Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

Any idea if the announcement about merging keys to steam means you cannot install modules into your steam DCS World that you bought at ED shop?]

Keys bought from ED, from now on, will not be recognized by Steam.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if a future module you want to fly is not available on steam you need to install everything as DCS World and merge your Steam keys to the ED installation? Brilliant! Need to warn a friend who considered some add ons over Steam....

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

So if a future module you want to fly is not available on steam you need to install everything as DCS World and merge your Steam keys to the ED installation? Brilliant! Need to warn a friend who considered some add ons over Steam....

Until we see a new module offered on Steam (from ED or a third party), I wouldn't plan on it for DCS World.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Realized I still have the Huey and the P-51 keys on Steam from the last summer sale (yeah, I still haven't played them, been flying other things :pilotfly:)

How exactly do I go about registering those keys to my DCS World account? It says in this FAQ to use these keys to authenticate the module, but how? In the module manager, there is only a link to buy the module. There are no buttons anywhere to authenticate keys or register keys that I can see...

Realized I still have the Huey and the P-51 keys on Steam from the last summer sale (yeah, I still haven't played them, been flying other things :pilotfly:)

How exactly do I go about registering those keys to my DCS World account? It says in this FAQ to use these keys to authenticate the module, but how? In the module manager, there is only a link to buy the module. There are no buttons anywhere to authenticate keys or register keys that I can see...

You have to click on 'Activate a Game' at the top of Steam and enter the code in there.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

You have to click on 'Activate a Game' at the top of Steam and enter the code in there.

No, you misunderstood me, sorry. I bought the keys on steam, and I want to activate them in my DCS World game (that is standalone from steam).

I think you can just download and install the modules to DCS World. Then, when you run them for the first time you will be asked for the activation code, use the Steam code there.

I made a thread in the 'payment and activation' forum about this, but it seems like a money grab by Valve to force us to buy stuff from Steam. It just makes me want to use Steam less.

So now since Valve is being pissy about letting us use keys from the ED store, it means I will have (choose) to install DCS world stand alone if I want any future modules. That's because I don't want TWO places to install stuff, and I don't want to have to remember "oops, keys from ED site won't work in Steam."

Way to drive me away from Steam, Valve.

Eagle

Intel i9 9900k | 32 GB RAM | EVGA RTX 2080Ti | 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo

Remember....steam also takes atleast 30% off every purchase. So, ED will only be getting 70%. I think if we want to support ED, we need to stick with DCS shop. I was loving the steam version by using keys from the DCS shop. I guess I am back to the inhouse DCS version.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Oh yes...all my games are on steam. I want them in a common place. But, I would rather give ED 100% of their purchase price rather than pay some middleman.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

No, you misunderstood me, sorry. I bought the keys on steam, and I want to activate them in my DCS World game (that is standalone from steam).

Ah, I'm not sure as I understand that they store the key in the same place in the registry, so if one's activated the other should be too.

In my Module Manager it shows a Serial button next to the modules I've purchased. I guess you might have to download them manually from here http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/modules/

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I find this whole affair extremely disheartening, especially since I have just been forced to adopt the steam install to fix a stability issue I was having (game client on the standalone install would lock up when I tried to log in to MP) and nothing I did to the standalone version could fix it.

There are some Games I'll get/play on Steam, DCS is not one of them.

Ditto. Steam is nice for stand-alones, but DCS world and its module manager is somehow a specialized download platform. It makes more sense to get and launch modules from here. Steam is only a additional (and IMHO unconvenient) layer.

This is big. I much prefer playing games via Steam. Download speeds are one of the main reason. There's no way ED can offer 10mb/s downloads. It used to take forever to patch before Steam.

All it means is you have to buy it from Steam to use it on Steam. However, if future modules are not sold on Steam (which would not surprise me in the least) then you have an issue.

Download speeds from ED arent too bad if you wait till after peak hours on the big updates.

As for Steam...

It's faster than ED (last time I did it I sustained 6mb/sec easily, and bounced up to 11 or so), Compared to 1.4 sustained from ED (after the initial onslaught of users downloading). last time I updated during that onslaught 200Kb/sec was my avg.

But try downloading a 16 GB Tier 1 Title from steam on Release day, it crawls...

Even when I use 2 DOCSIS 3.0 Modems with Bonded Channels Running on Dual/Teamed GBIT LAN,

Outside of DL Speeds, My issue with Steam was simple when I used steam and why I Ultimately chose to discontinue using it...

-Some Licenses Didn't work with Steam or activate right away.

I couldn't use FC3 on my Steam Install when I had it, and I had to wait to activate my new modules on steam, so my opinion was why bother with it and waste another 20+GB for a steam version when I can have everything ready and available immediately in the Standalone versions (Release and Open Beta).

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sorry to be a pain - to confirm...

If you have already purchased DCS World modules (e.g. Flaming Cliffs 3) and these are working through Steam but you NOW try to purchase another module, e.g. A10-C. You cannot now play A10-C module through steam, you would have to separately download DCS world from ED and re-activate previous bought modules?

Correct. Steam will not recognize your newly purchased, from ED, key.

Is there now auto-downloading and activation in DCS standalone? If I reinstall my system, do I not have to download each module from the store and activate them individually any more? If so, I will probably ditch Steam and go back to standalone again, as I assume that ED gets more money if we buy directly from their store.

If not, I'll stick with Steam, as the extremely simple downloading when reinstalling everything is really smooth there.

Is there now auto-downloading and activation in DCS standalone? If I reinstall my system, do I not have to download each module from the store and activate them individually any more? If so, I will probably ditch Steam and go back to standalone again, as I assume that ED gets more money if we buy directly from their store.

If not, I'll stick with Steam, as the extremely simple downloading when reinstalling everything is really smooth there.

What do you mean by auto-download?

The products are linked to your ED login, so when you load the game you go to Modules Manager and it will download your games automatically from there.

Thanks for the reply. With auto-download, I mean that you do no longer have to download the files for every module from the store, and then install them manually from these files. And then also find the activation key from the store and manually copy that.

If this is now all handled from within the standalone application with a login, I guess I will probably go back to that rather than use Steam, since it seems we now have to choose one or the other, rather than having the keys work for both, regardless of where they are bought.

Only first activation requires the key. No separate module downloads, all in DCS.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)