Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will the nttr map and new campaigns come to steam

Any idea when the NTTR map and new campaigns will come to steam? I currently have everything on steam and according to my understanding if I repurchase the map now I won't be able to use it via steam. The only reason I want to keep steam version is because I feel I have already paid extra for the simplicity of auto updating, fast downloads, and a simple install. Can anybody give me some ideas why it would be better to switch from steam? Or maybe it will come out on steam at release... Thanks

• ED Team
Any idea when the NTTR map and new campaigns will come to steam? I currently have everything on steam and according to my understanding if I repurchase the map now I won't be able to use it via steam. The only reason I want to keep steam version is because I feel I have already paid extra for the simplicity of auto updating, fast downloads, and a simple install. Can anybody give me some ideas why it would be better to switch from steam? Or maybe it will come out on steam at release... Thanks

The standalone has an auto-updater, you will have access to early access, pre-purchases, downloads to the standalone have been much improved. Steam releases and sales always trail behind the ED Store, or at least generally do.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

As I've stated, you can use Store modules on Steam just fine. You can pre-order NTTR on ED's Shop, and at release, use it with the Steam version. I can and will provide support if you so choose to go down this route.

Can I Switch Over to Steam When DCS 1.5 Comes Out?

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it. If I've installed DCS from here and bought all my modules on this site as well, will I be able to transfer all of my products over to Steam version when version 1.5 comes out? I currently own the A-10C, F-15, Ka-50, UH-1, MiG-21, and FW-190.

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it. If I've installed DCS from here and bought all my modules on this site as well, will I be able to transfer all of my products over to Steam version when version 1.5 comes out?

Not without modifying the sim in a manner that is not supported by either Steam or ED.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As I've stated, you can use Store modules on Steam just fine. You can pre-order NTTR on ED's Shop, and at release, use it with the Steam version. I can and will provide support if you so choose to go down this route.

Just for the record, this is incorrect. You cannot use modules purchased through the ED store on Steam, as Steam does not allow you to import your license keys anymore. This is on Steam's end, not Eagle Dynamics. You can, however, go from Steam to Standalone quite easily by binding the Steam license keys to your Eagle Dynamics website account.

Please do not buy the NTTR Map on the Eagle Dynamics store and try to import it into Steam - this will never work. The better route is to download the open beta from the Eagle Dynamics website (it's free, so there is literally no downside to downloading it to try importing your Steam modules into it - also you have release version already through Steam) and after you get everything working standalone simply pre-purchase NTTR from the store.

By sometime on or around the end of September, v1.5 will auto-update into the Beta version that you got working standalone and you'll get to experience the new engine. Sometime in November the NTTR will be released, the Beta version will update to v2.0, and you will get to experience everything.

Then, you can delete the Steam version and add the Beta (standalone) version as a non-Steam game. Once v1.5/2.0 hit, it should be a single executable and Steam will accurately track when you're playing DCS World.

:pilotfly::joystick:

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

I'm unsure if this has been asked before. If it wasn't, could be useful adding it to the FAQ.

I pre-ordered DCS: Warthog back in october 2010 and, therefore, will get the NTTR map for free. However, I'd like to know if it'll be possible to register/have it delivered on steam when it's available there, as I prefer using it to keep my gaming library organized.

I'm unsure if this has been asked before. If it wasn't, could be useful adding it to the FAQ.

I pre-ordered DCS: Warthog back in october 2010 and, therefore, will get the NTTR map for free. However, I'd like to know if it'll be possible to register/have it delivered on steam when it's available there, as I prefer using it to keep my gaming library organized.

ED has no way to procure a Steam key for you.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There is no way to transfer ED products from standalone to Steam. Steam will not allow it. That being said, you can always add the standalone executable as a non-Steam game... and Steam will treat it like a Valve hosted product.

It is very likely you will need to install standalone anyways in order to access your free NTTR map, but this is speculation on my part due to the fact that Steam no longer accepts product keys to import Eagle Dynamics products.

Edited by Psyrixx

Well a lot of things may "work" for now... Nobody doubts it is possible to mix and tweak files, reg-entries or it may simply work out of the box, without changing a thing.

Officially, though, ED Store keys do NOT support Steam activations.

So if some day in the future Steam decides to verify keys in a matter that breaks your install, or you lose activations or whatever might happen, you need to be aware it is very likely neither Valve nor ED can give you any support to fix your problem!

Basically, you can do what you want with your install, but do so at your own risk.

As stated multiple times, the officially supported ways are: download DCS World standalone (or openbeta if you need immediate access to NTTR) and import your Steam Keys into EDs Database through their StoreSite, or use Steam, buy all keys from Steam Store and wait until products are available for Steam, officially.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If I may say so, it seems like a lot of effort for something that can be achieved much simpler:

Recipe for importing DCS World Stand-alone into Steam:

1. Download and install DCS World stand-alone.
  2. Go into Steam > Games and choose "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library..".
  3. Browse for DCS World and set the ticker for it.
  4. Click "Add selected programs".

DCS Stand-alone is now in your Steam Games library, and you can use it along with your other Steam games.

It also has all the functions from Steam:

• Steam overlay in-game
  • Chat function
  • Stream function
  • Other people can see when you play
  • Screenshot function
  • etc..

When you start DCS, it will invoke the DCS updater, and check whether your game is up to date.

If you want a Desktop shortcut that starts DCS World with Steam functions, you go into your Steam games Library, right-click DCS World and choose "Create Desktop Shortcut".

You now have a DCS World stand-alone set-up, that basically works like it was a Steam game.

Only difference is, that it does not update in the background.

But as you see above: As soon as you have non-Steam modules, you will have to update manually anyway..

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

no, I think il be sticking with steam. since I first started with the steam version to begin with.

standalone has 7 separate install files? slower downloads, that could potentially interrrupt? no thanks.

Steam installs everything for you, faster downloads, and auto updates.

if ED isn't willing to properly support the steam version , Ie allow pre prders, and release new content/ updates at the same time as their own Standalone release, then they might as well not have bothered with the steam version, and not have it available through there.

this doesn't seem to be an issue with any other developer releasing their games on steam, and managing to have new content/ updates coincide with retail or thier own e shop.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

if ED isn't willing to properly support the steam version , Ie allow pre prders, and release new content/ updates at the same time as their own Standalone release, then they might as well not have bothered with the steam version, and not have it available through there.

this doesn't seem to be an issue with any other developer releasing their games on steam, and managing to have new content/ updates coincide with retail or thier own e shop.

May be ED isn't willing to delay their shop releases and wait for Valve to have it in their SteamShop? Or there are terms from Valve that ED can't agree on, or Valve does not accept pre-orders from ED and so on and so forth... Yes, these are ALL wild guesses! ...but until someone official from either Valve or ED isn't telling us, why we don't have Steam and ED releases in sync, I would be careful to dismiss it simply as ED "fault". :huh:

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

, I would be careful to dismiss it simply as ED "fault". :huh:

yes its speculation, why or whos fault it is, but I thought it could be ED, because from my experience no other developer has the issue of releasing their own retails or E shop in sync with steam release.

this observation goes for Indie devs with smaller teams and smaller budgets, not just for aaa behemoths.

Interesting why neither sides have come up with an official statement regarding this.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

standalone has 7 separate install files? slower downloads, that could potentially interrrupt? no thanks.

How about BitTorrent, then?

I agree that Steam seems to have invested quite a bit in a good Content Delivery Network, as I usually get very decent download rates. At times, downloads slow down to a crawl, though. The only alternative that almost always yields even better results is BitTorrent - and ED offers DCS World as BitTorrent download (the modules as well).

Steam installs everything for you, faster downloads, and auto updates.

DCS comes with an auto updater of its own (and believe me, I remember the times before that. The updater is an omnipotent-being-of-your-choice-send :thumbup:!).

Updates usually install quite quickly here, so I see no reason to complain.

After all, it's your choice, and I don't mean to discourage anyone from using Steam. I just find it peculiar that you list several terminal downsides that DCS on Steam suffers from in your opinion -- and then say that you'll stick with it regardless. :smartass:

Snip

:

Fair enough you convinced me.:thumbup:

I downloaded standalone Dcs, but the only modules it detects are ED modules.

It doesn't seem to detect 3rd Party, It seems to want to make me buy non ED products again?

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Fair enough you convinced me.:thumbup:

I downloaded standalone Dcs, but the only modules it detects are ED modules.

It doesn't seem to detect 3rd Party, It seems to want to make me buy non ED products again?

Set up an account on dcs-world.com

Register your Steam license keys to your dcs-world.com user account

Use module manager to download all of your modules directly into DCS World standalone

:-)

Set up an account on dcs-world.com

Register your Steam license keys to your dcs-world.com user account

Use module manager to download all of your modules directly into DCS World standalone

:-)

On my own, I got around this by downloading the modules individually via torrent, then installing them, funny enough it didn't ask me to authenticate.

was able to hop into both multiplayer and single player, without it asking me for the serial.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

On my own, I got around this by downloading the modules individually via torrent, then installing them, funny enough it didn't ask me to authenticate.

was able to hop into both multiplayer and single player, without it asking me for the serial.

Serial Keys might be recognized from the registry.

Still you should verify in both the Module Manager and your shop account on http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

(The account you use to log into multiplayer) if the serials are registered!

If they do not show in the ED account, they are still bound to the Steam library, which is no problem, but could become an issue when setting up a new PC or de/reactivation when changing hardware.

Have in mind, that the key is bound to a hash code generated from your PCs unique hardware.

The Protection checks if your key and hash matches the database information.

Shagrat

Serial Keys might be recognized from the registry.

Still you should verify in both the Module Manager and your shop account on http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

(The account you use to log into multiplayer) if the serials are registered!

If they do not show in the ED account, they are still bound to the Steam library, which is no problem, but could become an issue when setting up a new PC or de/reactivation when changing hardware.

Have in mind, that the key is bound to a hash code generated from your PCs unique hardware.

The Protection checks if your key and hash matches the database information.

Yes that must of been it. Recognized from the Registry.

In the module manager. Serial keys have checkmarks, and are filled out, So I guess its all good.

thanks for the help!

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Hi Flycat!

Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I want. Multiplayer I don't care about.

I don't enjoy getting abused by super-l33t dudes with cat-like reflexes. Right now the AI offers more than enough challange for me.

Could you point me to the dialog where I can set this up? Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, Flycat is mistaken. There is no setting in the Steam client software to prevent a game from updating. It's only possible to choose when a game updates - either as soon as the update becomes available, or not until the next launch of the game.

The only method to prevent Steam updating a game is to launch Steam in offline mode. So, if you select "Only update this game when I launch it" for DCS World, and only launch DCS World when Steam is in offline mode, you should be good.

To do this, from your Steam library screen, right-click on DCS World and select properties. Then click on the updates tab. At the top of this page in the Automatic updates section, click the drop arrow beside "Always keep this game up to date" and select "Only update this game when I launch it" from the list.

Just remember never to launch DCSW when Steam is online. :)

Unfortunately, Flycat is mistaken. There is no setting in the Steam client software to prevent a game from updating. It's only possible to choose when a game updates - either as soon as the update becomes available, or not until the next launch of the game.

The only method to prevent Steam updating a game is to launch Steam in offline mode. So, if you select "Only update this game when I launch it" for DCS World, and only launch DCS World when Steam is in offline mode, you should be good.

To do this, from your Steam library screen, right-click on DCS World and select properties. Then click on the updates tab. At the top of this page in the Automatic updates section, click the drop arrow beside "Always keep this game up to date" and select "Only update this game when I launch it" from the list.

Just remember never to launch DCSW when Steam is online. :)

There is a per game setting, right click DCS, Properties, Updates tab, choose "DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THIS GAME"

Which is supposed to stop updates until you choose.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There is a per game setting, right click DCS, Properties, Updates tab, choose "DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THIS GAME"

Which is supposed to stop updates until you choose.

I don't have such an option for any of my games in Steam?

Is this a special option for DCS World?

For my games I only have the following:

• Always keep this game up to date
  • Only update this game when I launch it
  • High priority - Always update this game before others

(I'm handicapped by not having the actual Steam version of DCS World. I abandoned that long time ago.)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use