WTH happened to the load times?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sim uses more than 4gb now it seems.

Nate

I can believe this...to me it seems like it is having to swap a bunch of data out during load. (hdd going like crazy, massive cpu hit presumably because of the IO overhead)

So, I guess the question is..is it a bug introduced in 126, or is it the inevitable forward motion of new stuff vs old machines?

either way I need a better machine :P

My specs;

Win 8 Pro x64

Intel Xeon W3520 @ 3.2GHz, same as i7 920 D0

12GB RAM

128GB Corsair C300

nVidia 285GTX, 2 in SLI

For the instant action A10C hard mission, from the time I click the mission to being in cockpit is 47 seconds, and DCS was consuming 3.2GB of RAM. For the first A10C campaign mission, from the time I click fly, to being in cockpit is 56 seconds, DCS is consuming 3.5GB of RAM.

The load times do seem a bit longer, but for me they are still acceptable. I would also note the RAM usage is for DCS alone. Total usage of the system on the campaign mission is 5.8GB. If you only have 4GB, maybe even 6GB depending on what else you have running, you are hitting the swap file. If you only have a normal HDD and its swapping, your load times are going to sky rocket.

I don't think the HDD/SDD is having as much of an effect as it going to swap file is.

Edited by =Prophet=

Well, for me it's been a strange story. I've upgraded from 1.2.5 to 1.2.6 still on my legacy SATA 160GB HDD (magnetic) and mission load times were quite OK (1.5-2 minutes).

Thereafter made an upgrade to Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD. My games and stuff were on disk D: so no OS reinstall was necessary; I just copy-pasted things over and then changed the drives letters accordingly.

Guess what? After this operation, the missions load time increased to 5-6 minutes on SSD! Complete re installation of DCS:W + Modules brought no joy.

Nice job on that 1.2.6 patch "optimiZation".

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

It's your HDD. With a SSD load times are approx 15 seconds.

Doubt it's the hard drive Vipes, I'm on a 7200 rpm drive and still get 15-20 sec load times.

Win 7 x64 home edition

3930k 6 core (12 with hyper threading)

HD 7950 GPU

12 Gb ram

Maybe someone can read these log files and understand better where the problem is:

me.log:

=== Log opened UTC 2013-09-20 20:53:14

"..."

00421.121 ERROR DXGUI_EDGE_RENDER: Cannot load texture ''

"..."

EDGE Terrain is not released yet, so that could be the problem.:P

Seriously: We have nearly same sys specs. The GFX could be the problem, indeed.

What is youre loadtime when starting a Mi-8 Training mission?

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

Great news (for me) - this issue is resolved!!

The problem was intence disk swap access due to lack of memory.

I have added 4gb to a total of 8gb and the loading time is reasonable again.

This means that DCS world needs more than 4gb RAM, which can only be achived with a 64 bit OS

Great news (for me) - this issue is resolved!!

The problem was intence disk swap access due to lack of memory.

I have added 4gb to a total of 8gb and the loading time is reasonable again.

This means that DCS world needs more than 4gb RAM, which can only be achived with a 64 bit OS

Fair enough..looks like the culprit :)

Well, I had 8GB from start and nothing changed in config or system setting, however !suddenly! it became all normal again and even better than with the old disk (the expected SSD performance boost kicked in).

Not to be paranoid or something, but I have a strong suspicion that DSC performance mostly depends on the Moon phase :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Adding another 8GB of RAM fixed the loading time for me as well.

I did before and after timings for the upgrade but never timed 1.2.5 with 4GB.

Steam and TiR5 already running. Preload Radius at max. (150000m).

Desktop to DCS GUI 4GB (12GB no change)

1st run 0m 24s

2nd and subsequent runs 0m 9s

Su-25T Laser Guided Missile Practice 4GB (12GB)

Mission Brief "Fly" to Cockpit Brief "Fly" 4m 47s (1m 43s)

Quit to Debriefing 2m 3s (0m 11s)

Load the same mission a second time was not timed with 4GB (38s)

The Mi-8MTV2 Cold Start Training mission was similar.

So the initial GUI to Cockpit load time has reduced to 103s / 287 s = 36% after adding the extra memory.

I don't think I needed the full 8GB extra as it looks like DCS *might* be happy with 6GB total but didn't want to fill my motherboard with smaller memory modules that I would have to discard if I ever wanted more.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, BS2 upgrade, CA, Mi-8MTV2, P-51D, Su-25, UH-1H

Win7 x64, i7 860@ 2.80 GHz, 12 GB, Asus GTX 670, Saitek X52 Pro, TiR5

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

But mine configuration didnt change..I have 16 gb since last few versions of dcs, and only slow loading time i experience is since 1.2.6 patch?

My experience is that RAM has been the main problem. I have just upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, which means that I can now use ALL of my 24 GB installed DDR3 1600 RAM. Load times are 55 secs from initial load of DCS World; 1 min 55 secs to load first Mission; 52 secs to load second and subsequent Missions.

The result is now I get NO stutters and my frame rate has doubled to 80 fps.

I have now been able to upgrade to Version 1.2.6 of DCS World with no problems whatsoever. Like others I had gone back to Version 1.2.5 because of problems I was having.

Note that I do NOT have an SSD drive and I am still getting flawless results. All my scenery sliders are out to max as well - I am still getting used to all the stuff I was missing. Lesson - get more RAM!

It's a whole new world out there ...:D

Edited by roadrabbit
Added timing results

Alpine Systems PC with Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40/3.70 GHz. NVidia GTX590 Graphics. 24 Gb RAM (24 Gb usable!). 64 bit. Windows 7 PRO SP1. 3 x Samsung P2370 monitors. Thrustmaster HOTAS. TrackIR5. :joystick:

I Run Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate, I wonder if it's an Address Space issue in Home Premium and Below?

If Windows 7 Home Basic is Limted to 8 GB address space, and your using 3-4GB for Your GPU, that Puts you in the same boat as using a 32-Bit O/S. Same thing for users with 6GB

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I Run Windows 7 64-Bit Ultimate, I wonder if it's an Address Space issue in Home Premium and Below?

:thumbup: Yes - that's what my researcher at nVidia told me - it depends on two factors: the amount of RAM your computer hardware can handle, and the amount of RAM your Microsoft Windows operating system (OS) can handle. The figures he gave were:

Windows 7 (64 Bit): Home Basic - 8 GB; Home Premium - 16 GB;

Professional -192 GB; Enterprise - 192 GB and Ultimate - 192 G.

Incidentally, silly to ask, but I regularly clean my PC with CCleaner. I have used this program for some years now, ever since the huge improvement I got after first using it. With all the various upgrades to DCS World and any other updated programs there is a lot of crap left behind. CCleaner does it for me - could it help others?

PS Love the vapour trails off the wing tips :D

Edited by roadrabbit
Clean PC question

Alpine Systems PC with Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40/3.70 GHz. NVidia GTX590 Graphics. 24 Gb RAM (24 Gb usable!). 64 bit. Windows 7 PRO SP1. 3 x Samsung P2370 monitors. Thrustmaster HOTAS. TrackIR5. :joystick:

I run Windows 7 x64 Pro how does that differ from Home Premium below 16GB?

Windows 7 x64 Max Physical Memory

Home Basic 8GB

Home Premium 16GB

Pro 192GB

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

My experience is that RAM has been the main problem. I have just upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, which means that I can now use ALL of my 24 GB installed DDR3 1600 RAM. Load times are 55 secs from initial load of DCS World; 1 min 55 secs to load first Mission; 52 secs to load second and subsequent Missions.

The result is now I get NO stutters and my frame rate has doubled to 80 fps.

I have now been able to upgrade to Version 1.2.6 of DCS World with no problems whatsoever. Like others I had gone back to Version 1.2.5 because of problems I was having.

Note that I do NOT have an SSD drive and I am still getting flawless results. All my scenery sliders are out to max as well - I am still getting used to all the stuff I was missing. Lesson - get more RAM!

It's a whole new world out there ...:D

Ok...but all prior patches were having faster load times..So its patch related problem caused by new version of patch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

If Windows 7 Home Basic is Limted to 8 GB address space, and your using 3-4GB for Your GPU, that Puts you in the same boat as using a 32-Bit O/S. Same thing for users with 6GB

Exactly! Some people are not considering their GPU memory. It counts towards address space.

I hope some tuning is done so that people are not burdened with upgrading their OS, but I guess its not much different than needing to upgrade the RAM, or any other component. And if its not a memory leak, but a legitimate use of RAM, we should probably be happy about it.

Although it worked before, so hopefully something can be done.

Ok...but all prior patches were having faster load times..So its patch related problem caused by new version of patch

:noexpression: Hmmm ...... I'm not sure. If I was to upgrade to an SSD hard drive I suspect my load times would be greatly improved. I know it is not a great test of computer performance, but my Microsoft internal performance score is 5.9 and the limit is my data transfer rate of my hard disk. All other scores are 7.6 and above.

One day I shall upgrade the hard drive but, to be honest, I am very happy with what I've got at present. The way I see it is that DCS World is a very complex and full simulation - waiting for a short time (less than 2 minutes) for it to load is not a problem for me.

I get different load times for different aircraft and different missions.

Note that each aircraft also has its own system specs.

You can see by the time stamps in the log where the delays are.

I think we are feeling the early labor pains of the new IG.

That's the problem now,

with 32-bit you are limited to 4GB of Address Space.

after your BIOS Snags 8-16MB, your GPU Snags what it wants.

By time you Get to windows you only have maybe 2 GB that's usable by windows and most of it is reserved by the kernel.

Seeing as every time I boot a vanilla mission (just 1 Object on the map, nothing else), the ram usage is up around 2.8-3 GB already.

My System components use 6 GB of Address Space alone, between GPUs, CPU, HDDs, USB Devices and BIOS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs