[Q] Saitek X52 Pro Spring noises while moving stick

soyo

I'm a fresh owner of a HOTAS set, namely X52 Pro. It is my first advanced set like that(I'm coming from Logitech Freedom) and I'm simply astonished about it.

I did purchase a used one however. It was only 2 months old when I bought it from previous user, so it is fairly new. But since I didn't purchase a new one, there is one issue that I have doubts about, as to whether it is the characteristic of all these x52 devices and it's perfectly normal, or it is a defect of the stick I purchased.

The problem is with the springs that hold the stick in the central position. When I move the stick around, the metal round thing obviously makes some slight noise, which I'm 99% sure is normal (when it is forcing itself on the plastic part underneth it). However what also makes noise are the springs (or one spring, but I don't think it's important here whether both are making a sound or only one). When I have my headphones on I don't here it naturaly, but I can feel it a bit under my hand, and when I don't have my headphones on I can easily hear those noises.

Can any of you who owns the x52 pro as well tell me from your own expierience if it's normal, and your stick behaves exactly the same way?

I made also a video so that you can hear on your own, what noises I have in mind:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23242740/video-2013-09-07-12-01-39.mp4

Thanks in advance for your time and help

If its like a cracking or creaking noise when moving the joystick hard around is normal.

Thank you for taking the time.

Would you mind watching the video to get a better understanding of what I mean? You will be able to hear the noises very clearly.

cheers

Lucas

x52s are a bit quirky so each one has its unique set of problems, but as long as its detecting the movements alright theres nothing to worry about.

x52s are a bit quirky so each one has its unique set of problems, but as long as its detecting the movements alright theres nothing to worry about.

Yes it seems to work perfectly, so no technical problems with the set whatsoever. I played last 2 days a lot of Tie Fighter (I'm a space sim enthusiast) and the feeling is just amazing, and I didn't notice any technical problems whatsoever.

I was only trying to make sure those "spring noises" are normal. It's not irritating, but I wanted to make sure it's the same for everybody before I will finish the transaction with the seller who sold me the set.

ps. Thanks a lot for your take, and time.

Thanks TimeKilla.

Hi buddy just watched the video seems fine to me I even struggled to hear what you're hearing

Just for the referrence for others, seconds:

To name a few instances when the noises are heard.

but know what you mean I kinda thought the same when mine starting sounding like after a few days but its been working fine for months now.

Awsome. Thanks for sharring.

cheers

Lucas

Apply some lubricant (I use Liquid Moly, "Schmierfix") on the silver "dish" and on the spring endings if your x52 doesn't feel smooth or if the crackling is getting to loud. Wipe away the remains, so that dust doesn't settle too fast. If theres too much dust on it, wipe everything away and lubricate again.

Those noises I can hear in the video sound normal, and my x52 sounds similar, although you can minimize them by lubricating. I use my x52 for more than a year now, hadn't had any hardware problems in spite of those noises...

Apply some lubricant (I use Liquid Moly, "Schmierfix") on the silver "dish" and on the spring endings if your x52 doesn't feel smooth or if the crackling is getting to loud. Wipe away the remains, so that dust doesn't settle too fast. If theres too much dust on it, wipe everything away and lubricate again.

Those noises I can hear in the video sound normal, and my x52 sounds similar, although you can minimize them by lubricating. I use my x52 for more than a year now, hadn't had any hardware problems in spite of those noises...

Thanks so much!!!

Ok guys, one more question to you:

I noticed it for the second time, and it happened only after a long gaming session (couple hours, 4-5 something like that). When the set is connected for a long time, at one point the MFD screen backlit goes off. There are information on the screen seen, it just doesn't have green backlit. If I open control panel, and change the slide for the led intensity the backlit turns on again instantly. Any of you had something similar, or read about it from other users of this set?

Other LEDs on the stick as well as on the throttle are lit without any issues like that.

Below I attached again the video of it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23242740/video-2013-09-07-23-44-36.mp4

The x52 unfortunately comes with some software bugs that probably won't get fixed anymore. Sometimes mine resets the LED colour, or the profiles don't work until i restart the profiler. Also the letters on my MFD are scrambled up, seemingly because of the CPU being to fast... Although I can't recall having the exact same issue as you do I'm pretty sure it's just another bug in saiteks drivers and not a particular problem with your device.

Don't get me wrong though, the x52 is still a great joystick and I never had a problem with it in DCS that would've been a gamebreaker (I can live with just green LEDs just as well ;) )

The x52 unfortunately comes with some software bugs that probably won't get fixed anymore. Sometimes mine resets the LED colour, or the profiles don't work until i restart the profiler. Also the letters on my MFD are scrambled up, seemingly because of the CPU being to fast... Although I can't recall having the exact same issue as you do I'm pretty sure it's just another bug in saiteks drivers and not a particular problem with your device.

Don't get me wrong though, the x52 is still a great joystick and I never had a problem with it in DCS that would've been a gamebreaker (I can live with just green LEDs just as well ;) )

Awsome. Thanks for reasurances.

Ok, I guess that's it. Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to write responses.

• 8 months later...
The problem is with the springs that hold the stick in the central position. When I move the stick around, the metal round thing obviously makes some slight noise, which I'm 99% sure is normal (when it is forcing itself on the plastic part underneth it). However what also makes noise are the springs (or one spring, but I don't think it's important here whether both are making a sound or only one). When I have my headphones on I don't here it naturaly, but I can feel it a bit under my hand, and when I don't have my headphones on I can easily hear those noises.

I have the same problem. I lubricate that part of x52, but there is no effect. I use spray that was recommended by colleague, Ballistol spray, he used the same one and it helped for him but not for me.

any suggestion?

That's 'normal' for X-52 Pro. You may try to rotate the spring a bit. Lubricating won't help. Not that kind of a problem.

Regarding any funky behavior of the electronics. Be on the lookout for connecting cable (between the units) and sockets damage. Don't abuse them and return your stick as soon as you notice the funky behavior you're noticing can be triggered by slightly poking the connecting cable.

If you get tired of the poor centering mechanism you may want to remove it altogether and mod it like this

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1024168&postcount=1160