Jim's Sim

Jimbo

Hi All,

I thought that after years of lurking around the forums it was high time I started my build thread, partly, 'coz I need some advise ;) but mostly because I love a good build thread myself and thought I may as well show you guys my efforts so far. I also hope this will keep me spurred on to finish the project.

I've spent the past couple of years accumulating parts from ebay and the creative geniuses on this forum, getting to know what I can / cant do and what the community has made available. As always, the usual protagonists need to be thanked Gadroc, Dimebug, Deadman, TomDK, Glider, Linden and far too many others who have helped me add to the 'stash' (and given my wife good cause to angrily wave a bank statement at me!)

So.. My build so far hasn't exactly followed a plan. I have dived in and been tinkering with various components without a way of tying it all together until I finally put Dimebug's plans into action. I now finally have somewhere to stick all the panels etc.

2013-09-01%2016.56.55.jpg

The Stash:

20130512_205340.jpg

I used plywood for the construction which worked really well, but it'll take too much work to hide the wood grain that i'm reverting to MDF for the main console. This looks like it'll give a good impression of smooth metal. I'm now working on the 'Big T' in the central console as this'll give me good bang for my buck.

The base is plywood with a 6mm MDF front.

2013-09-01%2017.55.24.jpg

2013-09-01%2017.55.34.jpg

2013-09-01%2017.55.42.jpg

To hide the joins ( and my questionable woodworking skills), I've been smothering wood filler (does what it says on the tin) on it then sanding, which is so far giving a really smooth finish.

2013-09-01%2018.04.52.jpg

Stuck together and first coat of paint:

2013-09-01%2021.52.00.jpg

Test fit:

2013-09-01%2022.24.09.jpg

Test fitting the gauges:

2013-09-01%2016.56.04.jpg

Fitting the Annunciators: The Gun Ready LED needs looking at as it's far too washed out

2013-09-02%2021.32.49.jpg

Lighting up the displays:

2013-09-03%2020.33.33.jpg

Im working on wiring up the NMSP & gear panel.

2013-03-26%2022.34.07.jpg

Hopefully more updates after the weekend.... If I can get the damned cat (aka the wing commander) to move2013-09-02%2021.17.42.jpgthe

Edited by Jimbo

Very neat Jim :thumbup:

Really like your part stash. I have a few questions. I have the original NMSP light panel as well and have purchased push buttons similar to the original ones. How did you solve making new texts for the push buttons? Or where your already like this :music_whistling:

Also the round indicators for NMSP. Was it just Ebay you found them at or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot for the assistance in advance. Have a nice day and keep posting pictures of your very nice pit.

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo

Very neat Jim :thumbup:

Really like your part stash. I have a few questions. I have the original NMSP light panel as well and have purchased push buttons similar to the original ones. How did you solve making new texts for the push buttons? Or where your already like this :music_whistling:

Also the round indicators for NMSP. Was it just Ebay you found them at or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot for the assistance in advance. Have a nice day and keep posting pictures of your very nice pit.

Cheers

Hans

Hi Hans,

I was lucky enough to find the full NMSP unit on ebay, the seller was feathersJim, but he's ceased trading a while ago and I've struggled to find good A10 parts since.

The NMSP is from an A model so the text is incorrect, no EGI label for example. It's on my list to find out how the lens is made and investigate ways of replacing a few. To be honest, i'm hoping it's be as simple as having a couple of things laser engraved and replacing the lens.

I'll try and document a breakdown of the unit this evening so if you need any measurements please let me know.

Hi Hans,

I was lucky enough to find the full NMSP unit on ebay,

Jim, you lucky B..... :thumbup:

I am considering making new lenses by painting plexiglas and having it engraved and perhaps sandwich it with a clear plexiglas plate. If you need pictures of the lensecap dissassembled let me know as I have already taken one apart. With regard to te breakdown of measurements many thanks, but I have the front light plate so I can use this.

Looking forward for more interesting photos from your side :thumbup:

Cheers

Hans

Not as much of an update as I'd have hoped (wife / kid and the dog being demanding :) ).

I'm working on the glare shield / fire handles hoping to get the wood work elements of the front panel out of the way. Glued a couple of 18mm MDF pieces together and shaped the curve (too many hours sanding)

2013-09-07%2012.18.33.jpg

2013-09-07%2012.18.27.jpg

Quick test for dimensions on the front panel

2013-09-07%2012.29.50.jpg

Holes drilled for cabling etc and a pocket routed to put the back lighting

2013-09-08%2012.35.25.jpg

Balsa wood glued to form the overhang.

2013-09-08%2013.18.48.jpg

Initial paint job and filling the seam between the balsa sheets

2013-09-09%2020.23.19.jpg

Which is where it all went wrong :( the filler I used 'melted' the paint off. Which with me being impatient; I sanded off and slapped on wood filler. queue much spillage and a botched paint job! I'm now sanding it back down to bare wood and will start the filling / sanding / painting job again.

• 1 month later...

Its been far longer than I expected since the last update. I'm learning that that's what 3 month olds will do to your spare time!!

Anyway, I finally managed to get the fire handles done. I'm 95% happy with them as they aren't as clean as i'd have liked. I have thankfully nailed the process so may remake them in the future (0.001% I will :) ).

Trying to construct a hollow 'T' shape proved to be a nightmare! I went through wood, metal and eventually layers of plastic. My initial plan was to make a mould that I could easily make reproductions - Sadly, this proved far above my skill level, the fumes were pretty good though :thumbup:

Initial Wood template. I found that drilling the core for the switch shaft would rip through the wood and render it useless. You can see the metal 'test' prototype in the background. My Wife banned this approach as apparently beer and blow torches don't mix :music_whistling:

2013-09-15%2011.31.22.jpg

2013-09-15%2011.31.39.jpg

I got a LOT of soldering practise and am pretty happy with the results.

2013-09-22%2018.26.44.jpg

2013-09-22%2018.05.47.jpg

The end result is 5mm frosted acrylic sheet sandwiched and drilled with routed edges. This was a massive pain in the ar*e to put together and I super glued myself to various components most evenings, but it did give the best results

2013-11-04%2018.43.08.jpg

2013-11-04%2018.54.07.jpg

2013-11-04%2018.45.18.jpg

The text is inkjet decal paper covered in several layers of matt acrylic varnish.

2013-11-04%2018.46.33.jpg

2013-11-04%2018.46.50.jpg

and the end caps were moulds taken from the oxygen regulator and cast in clear resin.

2013-09-14%2018.01.58.jpg

2013-11-04%2018.48.05.jpg

Like I say, i'm not 100% happy with the result, but given that I've had to learn how to work with a lot of materials / processes that are alien to me it's been good fun....

In case it helps anyone, here is the stencil I used for the decals.

Mirrored image for printing direct to decal paper.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40107996/Pit/FH_Text_3.jpg

Original Visio template

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40107996/Pit/FH_Text_2.vsdx

I have 3 or 4 sheets of decal paper left, that I really cant see my self using, so that's appx 48 individual sets of stencils. If anyone is interested, please PM me and I'll cut however many lines you require and post out - I'll only charge postage as the decal paper will only go to waste otherwise.

I'd advise a good 3 or 4 rows of decals as the paper isn't as good as you'd get in a model kit as it's a bit 'stretchy', so a couple of practice runs are a good idea.

I also have a bunch of resin left over, so if anyone is after the end caps (or whatever they're called) let me know and i'll make up a batch.

• 1 month later...

New toys have arrived in time for Christmas :)

2013-11-21%2011.23.54.jpg

I'm having a mount made for the engine instruments which is being lasercut out of either 0.5 or 1mm HIPS. The setup charge is the highest cost so adding more mounts to the run should be fairly cheap. If anyone is interested, i'll get a quote for more material / laser time. Please let me know ASAP.