Radio Frequency Problem

Strongbow

Hi all.

I am a brand new player and I have been doing training missions and a few early campaign missions this week. It is hard work but worthwhile as every weapon hit is well earned. Not to mention landing safely. I am having one problem which I am unable to sort and I thought you more experienced pilots might have come across this.

The mission I am currently trying to finish over and over again is a close combat support mission where you must assist in the advance of friendly forces between two points. There are many enemy units and I up until now I have simply blown away the primary target in the mission briefing. This one is more open ended so I decided to use the JTAC system to complete it.

There are two JTACs in this mission, Darknight and Moonbeam. Their frequencies are stated as 30.000 VHF FM and 40.000 VHF FM. I set the two receivers to these frequencies during takeoff procedure.

When the time comes to call up the JTACs I use the menu system in the top right of the screen. The JTAC responds and asks if I am ready for 9 line. So far so good...

When I try to copy that I am ready the radio emits a horrible electronic tone and the frequency on the lower of the two radios on the left hand console has changed to read 108.000 of its own accord.

The JTAC says nothing, not that I would be able to hear him anyway.

I reset the frequency on the radio and try again. Once again the frequency on the radio changes to 108.000 and nothing but a loud annoying electronic feedback sound.

I have read somewhere that if the frequencies are incorrectly set for their ranges this can happen but I don't understand why the radios are altering without my input.

Any help with this would be appreciated as I don't want to give up on this sim after having learnt so much,

I am running version 1.2.6.17746

:helpsmilie:

Thanks

Edited by Strongbow

I think I have solved the problem. I have switched off radio assists in the options. The radio now remains where I set it and the JTAC responds correctly every time.

I hope this helps someone else who has this problem.

See you guys in the skies.

Hey, I just started having this same issue today. It must be something with the latest update because I've never had this problem before. I am going to try switching that option you suggested. Thanks!

same here

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I think I have solved the problem. I have switched off radio assists in the options. The radio now remains where I set it and the JTAC responds correctly every time.

I hope this helps someone else who has this problem.

See you guys in the skies.

It may fix it for now but it wont help those who want to play with radio assist or easy comms. It's a bug and should be sorted. I'm sure it will be in due course but thanks for giving us a temp solution.

It may fix it for now but it wont help those who want to play with radio assist or easy comms. It's a bug and should be sorted. I'm sure it will be in due course but thanks for giving us a temp solution.

The only sure fix is to roll back to 1.2.5. I did this and will remain at this version level until ED fixes the 1.2.6 unpdate. The 1.2.6 update has more bugs and issues than I have ever seen ED release to their users. The 1.2.6 should have never been released in the first place.

The only sure fix is to roll back to 1.2.5. I did this and will remain at this version level until ED fixes the 1.2.6 unpdate. The 1.2.6 update has more bugs and issues than I have ever seen ED release to their users. The 1.2.6 should have never been released in the first place.

Agreed! It's been said before - get the current platform in good shape before ploughing off into the distance developing new stuff. True enough, we all want this sim to develop but we have to be able to use the current one to a high percentage of playability before moving on. I'm not being ungrateful because I love this sim - for me it's the best on the planet - but it needs to be stable and playable.

PJ

I've recently had very, very, very extensive experience with this loud tone problem with the radios. I've narrowed it down a little. When only one radio is on, it doesn't seem to happen. It sounds like someone is standing way too close to their amp / speakers while playing electric guitar...and they refuse...to..step..away.

I can't help but feel like it has something to do with radio encryption or freqs getting crossed somehow, or one freq accidentally trying to be used by two things at once. I bet that would recreate the sound, for someone not already suffering it.

But then I also can't get ahold of the units that I know I set to the freq I'm set to on Radio1 while Radio2 is off. It seems one radio at a time is the only way to keep it from making the noise, but the AFAC is grey'd out and I can't reach them.

I'm going to try changing the easy-comm setting and see what that changes. I sure hope that isn't what is causing the problem. I could've used regular comms so long ago, easy was just convenient while practicing other systems and custom missions while taking note that everything displayed the correct freq while playing.

Now that I've finally found a few people who maybe understand the problem, I'll definitely be checking back in, especially if I make some progress.

EDIT:

So, since I was worried I had redacted and adjusted too many aspects of the mission I'd been working on all evening for it to begin working correctly, even if I did find the problem, I started over with a new mission, and gave things legitimate frequencies to use, and turned off easy comms. It worked perfectly!

I started over creating my custom mission because I tried using that "pre-settings" thing, I forget what its actually called, where you hop in the plane and set it up for the player beforehand, jump out and back into the MissionEditor and save the mission. Anyway, I was worried something I'd done in that may've been attributed to the problem. So I started fresh. If anyone passing through knows how to "undo" a pre-configuration through that aspect of the mission editor, please lemme know. Its kind of inconvenient if to remove presettings, you have to just totally redo the entire mission. It was quite a complex mission with lots of triggers, zones, paths, pictures, descriptions, radio messages, radio message timers adjusted correctly, and enemy / friendly AI waypoint ETA timing matched up perfectly how I needed it, to cause the fight that I wanted. =(

Hopefully I don't get that far again and realize I can't remove something I thought would make playing it more intuitive.

Edited by GateCrasherVI

If anyone passing through knows how to "undo" a pre-configuration through that aspect of the mission editor, please lemme know.

The "Mission Prepare" feature stores the settings of CDU, radios, etc. in separate files within the mission file. I am not too familar with those files, but this might be helping you a bit:

• Mission files (xyz.MIZ) are just zip-files. So if you rename them to xyz.ZIP you can open them and change them.
  • Save your mission before you use the "Mission Prepare" and rename it as .ZIP
  • Do the same after you did the mission prepare.
  • Compare the contents of both - and you should get an idea of how "Mission Prepare" actually works.
  • Then you could try to remove the additional files within the mission file and name it back to xyz.MIZ

@ Nate: Although not to do with Jtac you can get the tone everyone is mentioning if you use the auto startup. When the ai radio's for permission to start up. After that step you have to turn the radio off.

This happens every time you do this.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8BNA, C-101CC/EB, F-14 A/B, F-15C, F-15E, F-16CM, F/A-18C & Super carrier, F-86F-35, L-39 C/ZA, Mirage 2000C, MIG-15BIS, MIG-21BIS, MIG-29, SU-25A, SU-25T, SU-27, SU-3.  BF-109K4, FW-190D9, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk IX, TF-51D.  AH-64D, KA-50 2, KA-50 3, MI-24P, MI-8MTV2, UH-1H.  Caucasus, Nevada/NTTR, Normandy 2, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, Sinai

Could I also ask users to tune their radio out of range and see if the tone matches what they are hearing?

There is a bug in your version that incorrectly has some freq 10MHZ higher than shown. EG 140 is 150, 150 is 160 etc etc.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

Could I also ask users to tune their radio out of range and see if the tone matches what they are hearing?

There is a bug in your version that incorrectly has some freq 10MHZ higher than shown. EG 140 is 150, 150 is 160 etc etc.

Nate

Yep, I have a tanker that's supposed to be on 150 and gives me the annoying tone at this frequency. Tuning to 140 allows me to contact him.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat