Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

Hello everybody, since the same questions are asked a billions time despite being clarified everywhere, let's link them all together.

**EFFECTIVE 05/12/2017, STARTING w/ DCS:M2000C and Newer, Modules will no Longer Use Starforce and Will Use Steam's DRM, There fore these Modules Cannot be Purchased and Used with the Eagle Dynamics Distribution**

(Easiest Way to tell is Modules that still use starforce will have the 3rd Party DRM Notice in the Features List on the Right Side when You are on Module's/DLCs Page).

Can I activate my DCS World Module purchased on steam on DCS World Standalone(Non-Steam)?

Yes, you will simply need to retrieve your serial key which can be found within your steam library and right-clicking on DCS World -> "View CD Key" then use this serial key to authenticate your module on DCS World.

Another way to view your cd-key is by simply by clicking the "CD-Key" link on the right side menu displayed after clicking DCS World within your library as

Can I use my modules purchased from ED Store on Steam?

Note: from 06/07/2014, License Keys purchased from ED, Gamefly or other External Sources will no longer activate on Steam.

See:

My Steam DCS World does not show any key!

It can sometimes happen that the steam store run out of keys for the games sold on their platforms. Wait until the developers give them a fresh batch of keys and you will be able to get your key afterward.

I just purchased a module off steam and it is now in rebate!, what can I do!?

This is basically your fault for not waiting on future deals but you can always contact steam to see if they can do somethings about it (which can sometimes happen if it was purchased a few minutes earlier)

You can contact them by accessing the following page :

I have added my key to Steam but the module does not appear in the game

After entering the key of your newly purchased product, Steam will update DCS World. Make sure the game is not active and let the update finish before re-entering the game.

I purchased a newly released module and I cannot register it over steam

If the module has been released within a month, you will have to wait until the module is published on the steam platform and then wait for the keys purchased from the ED store to be added to the Steam database. If you really want to try to module right away, your only option is to get it from the DCS World Standalone which can be found on the main website :

Can I have both the standalone and Steam versions of DCS installed? Do they share settings? Are there any negative side-effects?

You can have both installations on your PC at the same time. There won't be any negative effects due to both installations keeping all their updates / configurations within their own folders.

How do I add command line arguments to a steam shortcut?

- Right click on DCS World within your Steam Library

- Select Properties

- Click on "Set Launch Options"

- Type your command line options.

Every time the game is launched, the arguments will be executed.

Why doesn't the game track my time played?

Why the Steam overlay is not working?

This is currently an issue with the launcher which should soon be fixed. Once the issue is resolved, the time will be tracked as long as you are not playing in "Steam Offline Mode".

Are patches/updates for the Steam version of DCS released at the same time as the standalone? Is this a source of potential issues if both are installed and used between updates?

DCS World Updates are pushed through ED servers for the standalone and Steam Servers for the Steam platform thus resulting in a delay when using Steam (since Steam has to first receive and handle the new update). The good new is that the updates will be much quicker to download from your Steam platform. The negative side is that you might have to wait before being able to play with your friends using the standalone version on the latest revision.

What are the differences between the Standalone DCS World and the Steam version?

Steam Version :

- Auto-Update without launching the game (as long as steam is open)

- Faster Update Speed

- Steam In-Game Overlay

- Steam Friend List Notifications

- Quick Repair

- DLCs not present on steam are unsupported

Standalone DCS World :

- Get all the modules as soon as they are released

- Does not require any extra program to be launched

- Has every single modules available

If you are fine with waiting for most product to be available on steam and like most of the Steam feature, the Steam version might be for you.

If you own unsupported products such as Upgrades / FC3 or do not care about the Steam functionalities, Standalone DCS World might be for you.

My Steam installation crash / does not work properly anymore, is there any way to fix it?

You repair your installation by going in the properties of DCS World which can be done by right clicking on DCS World within your library and selecting Properties. Then selecting the Local Files tab, which allow you to repair or uninstall the software.

attachment.php?attachmentid=87607&stc=1&d=1378859143

Feel free to add your own question / answer using the same format below. Please refrain from saying ANY COMMENTS since this is basically the main reason why these questions are repeated so often (visibility)

Attachments:

View Cd-Key :

attachment.php?attachmentid=87608&stc=1&d=1378859485

Redeem :

attachment.php?attachmentid=87609&stc=1&d=1378859485

verify.jpg.7ad4724dbf5ed9476d53c5a18629d757.jpg

viewcd-key.jpg.38ed0394efceaf6d0249b10c613988d1.jpg

redeem.jpg.0d59e6f33efe8d1ba7bd9b4be077d94e.jpg

Edited by SkateZilla
marked non-steam dlcs as unsupported by the steam version
  • Like 3

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can Also Get your CD Key via:

attachment.php?attachmentid=103662&stc=1&d=1409251626

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Are we able to purchase Steam versions and use the key on a non-Steam DCSW installation?

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Are we able to purchase Steam versions and use the key on a non-Steam DCSW installation?

From the post at the top of the thread. Two posts above yours. The very first question, in fact.

Can I activate my DCS World Module purchased on steam on DCS World Standalone?

Yes, you will simply need to retrieve your serial key which can be found within your steam library and right-clicking on DCS World -> "View CD Key" then use this serial key to authenticate your module on DCS World.

Another way to view your cd-key is by simply by clicking the "CD-Key" link on the right side menu displayed after clicking DCS World within your library as SkateZilla mentioned

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

From the post at the top of the thread. Two posts above yours. The very first question, in fact.

:doh: Sorry, didn't see that.

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Thanks for doing this ShaZe88.

Some suggested additions for ShaZe88 to edit into the OP: (some may have obvious answers, but I think it's important to cover everything in one place)

Q: How do I launch directly into Multiplayer Mode from Steam?

Q: Can I have both the standalone and Steam versions of DCS installed? Do they share settings? Are there any negative side-effects?

Q: Why doesn't the game track my time played?

Q: Are FC3 and the BS2 Upgrade coming to Steam, or is this not planned?

Q: Are patches/updates for the Steam version of DCS released at the same time as the standalone? Is this a source of potential issues if both are installed and used between updates?

Steam DCS A-10C

Can i merge a steam purchased DCS A-10C & ED shop purchased FC3 in WORLD ?

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

Can i merge a steam purchased DCS A-10C & ED shop purchased FC3 in WORLD ?

Yes, but since FC3 is not supported on Steam, you will have to do it with a non-Steam install of DCS World.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, but since FC3 is not supported on Steam, you will have to do it with a non-Steam install of DCS World.

Thanks.

That means to download the current A-10C from ED and install it in WORLD using the serial i got through my old steam purchase?

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

Thanks.

That means to download the current A-10C from ED and install it in WORLD using the serial i got through my old steam purchase?

Yes.

Is it recommended to change to Steam if only having hard disk Space left for one copy?

Will all upcoming modules be available in Steam?

What are the differences between the Standalone DCS World and the Steam version?

Steam Version :

- Auto-Update without launching the game (as long as steam is open)

- Faster Update Speed

- Steam In-Game Overlay

- Steam Friend List Notifications

- Quick Repair

Standalone DCS World :

- Get all the modules as soon as they are released

- Does not require any extra program to be launched

- Has every single modules available

If you are fine with waiting for most product to be available on steam and like most of the Steam feature, the Steam version might be for you.

If you own unsupported products such as Upgrades / FC3 or do not care about the Steam functionalities, Standalone DCS World might be for you.

I believe that should be a pretty good answer. Feel free anyone to add points that I could have missed. This is mostly the pros of each version.

Steam / DCS-Shop Keys

I bought every DCS product so far.

Some in thr DCS or LockonShop and some in Steam.

Right now I tried to install everyting in Steam. Every Module worked except BS1 / BS2. Is that correct?

I bought BS1 and BS2 upgrade in the DCS shop. Do I have to install everything outside Steam to have every Module available (as I ll be able to use the Steam key outside Steam) if I don't want to re-purchase BS in Steam?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

• 2 weeks later...
I have A-10c, It will not Start? Could Anyone Tell me why I keep Getting (press-pause/Break)....What is the key? what is the pause button.

The Pause key is "F16" on my Apple keyboard, and generally it's the key just above "Page Up". Otherwise you can just click the little "Fly" button in the bottom left of the window when you start a flight.

Hope this helps!

--NoJoe

the button that says:

PAUSE

---------

BREAK

?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Here an important information for the players who purchased the A-10C via Steam before DCS WORLD was released on Steam.

You might have added the serial number to your non Steam Version of the game in the past ( I had bought all 4 A-10C modules for my 4 playeraccounts I do own via Steam before DCS-World was avaible on Steam/thats why I know about this issue)

Since DCS World is avaible on Steam, Steam granted their customers another new serial number/different from the original products serialnumber to the DCS A-10C for your Steam account for use in DCS WORLD on Steam (DLC CD-Key for the A-10C).

When you have ever activated the origianal serialnumber /bind it to your DCS account in the past before the release of DCS World on Steam and you play the A-10C on the Steam DCS World logging in with the same login you use for the non steam version of the game you might face a problem wich I want to share with you and its solution.

The new issued serialnumber (Steam DLC CD-Key) granted from steam for your pre DCS World on Steam bought A-10C product will get bind to your DCS account, regardless that there is already/still the original serial number of the same product binded to your account. For a while you even might not notice this fact at all. But when you try to log into the serverbrowser/multiplayergame after reinstalling the whole non steam DCS WORLD and its modules with the activated A-10C module you might face the message "wrong serial number". It took me a couple of attempts solving the issue until I noticed the drop down menue in the module manager of the non steam DCS World version next to the A-10C wich showed me surprisingly both serialnumbers of the module (the original and the one issued by steam after the DCS World launch on Steam.

Solution:

Deactivate the A-10C with the modulemanager in the non steamversion of DCS WORLD.

now open another tab in your browser:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/myserials.php

there you can unbind the doubled serial numbers.

Best you back them up bofore unbind ... because they will disapear.

If you missed the backup of the keys check them out again on Steam).

Depending if you played the A-10C on Steam DCS World or not (or whatever else counts in) it differs wich of the two serials will be accepted by the game when you reactivate them (by starting the multiplayer via desktop shortcut while holding the left shiftkey pressed).

http://forums.eagle.ru/customprofilepics/profilepic59985_2.gif

Edited by BrunoDerRabe

• 3 weeks later...

Can I use my modules purchased from ED Store on Steam?

Yes except for the Black Shark 1 Upgrade and the Flaming Cliff 3 package.

To do so :

1 - Open Steam, select the "Games" menu located at the top and select "Activate a Product on Steam".

2 - Enter your serial key obtained from ED

doesnt works to me:(

i have ED store Black Shark 1 and Black Shark 2 upgrade keys can not activate via Steam

DCS-10C, DCS UH-1H Huey bought from steam

any idea ?

Edited by DrCrow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My ReShade 2 configuration for DCS World 1.5

My SweetFX & ReShade settings for DCS World 1.2 (outdated )

I have purchased two modules (P51D and A10-C) after following the instructions to activate these I find this. When starting the game a windows pops up with two codes that I'm supposed to enter when the has started. I copied them to the clipboard. After the game now has started I see the A10-C available, but not the P51D. I have tried copy only the P51D code to the clipboard and trying to activate it again at Steam. Still P51D remains unavailable to me in the game ?

doesnt works to me:(

i have ED store Black Shark 1 and Black Shark 2 upgrade keys can not activate via Steam

DCS-10C, DCS UH-1H Huey bought from steam

any idea ?

BS1 and BS2Upgrade do not work on steam.

• Like 1

BS1 and BS2Upgrade do not work on steam.

Actually, it is the BS2 upgrade that does not work on Steam. BS1 (Black Shark) works just fine.