why russian pits are in baby blue color?

muamshai

It's friendlier for your eyes in various light conditions.

Example:

Bright sky and Dark cockpit = your Iris needs more time to open/readjust when you look into the cockpit .

When you have a brighter cockpit-tone the time that is needed for readjusting your eyes is significant shorter and it doesn't tires your eyes as much as if you would have a dark cockpit.

Or maybe when this tradition started there was very much blue paint around... (I like it blue though)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

+1 PeterP

...and maybe some psychological effect in adition. But almost every plane/helo type has different shade of blue. Compare for exaple MiG-21, MiG-29, Su-27, Ka-50...

1545613.jpg

3765884851_ccfd583ca9.jpg

pic1_17.jpg

1621.jpg

4469344181_f6caaa6e73.jpg

Edited by Suchacz

+1 PeterP

...and maybe some psychological effect in adition. But almost every plane/helo type has different shade of blue.

Blue has been proven scientifically to have a calming/soothing effect on people. Keeping the pilot relaxed can most certainly have it's benefits. Pink would have been better choice but that also reduces aggression which is not such a good thing being a military pilot.

Pink would have been better choice but that also reduces aggression which is not such a good thing being a military pilot.

Thank god. I can't imagine myself flying something with cockpit that looks like Barbie's car, yuk :cry: :lol:

2009-fiat-500-birthday-gift-for-barbie-cockpit-interior-view.jpg

Thank god. I can't imagine myself flying something with cockpit that looks like Barbie's car, yuk :cry: :lol:

2009-fiat-500-birthday-gift-for-barbie-cockpit-interior-view.jpg

Yea, also having the high contrast from Blue with the instruments allows easier reading of the instruments.

That's why the USA stopped using black on some Fighters

487th Squadron

Section Leader

I really love the look of the blue cockpits. It does remind me of hospitals some times though :) . Especially the Green/blue like in the Hind (iIrc).

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

Blue has been proven scientifically to have a calming/soothing effect on people. Keeping the pilot relaxed can most certainly have it's benefits. Pink would have been better choice but that also reduces aggression which is not such a good thing being a military pilot.

I see permutations of this assertion over and over again whenever this topic comes up. Not to pick on you specifically, but frankly, where's the evidence?

Firstly, I want to see these scientific studies on colour and mood. I am suspicious because human psychology and emotion is notoriously messy and dependent on context, and because saying that the colour blue has a "calming/soothing effect" is dangerously similar to a 'common sense' answer (which, as logic dictates, is no indicator of the truth and therefore has no place in science). Secondly, putting aside the quality of these scientific studies, I want to see the evidence that Russian aircraft designers were actually influenced by these studies when they selected blue for their cockpits.

• Like 1

Since you have learned to associate different colors to different feelings and emotions since you was a kid, means that colors can extend your feelings and emotions but context is the main ingredients for sure.

I believe blue would be easier on your eyes if flying in daytime.

I heard that if you are in totally red room your pulse will get up compared to a green room which make you relax.

Humans see more nuances of green than any other color, could that help anything.

Edited by Teknetinium

Teknetinium 2017.jpg
                        51st PVO Discord SATAC YouTube

It's friendlier for your eyes in various light conditions.

Example:

Bright sky and Dark cockpit = your Iris needs more time to open/readjust when you look into the cockpit .

Correct.

When you have a brighter cockpit-tone the time that is needed for readjusting your eyes is significant shorter and it doesn't tires your eyes as much as if you would have a dark cockpit.

..unless you are flying at night with NVGs in which case its the other way around and a dark colour is preferable.

Yea, also having the high contrast from Blue with the instruments allows easier reading of the instruments.

That's why the USA stopped using black on some Fighters

I find the bright paint more distracting and harsher. It makes the cockpits look more cluttered in my opinion. a gentle gray or black makes the instruments stand out better. Also, dark colors don't reflect off of the windows as much in my car.

Actually, I think you have that backwards. Your eyes don't need to adjust when looking down into a dark cockpit, because the important details (switches, needles, tick marks, labels, monitors) are still brightly detailed, so they have similar relative brightness/visibility to the outside. The problem would be if you have been looking down for a while and try to look back outside, everything else gets brighter again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see permutations of this assertion over and over again whenever this topic comes up. Not to pick on you specifically, but frankly, where's the evidence?

Firstly, I want to see these scientific studies on colour and mood. I am suspicious because human psychology and emotion is notoriously messy and dependent on context, and because saying that the colour blue has a "calming/soothing effect" is dangerously similar to a 'common sense' answer (which, as logic dictates, is no indicator of the truth and therefore has no place in science). Secondly, putting aside the quality of these scientific studies, I want to see the evidence that Russian aircraft designers were actually influenced by these studies when they selected blue for their cockpits.

Here's a starting point

search this phrase "scientific study of colour and effects on mood" in Google and if you still don't agree argue the point with all the universities and institutions that conducted the studies. I seriously have better things to do with my time.

+1 PeterP

...and maybe some psychological effect in adition. But almost every plane/helo type has different shade of blue. Compare for exaple MiG-21, MiG-29, Su-27, Ka-50...

Bare in mind though that photo compression(for web use) has a nasty tendency to corrupt color representation.

E.g. in your examples the high-res MiG-21 photo shows the "turquoise" color(typical for cockpits of earlier Soviet aircraft) well, while the Su-27 photo is poor quality and the light blue color appears "faded" to the point where it looks almost looks like the color of the MiG-29 cockpit, which in turn isn't blue at all, but grey with a slight green tone.

BTW it isn't just Russian cockpits. US cockpits such as for the F-15 and F-18 are often refered to as being "light ghost grey", but they aren't - they are "dark gull grey".

Here's a starting point

search this phrase "scientific study of colour and effects on mood" in Google and if you still don't agree argue the point with all the universities and institutions that conducted the studies. I seriously have better things to do with my time.

:doh:

You don't think I've done that? Keeping in line with your dismissive tone, try following your own advice, mate.

I have looked through five or so pages using your search terms and all I see are a bunch of pop-psych articles and human interest filler stories littered with unsupported 'common sense' claims. You can even see the same phrases and sentences copied and pasted from article to article. I couldn't find any actual studies, but the articles that seemed to have some scientific legitimacy suggested that colour affects mood, but importantly made no real claims as to which colours do what, and, in fact, suggested that the subjective nature of colour may affect people differently in different contexts.

As for you having "better things to do with (your) time", you're the one making the claim, so the onus is on you to back it up. That's how argument works. If you don't back up your claims you're just parroting potential misinformation for no other reason than it makes intuitive sense to you. Furthermore, when I called you on your unsubstantiated assertion, you suggested that I should be the one to do your legwork (!), which is clearly contrary to the burden of proof.

I would welcome confirmation of this claim and would consider it a learning opportunity. I am willing to change my mind if the evidence warrants it. Are you?

So far you don't seem to be very interested in the spirit of argument. Go ahead and dismiss me as making something out of nothing and typing too much I guess

Until I see evidence of the intent of Russian designers, I think the "blue Russian cockpit" question is just a Rorschach test for flightsimmers: everyone interprets it in the way that makes sense to them. Case in point this thread. Some speak of mood, some of contrast, some of sky and environmental conditions, and others of physiological qualities of the human eye. People think what they want to think and fill in the details later.

The Colors of the russians pits have the goal to calm down the pilot in an extreme situation. This Color is used in Labs, Hospitals, operating room...

when the USA dont like use this Color, for sure it is because the russian have taken this direction first. I prefer the russian cockpit Color, is good for my eyes too and is clear to see all the instruments

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Courtesy of pepin, we have another Rorschach test response: nationalistic pride and bragging rights for being the first to use a cockpit colour.

Really? This thread is a joke.

"Who cares if the commies used light blue first? Us 'MURICAN's don't need no girly colours in our jets!!!!"

Edited by Crescendo

Tek, what particularly are you drawing our attention to?

If you're talking about mood, I don't see anything in that section that supports the claim that blue has a calming or soothing effect. In fact, one bullet point says:

"Some studies find that color can affect mood. However, these studies do not agree on precisely which moods are brought out by which colors."
This supports my opinion that talking about mood and colour is problematic.

Another question I would have is why does the Wikipedia article say "some" studies when supporting this claim? There is only one study footnote referencing this claim, not multiple studies, and that one study cannot be read without subscribing to that journal. Where are these "some studies"? What's the evidence and how was it gathered? At least give me the abstract to read if you're going to put it behind a paywall.

Turns out these studies aren't so easy to find and read. And aussieboy said we should all just Google It. :megalol:

In my opinion there is hardly any evidence for a specific colour eliciting a specific mood(s). The few studies that you can find (good luck), only make the claim that colours can affect mood, which I am not arguing against. The majority of articles on the Internet about colour and mood can be classified as folk tales, as 'conventional wisdom', as 'common sense', as things that 'everyone just knows' to be 'intuitively true'. Sorry, but intuition and common sense is not the equivalent of scientific evidence.

Until someone can provide evidence to the contray, saying that Russian cockpit designers use blue to "calm/soothe" their pilots is very likely rubbish. I think it's just a 'common sense' fairy tale that someone made up years ago to explain the colour, and people just latched onto it because it felt correct. Then, whenever the topic comes up in the future, people just automatically remember that "it has a calming effect" and the cycle continues.

Edited by Crescendo

it would seem some have problems accepting the fact Russians used logic, psychology to come to terms of what color is needed while US went straight to Darth Vader fashion ..

we see this trend of western technology lovers argue everything Russians do no matter how sensible just since west wasn't the first one to do that instead.. the moment abrams and leopard get the auto-loaders for the tanks all of a sudden we will hear west invented auto-loaders and this is the future of tank combat.. lol..

it is what it is..

and no, crescendo, this isn't us making stuff up, this is proven that blue color soothes one's mind and it certainly helps your eyes adjust from observing the outside of cockpit (sky,light blue sky,etc) back to instrument panel-light blue.. the transition is much easier for the eyes..

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/a/colorpsych.htm

studies proving this are numerous, but studies proving other logic that you support-black color somehow being helpful are very few indeed if any at all..

for instance, would anybody love to have their kitchen painted in BLACK? or bedroom? or any room for that matter? ..