Russian missiles better?

I have played mostly with F-15 and almost every time i got hit by a russian air to air missile my plane will explode soon if i don't bail out, but when i fly with russian planes Migs,SU i have even managed to get back to homebase after been hit by U.S missile. Landing is just a little tricky when plane is seriously damaged. So i have come to conclusion that russian missiles are loaded with more firepower or russian planes are built more stronger. Am i terrible wrong?

Callsign Lycanthrope79

Well I have been hit in US and Russian jets and was able to land. And I have been shot down by a 15 when I was in a 33, that 120 blow my jet to pieces. My poor pilot could even bail out.

Also most russian missiles have alrger warheads - however, I think planes get exploded to bits and kill the pilot just a little too often.

On the othen hand that isn't too bad, given the 'vengeful maddogging of all that wasn't SARH' from damaged planes that used to plague this game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Also most russian missiles have alrger warheads - however, I think planes get exploded to bits and kill the pilot just a little too often.

On the othen hand that isn't too bad, given the 'vengeful maddogging of all that wasn't SARH' from damaged planes that used to plague this game.

Agreed. It was a needed workaround for death spamming. But the 120's warhead still seems to be modelled a bit weaker than it should. It seems to be on par with the 73.

I think from all the hits I recall hearing about from 120's, the target aircraft wasn't usually destroyed outright, but definitely put out of comission ... IIRC one of the Yugoslavian 29's lost an engine and managed to make it back, the other had to eject.

In general however, given the adaptive fuze, it's pretty likely that the 120 should put just abuot anything out of its misery. On the other hand, 9's and 73's shouldn't really be outright destroying aircraft.

I think perhaps we need to have better systems damage modelling before that's implemented, otherwise we'll be back to deathspamming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In real life what is more likely for an Aim120 and an Aim 9 in terms of a direct hit or proximity detonation to destroy/ damage the target? In some real world footage it appears that Aim9's tend to proximity detonate leaving even drones somewhat flyable.. That is just an observation on my part though.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

In general however, given the adaptive fuze, it's pretty likely that the 120 should put just abuot anything out of its misery. On the other hand, 9's and 73's shouldn't really be outright destroying aircraft.

Not sure about that ... from a number of accounts I've read, on a number of occasions 9s have been seen to fly up the tail pipe and the target disintergrates.

AIM9X

Those AIM-9X test-firing footage agains QF-4 drones show that it often goes off more that just few meters from the drone and barely hits the tail. On one occasion is didn't proximity-detonate and went through the QF-4 upper wing (drone was "evading" banked) and the missile detonated on contact, took the wingtip off (or maybe it didn't detonate and the wing under load just snapped). At least that's what I saw in that particular footage.

On the other hand, the intercept footage for missiles with small(ish) warhead (like those in SAM Tor) tend to show that the drone keeps happily "flying" but in fact it is going down. I always wondered if the people at the controls get extra bonuses if the missile takes the drone down ;)

Those AIM-9X test-firing footage agains QF-4 drones show that it often goes off more that just few meters from the drone and barely hits the tail. On one occasion is didn't proximity-detonate and went through the QF-4 upper wing (drone was "evading" banked) and the missile detonated on contact, took the wingtip off (or maybe it didn't detonate and the wing under load just snapped). At least that's what I saw in that particular footage.

That's because that missile was loaded with telemetry hardware instead of a proper warhead ;)

As you see in that footage though the impact itself sets off quite a fire.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure about that ... from a number of accounts I've read, on a number of occasions 9s have been seen to fly up the tail pipe and the target disintergrates.

That's the old AIM-9's in the vietnam war that used to track right into the tailpipe and explode there, bisecting the aircraft. More modern sidewinders, because the shots are taken at a wider aspect, tend to have different impact geometries.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok. Good to know that this isn't just my imagination. I think i fly more with Su-27 & 33. It's give's more variety to missions when you may have a chance to return home with damaged plane and have succesfully completed objectives. It isn't funny when everytime you fly with F-15 and on a way home field get hit by a rocket, the only way to survive is to bail out as fast as you can. Or as someone mentioned F-15 may turn in to a fireball instantly so you don't even have time to put fingers on CTRL-E. ;)

Callsign Lycanthrope79

Ok. Good to know that this isn't just my imagination. I think i fly more with Su-27 & 33. It's give's more variety to missions when you may have a chance to return home with damaged plane and have succesfully completed objectives. It isn't funny when everytime you fly with F-15 and on a way home field get hit by a rocket, the only way to survive is to bail out as fast as you can. Or as someone mentioned F-15 may turn in to a fireball instantly so you don't even have time to put fingers on CTRL-E. ;)

No, it's not like that. Sometimes, you get hit by a missile and your entire plane explodes instantly. Nothing you can do there. But a lot of other times your plane explodes a short while after you get hit. You can actually delay this explosion or downright stop it from happening if you apply joystick/rudder to reduce G.

Your plane explodes/disintegrates because the explosion from the missile knocks your jet into a tumbling spin/dive that the airframe can't handle, thus it'll explode shortly after. If you apply some opposite joystick/rudder input, often times this could lessen the G and give you time to eject. That's my experience anyway.

sigzk5.jpg

No, it's not like that. Sometimes, you get hit by a missile and your entire plane explodes instantly. Nothing you can do there. But a lot of other times your plane explodes a short while after you get hit. You can actually delay this explosion or downright stop it from happening if you apply joystick/rudder to reduce G.

Your plane explodes/disintegrates because the explosion from the missile knocks your jet into a tumbling spin/dive that the airframe can't handle, thus it'll explode shortly after. If you apply some opposite joystick/rudder input, often times this could lessen the G and give you time to eject. That's my experience anyway.

Yes, i noticed that too. Don't remember which plane i was flying though.

Is there any way to extinguish fire from jet engine(turbine, whatever:))?

In A-10 cockpit i see there is buttons to it, but are they simulated in game. Didn't find from keycard atleast.

Oh and what about dropping your extra fuel and remaining armament. Does that give you more chance of a survival?

Callsign Lycanthrope79

No, it happens 'automatically' and may or may not work ;)

Sometimes you'll be rolling the dice ... you might explode half way to your base!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NAEMNIK, this is downright baiting. Please don't do it again, ok?

Those of you who are tempted to answer, disagree or otherwise engage in real missile comparison, please PLEASE hold your horses. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, it happens 'automatically' and may or may not work ;)

Sometimes you'll be rolling the dice ... you might explode half way to your base!

That's a different thing altogether. The situation I was talking about was when the plane is already uncontrollable (at least to the point that it will crash). Aircraft seem to break up more easily and frequently at higher Gs.

But sure, if you manage to regain control and limp back to base, there's a random chance the last thing you see is an explosion before it's mission over.

sigzk5.jpg

Maybe because western fighters are a bit more "pretty" because of their complexity when it comes to being strong when hit by a missile.

Russian aircraft,in contrast are designed simple to take hits and safely return home(AFAIK).(Especially Su-27 and variants)

I think that's a rather gross misjudgement. There have been instances of F-15's flying with a meter of wing missing and the pilots not even realizing it. Both the F-15 and Su-27 are airframes cleared to withstand several times their own, quite enormous, weights.

I think warhead size of the missile is more of a factor than the relative size of those two aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]