Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

Maybe we should then just conclude this thread with "Steam is just great" and finally go on with our lifes.

Could a mod please close this ... thread?

Agreed! Far too many important things than internet-kindergarden in my life...

@ Fearlessfrog - contradicted how? Just because my direct experiences differ from yours, it does by no means mean your experience is "right" or mine "wrong"...or vice versa for that matter.

As for going crazy...you went berzerk and cried "stop misquoting me" as you were to agitated to just read the QUOTE from Tasselhof I put in that post...

And yes, I do call people fanboys who simply talk like : <argument1> - Wrong <argument 2> - Wrong etc. ...or do you guys (not quoting an individual here) consider that a reasonable discussion? :huh:

Anyway, Steam is ok, if it works for you by twisting the install into submission it's fine with me. Hope you won't run into trouble later. (I really mean it, no trolling or sarcasm).

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You responded in a Steam thread with lots of incorrect information, I'm not sure how you can deny that. It's not really a case of being a fan or not, but of helping people with correct info. I'm far from agitated or berzerk(?), just more bemused. :)

DCS sells really well through the Steam store, and that helps make new toys for us all. If you don't want people to use it, that's fine, but saying things like it doesn't allow betas or has updates that are always later is not accurate info.

As for 'twisting' being 'install a module', well, since I don't think people should do that anyway, it's not worth correcting you one final time.

Agreed! Far too many important things than internet-kindergarden in my life...

@ Fearlessfrog - contradicted how? Just because my direct experiences differ from yours, it does by no means mean your experience is "right" or mine "wrong"...or vice versa for that matter.

As for going crazy...you went berzerk and cried "stop misquoting me" as you were to agitated to just read the QUOTE from Tasselhof I put in that post...

And yes, I do call people fanboys who simply talk like : <argument1> - Wrong <argument 2> - Wrong etc. ...or do you guys (not quoting an individual here) consider that a reasonable discussion? :huh:

Anyway, Steam is ok, if it works for you by twisting the install into submission it's fine with me. Hope you won't run into trouble later. (I really mean it, no trolling or sarcasm).

No worries DRF - I remember you from the Steam forums, and you're welcome and enjoy the MiG. :)

Thanks for your suggestions fearless frog. You have helped me before with steam DCS.

Sorry I didn't see this thread since I made it. The problem I had was that when the Mig21bis came out I wanted it now! The steam release was two weeks later! So I bought it through DCS store and just unzipped into the steam folder....

It did work like this and I got to fly it straight away but then steam doesn't update it because steam doesn't know it is there. Infact the second update rendered it unusable. Trying to fly it would mean CTD. I didn't know I could use the DCS updater although I did wonder if that would work...

The best thing about steam is that I have many friends on steam and when I log on I see straight away if any of them are playing games I have. So maybe my friend is playing DCS single player and I see this and invite him to DCS multiplayer. We both are better off . Standalone DCS doesn't give this community stuff.

I was also reluctant to "unsteam" because I thought I would have to set up everything again. But all my settings were rolled over and so were my module licences. It was very easy and now I can buy modules when they are on sale through DCS store.

I guess, some the posts were a bit fruity (not mine, naturellement), but bear in mind I am visiting from a forum combat area where live fire is an occupational hazard :)

The key thing is to separate out the 'Steam is a big bad company and reads my dreams' conspiracy stuff with the 'DCS can't do these things on Steam' stuff. It's worth correcting the misinformation as it has a habit of being blindly repeated out of habit. These are things that are not a matter of opinion, they are simple testable facts.

I keep reading many references to stuff like 'Steam gets fixes much later' when that's not been true for over a year now (maybe two, I'd have to look up the date). Sometimes people just go 'oh, I didn't know that' but sometimes they just go down the 'Yeah, yeah, but Steam are all EVIL!' path that is abstract enough not to bother arguing about. You can ask for evidence of various evil activities, but it always ends up as 'a friend told me' or just foamy mouth replies that boil down to opinion. I have good friends that work at Valve, so while mildly annoying, it doesn't really bother me and is up there with hoax moon landings and the like. The accuracy of the Steam DCS info is what's important.

Maybe we should then just conclude this thread with "Steam is just great" and finally go on with our lifes.

Could a mod please close this ... thread?

DCS world on steam, using non-steam modules

Ok, so I understand that valve have closed the door on using keys bough here to register on steam.

But does this mean I can't use modules bought here in the steam version of DCS world at all?

I don't care if I don't show the modules in my steam games list, or whatever, but I am looking at this sale and a couple of modules I REALLY want. But I use steam.

Please tell me there is some kind of workaround

• 2 weeks later...

Using Store Modules on Steam DCS: The Guide

Installing Store Modules onto Steam DCS

Guide last updated 12/06/2014

Hello! I am Ivan, and I'm here to tell you how to install those pesky ED Store modules

onto your Steam version of DCS:W!

DO NOT GO RUNNING TO ED IF YOU MANAGE TO SCREW THIS UP. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU.

This is all from what I've personally run into so far. I will make as much as an effort as I can, so far as going one-on-one, to help resolve any issues that may arise during various installations. I am still learning from this, and thus, am learning through each error. Through time, we can and will compile all the many issues that can arise, and we will conquer them.

First, we'll move to the Prerequisites

1.) You'll need to be on the Open-Beta branch of the Steam Version of DCS:W

2.) You'll need to download the latest DCS OpenBeta Updater, Here.

3.) You'll need an installer for a STORE module that you purchased from the STORE.

Now, let's get to the basics:

The Setup

First, you need to run the Installer for the DCS OpenBeta Updater from the ED STORE, and install it to it's own location, seperate from the Steam version. Make sure it fully installs, and let it start to download. The first thing the updater will do is Update itself, by downloading the latest updater. Once it's done, and attempts to download a 15gb+ Patch, press CANCEL, and close the updater.

Second, navigate to the location of the Updater (C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin by default) and copy the DCS_Updater.exe over to your Steam version of DCS World C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\DCSWorld\bin), and place it there.

Third: Run the updater, and allow it to download the latest version info file. This file is generally downloaded first, and is clearly stated that it's being downloaded by the updater. Instead of attempting to download a large patch, what it'll do is start searching for already installed files. Once it begins this, cancel and close the updater.

The Installation

Now, you are fully equipped, and ready, for an installation of a Store Module to Steam!

Here goes!

First, take your installer for your aircraft (I'll be using MiG-21bis as an example), and run it. When it asks where to be installed, navigate it to your DCSWorld main folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\DCSWorld by default), and press 'Next'.

Second: Watch it install! Excitement! Joy!

Third: After installation, go into the DCSWorld\bin folder and run the DCS_Updater once again. It may or may not re-download the version info file. If it doesn't, and continues to search for installed files, cancel and close.

Fourth: Open DCS World through Steam. If you've followed the steps correctly, it should open just fine. It may ask for your key for the aircraft at this point, or you may have to open an 'Instant Action' mission for it to pop the activation window. If neither of those things occur, and you load into a blank cockpit, you'll have to manually activate it by going to DCSWorld\Mods\Aircraft\XXXXX\bin, (replacing XXXXX with the aircraft's name) and run protect.exe as an administrator. From there, you must press 'Next' to enter your key, and activate it.

If it starts up, and is flyable, congratulations! You're not done yet!

Just to ensure stability, run each aircraft that you own through STEAM by flying an Instant Action mission. All you need to do is load each one to ensure that it is still activated. If it's not, you may need to manually re-activate it, but instead of pressing 'Next', you press 'I already have an activation key', and it should re-activate without using any of your licenses.

Updating

Whenever an update ships onto the Steam version of DCS, simply run DCS_Updater.exe again, and let it download the latest version info file, then close it.

TROUBLESHOOTING

This section may grow as problems arise. Proceed with Caution.

Problem: The Aircraft I installed doesn't show up in the 'Instant Action' menu!

Probable Solution: Go into your Steam installation of DCSWorld, and check the \bin folder for a folder called 'Mods', or 'Aircraft'. If those are present, simply open them until you've found the folder with your aircraft's name, and copy/paste that folder directly into the DCSWorld\Mods\Aircraft folder.

Edited by IvanTehFennec
Forums ate my formatting

Awesome find. I got Mig 21 on ED's site but use the steam version of DCS. SO i was waiting to re-buy it on steam at a sale. This saves me the trouble. Will check it out. Thanks :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

DCS Standalone vs DCS on Steam

Hi all,

I've currently got DCS World on Steam with a few modules. I'm debating if it's worth moving over to the standalone or not.

I'm planning on modding DCS and as JSGME suggests to disable all mods before updating using the standalone makes more sense (unless I disable auto downloads on steam I guess).

What are peoples opinions or does it just come down to personal preference?

Thanks

Personal preference really. I was on steam DCS, then back to standalone then back to steam again and now waiting to buy the WWII modules on steam for this christmas. I like the unified interface with a record of how many hours I wasted on games in my life and a central place for all my screenshots. :p

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I started out with DCS on Steam but after switching to standalone I see no benefit to using the Steam version other than having it keep track of your hours.

Standalone is more reliable, only one layer of DRM vs two, you get updates quicker, have easier access to beta modules (MiG-21 came out 2 weeks standalone before Steam), and you don't have to worry about Steam mucking with your DCS folder.

I use Steam for most games but DCS is standalone because it allows me to maintain multiple versions at the same time.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC, you can run the Open Beta on Steam, losing your non-Beta install in the process, by going to the Beta tab of the Properties window for the game in your Steam library and check the 'Participate in Beta' box (or something like that).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't know what the Steam variant of the Open Beta is setup to do but the non-Steam version creates a separate Saved Games sub-folder (DCS.openbeta). It won't delete your original Saved Games\DCS folder though, so your campaign progress won't be lost and should be transferable into the new Saved Games folder (if one is created).

Steam vs DCS store

So far I've been buying my DCS modules on steam. It has come to my attention that there is a disconnect between the DCS store and steam sales of the modules. I can see that the DCS store has stuff earlier than steam which makes me want to pre-purchase modules. What I'm concerned about is if I would be able to use that module when I launch the sim from steam, and if I buy a module from the DCS store, will it not appear in my steam library? Could I download a module and activate it via steam?

How does this work?

The way I see it, I'm just going to have to wait for the good stuff to come over to steam, however long that takes.