Russian missiles better?

In the, for Lock-on, "classic" encounter - Su-27 vs. F-15C - the main BVR AAMs involved are the AIM-120 and R-27.

- warhead AIM-120 = ~ 20 kg(similar to R-77)

- warhead R-27(any version) = ~ 36 kg

So as GGtharos I would say that any difference in inflicted damage has to do with warhead size.

As far as the difference between the above mentioned weapons and the smaller "dogfight missiles"(R-73 and AIM-9) in terms of destructive power, keep in mind that there is a connection between warhead size and range of proximity fuse - i.e. a larger warhead of a BVR missile is often detonated further from its target than a smaller warhead of a WVR missile, so the end result in terms of damage may be similar.

- JJ.

JJ

In the, for Lock-on, "classic" encounter - Su-27 vs. F-15C - the main BVR AAMs involved are the AIM-120 and R-27.

- warhead AIM-120 = ~ 20 kg(similar to R-77)

- warhead R-27(any version) = ~ 36 kg

So as GGtharos I would say that any difference in inflicted damage has to do with warhead size.

As far as the difference between the above mentioned weapons and the smaller "dogfight missiles"(R-73 and AIM-9) in terms of destructive power, keep in mind that there is a connection between warhead size and range of proximity fuse - i.e. a larger warhead of a BVR missile is often detonated further from its target than a smaller warhead of a WVR missile, so the end result in terms of damage may be similar.

- JJ.

Well, the AIM-120 also has a "directional" warhead, so it probably can put more explosive "stuff" on target than other missiles of similar warhead size. Unfortunately, this is not modelled in Lock On.

sigzk5.jpg