Experimenting the RAMDRIVE aproach.

I have downloaded a trial version of RAMDISK plus 8 and I was willing to see if I can reduce stutters by loading part of LOMAC into a ramdisk.

But how do I tell LOMAC to load the textures from ramdisk and not its current directory on the hard drive?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

While it may help, I don't think you will see any significant improvement. With FC, I would say the first bottleneck is CPU, then GPU and then I/O.

Check this article at Anandtech:

Gigabyte's i-RAM: Affordable Solid State Storage

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I saw that one. But Stutering and hard disk acces is the thing I want to remedy. My FPS are perfectly fine except when the system gets more and more hogged by disk access over time. Using RAMDISK might make those accesses imperceptible. Thats my objective.

My PC specs below:

I have tried another thing: I just placed my SWAP file on RAM!

I made a 256 MB Swap file on Ramdisk F:\ ,the difference is DRAMATIC. I can tab to windows without texture washout when I return ingame. It restores the game in a breeze!

My PC specs below:

I've noticed that when the Pagefile is deactivated applications like LockOn are improved a lot.

But sometimes it will crash because 1Gig of Ram isn't enough for use without the Pagefile.

In the next week i will buy a another Ram Stick with 512MB .. Finally i have 1.5 GB and them i will try it again

I've noticed that when the Pagefile is deactivated applications like LockOn are improved a lot.

But sometimes it will crash because 1Gig of Ram isn't enough for use without the Pagefile.

In the next week i will buy a another Ram Stick with 512MB .. Finally i have 1.5 GB and them i will try it again

Wich ramdrive app you use?

Mine will expire in 15 days.

My PC specs below:

This was posted before... I couldn't find a freeware version of ramdisk.

(cendent makes one but it's 50usd)

anyway..

in the config file you'll see path statements to temp textures and etc..

those, I *ass*u*me*, you edit those to point to the files on your ramdisk.

Thanks,

Brett

It doesnt.

My PC specs below:

I saw a night and day difference making my page file 2500 gigs or 2.5 gigs min and max = a permenant size. This has caused great speed increases ending the game and getting around in it like you say. Also killed system restore in xp. but I saw the same problem in 2000 so I think setting a permenant pagefile size and killing some unneeded services in windows will cause the same result as this ram drive thing or maybe even better.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

pilotasso,

I have tried this ramdisk approach long time ago in v 1.02 and it helps alot.

i copied most of the bazar folders to my ram disk if i remember correct that included Effects, graphics,sounds, and terrain.

then i edited the config files :grphics.cfg, and localizer.cfg" to point to the ram disk.

You feel the difference when u first fire a missile "it used to freez for a fraction of a sec. before" and when loading new terrain data. its much smoother.

the only headache was that i had to reload the directories to the ram disk each time i rebooted my system.

sig3small320x1503vh3.jpg

pilotasso,

I have tried this ramdisk approach long time ago in v 1.02 and it helps alot.

i copied most of the bazar folders to my ram disk if i remember correct that included Effects, graphics,sounds, and terrain.

then i edited the config files :grphics.cfg, and localizer.cfg" to point to the ram disk.

You feel the difference when u first fire a missile "it used to freez for a fraction of a sec. before" and when loading new terrain data. its much smoother.

the only headache was that i had to reload the directories to the ram disk each time i rebooted my system.

Im seriously considereing getting another Gig of RAM for this. I also found another free ramdisk utility:

http://www.tucows.com/get/321989_123395

Its not as functional but it works, and as far as I could tell has no limitation of use.

Weta: USB flash memory isnt nearly as fast as regular RAM. Have you tried to move big files to and from it?

My PC specs below:

I saw a night and day difference making my page file 2500 gigs or 2.5 gigs min and max = a permenant size. This has caused great speed increases ending the game and getting around in it like you say. Also killed system restore in xp. but I saw the same problem in 2000 so I think setting a permenant pagefile size and killing some unneeded services in windows will cause the same result as this ram drive thing or maybe even better.

I also have a permanet swap file of 2 GIG's. The problem is when theres activity in files near to its location it moves around causing alot of accesses.

Its not as smooth as RAMdisk by far. Every time data is pumped into it, the file has to be cleared of older data and that consumes time. you see the SIM hickup then.

System restore saved my life a few times and I dont think I can afford to be forced to format everytime I cant boot windows.

I Was unable to load more than a training mission with a 256 MB swap file on ramdisk, because when I tried to get online with it the game crashed due to lack of resources. This might change with another GIG of ram and if I pump the bazar folder into ram instead. Then if I set terrain preload to big numbers, it loads directly from a location of the memroy to the other without passing through the swap file.

BTW (where are my manners?) thanks Hawkey. That might be useful (if my utility is limited and I didnt notice it). Keeping it at my saves folder.

My PC specs below:

Well sounds like you got it handled.

If someone is interested consider something else than restore. How about this get your system like you want maybe its even 20 gigs big and backup that partition using norton ghost to another drive. Takes about 20 min or 30 min for 20 gigs. So if you get locked out of windows just throw ghost floppy in and restore the partition and your done. I can vouch for ghost . It will restore and back up partitions correctly and quickly.

I have just starting useing XP from 2000 and I am not impressed at all. I think id rather jump into beta testing Vista when I think about all the tweaking XP needed to handle my memory correctly. Owell

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I have just starting useing XP from 2000 and I am not impressed at all. I think id rather jump into beta testing Vista when I think about all the tweaking XP needed to handle my memory correctly. Owell

how about going back to 2000? I'm still using it, mainly because I'm not sure what improvements, if any, XP would make to my system. Any thoughts on this :confused:

I think we could have spared us some grief if ED had thought up of allowing the user to set the amount of memory the game uses to send textures to ram at the game load instead of each mission. It would have the same efects of a ramdrive except it wouldnt become a burdain for the other aplications. Dunno why it wasnt donne unless I missed some unescapable programing law.

My PC specs below:

how about going back to 2000? I'm still using it, mainly because I'm not sure what improvements, if any, XP would make to my system. Any thoughts on this :confused:

There is nothing wrong with 2000 , I only made the leap because I work on computers sometimes and do need to be more familier with XP and besides that friend had a free activation laying around. Yes like most techs we have waited this long to mess with XP. There is good and bad so far this past two months I have been gaming on it. I was hoping that I would find some huge advantage but since going from a socket A to a Scoket 939 that alone is night and day. I cant tell the complete story since I broke it out on my new 64 bit build that im on now. In addition to that I had been hoping that the 64 bit OS was going to be worth a damn and as far as I can tell it hasnt been even worth installing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! piss me off M$ :( Again alot of people are claiming Vista is actually going to work and come with driver and hardware makers support. We will see, I remember alot of people singing the blues when XP hit the public and cause compadability problems, example printers etc.

Your not missing anything that I can report. Actually the biggest advantage is for people who want to put up with or trust system restore and a built in firewall that only works in one direction. Down.