Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

Steam is Terrible

I've only been using Steam a few months and they have been absolutely terrible, nothing but problems. I bought some DCS modules during the Holiday Sale and a couple of other games, but almost every time I try to play games there, the "servers are too busy" or there is a network issue. Since I installed DCS at Steam in November, I have only been able to connect to DCS World one time. I don't even know if the $120 I spent on modules have even been installed there.

It's not only DCS, I bought a couple other games during the sale and the servers are rarely working. It seems the only servers that work on a semi regular basis are the Counter Strike games.

If I did not have a standalone version of DCS World, I would never be able to play the sim. Steam really blows.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use steam keys on DCS : world if I remember correctly :)

That's correct. The sales here on the DCS website are better than the Steam sales, I found that out the hard way.

A standalone installation of DCS World works much better than a Steam install. The Steam DCS page is way out of date, there are no Steam achievements or benefits.

If you have a DCS install on your computer, it runs better. If you want the latest news, updates and the best sale deals on modules, it's right here.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

• 2 weeks later...
That's correct. The sales here on the DCS website are better than the Steam sales, I found that out the hard way.

A standalone installation of DCS World works much better than a Steam install. The Steam DCS page is way out of date, there are no Steam achievements or benefits.

If you have a DCS install on your computer, it runs better. If you want the latest news, updates and the best sale deals on modules, it's right here.

Stop trying to say this as if it's fact. Steam works objectively the same as standalone. There aren't any major cons/pros that are balanced out unmatched with standalone, and the same vice-versa.

Also, pointing out once again, that installing Store Modules to Steam DCS is entirely possible, and works, but is unsupported by ED, since they can't be bothered.

If you wish to install store modules into Steam, PM me, and I'll help you through it.

Edited by IvanTehFennec

Fact is: installing modules manually into a Steam install is neither supported nor intended by ED, so it might break your install.

Steam releases of titles are late compared to DCS standalone. I don't know about a "rollback" to a previous version for Steam, but in DCS it is possible through the Updater, so you can go back to an earlier DCS World version, e.g. the last update introduced a game breaking bug (add.coalition.group causes a crash, basically any spawn in MP servers make it crash).

Apart from that it "just" misses the module manager, that in standalone is handling the module installations...

So it does not seem to be all the same?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Fact is: installing modules manually into a Steam install is neither supported nor intended by ED, so it might break your install.

Steam releases of titles are late compared to DCS standalone. I don't know about a "rollback" to a previous version for Steam, but in DCS it is possible through the Updater, so you can go back to an earlier DCS World version, e.g. the last update introduced a game breaking bug (add.coalition.group causes a crash, basically any spawn in MP servers make it crash).

Apart from that it "just" misses the module manager, that in standalone is handling the module installations...

Oh boy, Shagrat is back with more wrong "facts".

True. However, with careful upkeep, you can prevent it 99% of the time.

Steam releases of titles are late compared to DCS standalone.

True, but negated by the fact you can just install the Store versions just fine. I still do it to this day.

I don't know about a "rollback" to a previous version for Steam, but in DCS it is possible through the Updater, so you can go back to an earlier DCS World version, e.g. the last update introduced a game breaking bug (add.coalition.group causes a crash, basically any spawn in MP servers make it crash).

Surprise! You can use the DCS Updater for Steam, too, and Steam doesn't know anything's wrong. You can also set Steam to not auto-update, so you can ensure that it's not a broken one.

You can enable the Module Manager on Steam, too.

Yes.

What I don't get is: why then for gods sake isn't steam just installing the module manager, updater and the store modules, but make people mess with their install and tweak and twist them in manually?

I don't say it is not 'possible' to tweak a software in a way you want it, just with the effort and tweaks it takes I ask myself what the benefit compared to the DCS install is?

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

First of all Valve (the company that runs the Steam service) has nothing to do with the games themselves, or their functions. That is all up to ED. And ED of course prefer that people use the stand alone version of DCS World. That way, they get to keep more of the money from the sales. Valve takes 30 % of the sales price on Steam.

The Steam version is just there so that new people will hopefully discover and get into DCS, people that would never get the game if it was not available on Steam. But ED:s preference is that as many people as possible will use their store instead, therefore they will delay the releases on Steam, not make Beta versions available there, etc., to make people switch to the stand alone version.

As long as there is both Steam and stand alone, the stand alone will always get preferential treatment. I also play Arma, and it was the same with Arma 2, patches and releases were always delayed on Steam compared to the stand alone version (but now Arma 3 is Steam only).

Edited by JS

First of all Valve (the company that runs the Steam service) has nothing to do with the games themselves, or their functions. That is all up to ED. And ED of course prefer that people use the stand alone version of DCS World. That way, they get to keep more of the money from the sales. Valve takes 30 % of the sales price on Steam.

The Steam version is just there so that new people will hopefully discover and get into DCS, people that would never get the game if it was not available on Steam. But ED:s preference is that as many people as possible will use their store instead, therefore they will delay the releases on Steam, not make Beta versions available there, etc., to make people switch to the stand alone version.

As long as there is both a Steam and stand alone, the stand alone will always get preferential treatment. I also play Arma, and it was the same with Arma 2, patches and releases were always delayed on Steam compared to the stand alone version (but now Arma 3 is Steam only).

What I read was that at 'release' the installer is dished out to Valve in parallel, no "delaying" by Eagle Dynamics there, it seems. Publishers have their own processes.

I'm not sure Steam even participates in Beta presales of modules, which is where most people ask "When will it be on Steam".

I'm quite sure Valve would have terms in the contract with ED that forbids the Module Manager and/or updater to be integrated as concurring installer and shop to Steam... it is logical and normal business practice.

I agree that Steam helps pointing people to DCS and bolstering the user base though. Which is a good thing...

Shagrat

Yes...when you read the forums you could know, but not vice versa. So i wait for the new planes.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Sorry to jump in but is it possible to use the keys I purchased on Steam with an ED install?

Yes. Steam keys can be registered on the Eagle Dynamics website, then used with the standalone DCS world install. But NOT the other way round! You can try twisting the downloadable module installers into Steam according to some posts here and tweak the authorization to use the module manager, but this is neither supported by Eagle Dynamics nor Valve (Steam)... do so at your own risk.

Shagrat

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks

It's clear I can leave STEAM behind.

Do I have to go after a fresh installation to get a DCS Standalone One downloading all files from DCS site or may I copy paste DCW World folder from STEAM directory to a new folder.

Yes you can leave steam behind, your life will be much happier and easier that way :thumbup:

If you copy and paste the folder from steam you may get an exe problem, not sure about that though.

Edited by sobek

Thanks

It's clear I can leave STEAM behind.

Do I have to go after a fresh installation to get a DCS Standalone One downloading all files from DCS site or may I copy paste DCW World folder from STEAM directory to a new folder.

If you're just going to do a full straight store install, it wouldn't be the best idea to copy all the files, but it will work. The only major thing you'll need to change is in your DCS/config folder, open retail.cfg and change the word STEAM to STORE, all caps. This will enable use of the module manager. You'll then want to repair the whole installation with the DCS Updater to ensure its up to store standards.

Edited by sobek

• 2 weeks later...

Question here. When I activated F-15c using key bought from E-shop on steam, steam gave

me a completely different key. The license page on ED indicated the key is bound to no one. Does that mean I got a completely new key for free?

Same thing happened to my Huey key. Is it normal?

activate DCS world modules with Steam keys?

Is it possible to activate my modules that I bought on Steam in the stand alone DCS World or will I have to re-buy them? I know that I can't activate the products on Steam if I buy the keys from the DCS store, but I can't find an answer if the opposite works. I remember reading comments that implied that I could. I looked in DCS World and didn't see anywhere I could enter my keys.

Is it possible to activate my modules that I bought on Steam in the stand alone DCS World or will I have to re-buy them? I know that I can't activate the products on Steam if I buy the keys from the DCS store, but I can't find an answer if the opposite works. I remember reading comments that implied that I could. I looked in DCS World and didn't see anywhere I could enter my keys.

Yes i did. I am totally over to ED. I had 7 modules bought in steam. They all went over to ED fine.:thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry in advance if this question has already been asked, but is it possible to play multiplayer on the standalone version with people who only own the steam version?

yes.

the only difference between ED Distribution and Steam Distribution is the Sources for Downloads (Updates and Initial Installs of both the main Application and Moduiles), and File Verification (DCS Updater vs Steam File Verif.)

outside of that. the MP servers and GUI are identical.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

yes.

the only difference between ED Distribution and Steam Distribution is the Sources for Downloads (Updates and Initial Installs of both the main Application and Moduiles), and File Verification (DCS Updater vs Steam File Verif.)

outside of that. the MP servers and GUI are identical.

how about modding?i heard everyone here prefer the DCS regular version for modding,not the Steam ver,is that right?

Feel the Rush of Superior Air Power

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

how about modding?i heard everyone here prefer the DCS regular version for modding,not the Steam ver,is that right?

Base folder is the only difference, Modding should be un affected.

ED Distribution is /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World.

Steam Distribution is /Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/DCS World/

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs