Really, ffs!

leroy1964

It probably is a good business model in the short term. But I am afraid that it is not in the medium/long term.

Steam's been doing this for a long time and they are very successful with it. The customers learned to buy whatever they really want now, and wait for the stuff they don't care for so much (or can't afford) to go on one of their 75% sales. Everybody's more or less happy. It's just a question of getting used to the business model.

Don't want to support a beta? Wait for it to go final.

Not really all that much interested? Wait for it to go on sale.

Want something NOW? Buy it for the full price.

I wasn't interested much in the Huey. I bought it on sale and had a blast with it. The Mi-8 OTOH is exactly what I wanted, so I bought it for the full price as soon as it was available. If it goes on sale tomorrow, I won't bitch about it, cause I got to play it on day 1 and that's what I paid for :).

The only thing FFS-worthy about DCS sales is the tired, predictable whining whenever a sale happens.

You are not a special snowflake for paying full price, except insofar as it marks you as less patient. If you're enjoying the module at full price, and then it goes on sale two weeks later, it doesn't change the fact that you were enjoying the module at the price you paid for it. Whereas, for the Huey and the P-51 in particular, I would not have paid full price. By having a sale, ED and Belsimtek made $10 or $15 each on me they wouldn't have made at all otherwise, because I find the P-51 and Huey to be about $15 of enjoyment a pop, and not worth more than that to me. You obviously thought the Huey was $40 or $50 of fun when you bought it. If you didn't really think so, you should have waited for a sale, too.

• Like 2

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

It probably is a good business model in the short term. But I am afraid that it is not in the medium/long term.

In my humble opinion, those who got the product not so long ago for the full price are not happy with the fact that the product was sold at 1/5 of the full price, even if only last 24 hours.

I honestly don't care, though I can see why others would. At the time of purchase, I saw the price thought it was fair and payed. I'll continue to do this as every purchase so far has been worth it.

If even the Beta version get this discount, I can surely admit, that from now on, as a customer point of view, will stop buying Beta version in the full price, better wait a few weeks and try to get lucky at a discount rate promotion.

I'll keep buying Beta. I end up with the same product and on top of that I get it earlier, it's a fair trade. Pay more to get it now, or wait (for an unknown time period) and pay less. At $40-50, these games aren't expensive and paying more keeps the devs in business so it's a win-win for me.

But I can't accept that a Beta version of a software, let's call it an add-on like we used to do or in more recent terms DLC, that cost the same or almost the same of a full flight simulator have a discount so early in the process.

You're not buying the beta. You're buying the full thing. Updates are included. The only difference between buying it now and buying later is how long you own it. Content is exactly the same.

So from now on I refuse to buy Beta versions and I'll wait either for a discount of that Beta version or buying the full final product.

That is completely reasonable, but I see no reason to do it.

Just my humble opinion of a long time costumer that bought 99,98 USD of Beta products for supporting the cause.
I'm at $100+, not really sure of the exact amount, and I've never really cared about the sales. At this point (unless you're new) we know they'll be coming. So either wait for them or buy the modules as they come out. Up to you.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Just a couple of small points.

This is not the first time the Huey has been on sale for less than half of the original price.

The A-10 was released 2 and 1/2 years ago.

Woa! It's been so long?? Feels like it happened yestarday..

Flight sim addict, physics freak, mathematics degenerate :D

I know I complain allot however, I went on steam today and Huey is $9.00 Oz, really? FFS! I only just bought this over a week ago (maybe two) however this really sucks for those of us who paid full price of $49.99 and only recently.:cry:

I mean don't get me wrong, great pick up for under $10.00, however I just can't help think "this is all your going to get beta or not" prove me wrong?

Oh and before I forget Steam is selling them as "DLC" for DCS World, umm, is this where we are headed, free base program and having to buy the A/C to use it?

Also, lucky day for the buyer, A10C going for the cheap price of under $10.00 as well, wasn't that at least recently new as well? paid $60.00 bucks for it as well if I recall.:mad:

I have been ranting and raving of another sim I bought just a few days ago which does just this, having to buy A/C that really should be in the game, but the replies where, "hey buddy, get over it, this is how things are now" or something like that. Tell me, whats so wrong in just buying a 'flight sim, complete, not beta etc etc, is this where flight sims are headed and people really don't care. Please tell me this isn't so?:cry:

Lastly it is not about the money, not really, it is about a trend I see developing and it seems to have found it's way into DCS World. I know people will bag me but as 'total biscuit and angry joe' have both said this is not good for gaming and you know they are correct. Just look at the games that have come out with stuff missing yet you can buy only on pre-order or later as DLC and there are a handful of games that really ripped people off. I am worried that this is where we are headed. Are they going to refund people the difference as they only just bought the game (say yesterday) I think not. Greed, greed and more greed and yet we keep allowing this to happen. (sorry got off subject a tad):doh: however you all get the gist of what I am trying to say.

I remember you from the steam forums for ROF, I honestly don't know what you expect use to say, clearly you have already made up your mind on the way flight sims are now sold.

Look, as others have already explained to you, The DCS modules are more or less completely separate products, they take a great deal of money, time and effort to create and end up being a terrific value if you are interested in flight simulation at all.

As far as the sale, it is not some sort of conspiracy or something, you just got the game before it went on sale, it happens with EVERY product out there and you should know that by now, you don't have to like it but complaining wont change anything.

I think you just need to change your approach to all of this (both DCS and ROF) and understand that the market is MUCH different than it was years ago, flight sims are not as popular and the fan base has shrunk significantly, this in conjunction with massively increased fidelity in the products increases not on the cost but also the time needed to make them.

If you want a survey sim like the old Jane's stuff, well, that kind of thing was easier back then, cheaper and faster to produce, if you want something like DCS World, it has to be made in parts or else the development would take many years.

Really, just think of each module as it's own product and DCS is the glue that allows you to play them all together online, you need to get this "DLC" thing out of your head because that is a steam thing, not a DCS thing.

Seriously, I don't know what to tell you beyond that.

Just my take, but if I lost my a10c tomorrow and found it would cost $99.00 (euro) to replace... I wouldn't even blink. This sim is worth it...

and for the same reason I don't buy used books.... the cash should go to the writer / inventor.... just sayin'!

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

What are your views on public libraries? :(

I use them for research only :thumbup:

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

It's -10% now. Seems like it was a typo.

Then again, being on Steam gibes ED a lot of exposure. Apparently Steam is out of A-10C keys.

Edit. Now it's 80% again.

Nope for it's back down to £6 or $9.99 until 1730 GMT

Best buy of the century.

This will come back to bite them I think.

I for one will wait in future to see what prices eventually come down to.

I've got too many thing to play or sim with anyway. :smartass:

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

When I bought UH-1 and the MI-8, I was being forced to pay full price although I did not want to. I really wanted to wait for a sale but I was forced into entering my credit card number and click all the "okay" buttons knowing full well that the item could go on sale at any point.

Get real people - you don't like the price then don't buy.

Take that any way you want to.

Well, I got DCS BS1 and BS2 upgrade and A-10 modules at ED store for the full price I think (I only not get the FC yet), but recently I got Huey on Steam sale. And now I almost feel guilty like I stole it coz Steam price was so low.

I think I will buy the Mi8 for the full price to support the devs - the Huey is absolutley fantastic module, thank you for making it. But I can understand some people frustration with the recent super low sale on Steam.