiG-21bis not far short of the performance of the later F-16A. Given a skilled pilot and capable missiles, it could give a good account of itself against contemporary fighters. Its G-limits were increased from +7Gs in initial variants to +8.5Gs in the latest variants.”

IMO if it was operated in numbers like an Air force under CGI and used its radar for launching only, it would be a threat to the 4th gen fighters and would get its kills more so over defensive territory.

Mig-21bis 1972, is good for Air to Ground and worth it just for that alone, however Wiki quote says:

The delta wing, while excellent for a fast-climbing interceptor, meant any form of turning combat led to a rapid loss of speed. However, the light loading of the aircraft could mean that a climb rate of 235 m/s (46,250 ft/min) was possible with a combat-loaded MiG-21bis not far short of the performance of the later F-16A. Given a skilled pilot and capable missiles, it could give a good account of itself against contemporary fighters. Its G-limits were increased from +7Gs in initial variants to +8.5Gs in the latest variants.”

IMO if it was operated in numbers like an Air force under CGI and used its radar for launching only, it would be a threat to the 4th gen fighters and would get its kills more so over defensive territory.

They work great in an ambush, though that's the best case scenario for all the Russian fighters, if they engage and miss they're pretty well screwed against everything else. Had one almost get me the other in my Eagle as I was more immediately concerned with some inbound flankers. He missed, my Aim-7 missed, dog fight ensued. My guns didn't miss.

Appropriate MiG-21Bis opponents include F-4E, F-5E, Mirage III, F-15A, F-16A, AV-8A, AV-8B, F-14A and other lesser known designs. Of those, three are currently AI only. The F-15A and F-16A can be faked by restrictive armament settings. For player aircraft, only the F-14A and Mirage III appear to be in the works. The F-14A seems likely to be released within 1 year. The timeline for the Mirage III is harder to judge.

I thought the Mirage 2000C was in development, not the Mirage 3...