Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

Sadly they changed it so that modules bought from ED store can't be activated in steam. You can activate modules that you bought in steam in the non-steam version though.

I started in Steam as well but moved over to ED store version because it became apparent that there was a huge delay in releasing modules over steam, lack of beta access to modules, lack of preorder capability and generally much higher prices.

Core i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz

MSI Z97-G43 Gaming

8 Gb DDR 3

ASUS R9 280X 3 gb Crossfire

Track IR 5

Hotas Warthog

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlink DCS World install from Steam without reinstalling ?

Hello everyone,

I have an install of DCS World on Steam with Black Shark and FC3.

I was thinking about buying a new module during the sales, but I noticed that because of currency conversion the official ED sales are much cheaper than the Steam ones.

Now, I have heard that you could migrate from Steam to ED without losing your products. My question is : Can you do so without uninstalling and reinstalling DCS World ? My internet connection is in a bad mood and downloading everything again would take days.

Thanks in advance !

You will need to re install the standalone version.

not sure what you mean about currency , in steam you should be able to chose your currency.

if its region locked (like EA does with origin) you can use free VPN`s like Hola etc to give you ip you want.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You will need to re install the standalone version.

not sure what you mean about currency , in steam you should be able to chose your currency.

If its region locked (like EA does with origin) you can use free VPN`s like Hola etc to give you ip you want.

Ah, I'll just try downloading it again then.

What I meant by currency is that the ED store allows me to pay in dollars, while Steam converts into euros at the wrong rate, which means the MiG-21, for example, is 5€ more expensive on Steam than on ED. And using a VPN to pay in dollars would get me banned from Steam

I have a Steam version and a standalone version on my computer. I really don't trust Steam. I think the user files from Steam and the standalone install are saved to the same folders.

You can go to your Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld folder and click "Run.exe". If that works, copy the DCSWorld folder to a different location and see it it works.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

You can go to your Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld folder and click "Run.exe". If that works, copy the DCSWorld folder to a different location and see it it works.

Even if that works, you will still need to do a full standalone install at some point since you will not be able to run updates or use the Module Manager.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There!

I have a problem:

I can not activate a product _bought on Steam_ into stand alone DCS, namely the MiG-21.

I have Steam DCS aswell, with modules: Mi-8, A-10c, MiG-21.

Looking at this nice 80% off sale, I tought it is a good idea to install DCS stand alone, Mi-8 and A10c got found and installed by module manager properly, but MiG-21 wasn't.

*Note: After steam purchase Mi8 and A10 modules asked for activation, MiG 21 was not if I remember correctly.

Please help me

If the problem is just that the Module Manager can't find Mig-21, just download the install file from the DCS page, and run it. It should now be installed, so that you can activate it in DCS World.

• Like 1

If the problem is just that the Module Manager can't find Mig-21, just download the install file from the DCS page, and run it. It should now be installed, so that you can activate it in DCS World.

Thanks for such a fast reply! Wonder if I should let steam run during the process, or it doesn't matter at all? (I just really don't want to mess it up)

Sadly they changed it so that modules bought from ED store can't be activated in steam. You can activate modules that you bought in steam in the non-steam version though.

I started in Steam as well but moved over to ED store version because it became apparent that there was a huge delay in releasing modules over steam, lack of beta access to modules, lack of preorder capability and generally much higher prices.

Just pointing out, that Steam was the one that changed this.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for such a fast reply! Wonder if I should let steam run during the process, or it doesn't matter at all? (I just really don't want to mess it up)

I don't think Steam will matter at all in this case. The module just needs to be installed and then activated in stand alone DCS World.

I suggest you bind them to your DCS account so the module manager in standalone version will autodetect and install them.

I am in the process of "Unsteaming DCS" right now... Could you please tell me how you bind keys to your account?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am in the process of "Unsteaming DCS" right now... Could you please tell me how you bind keys to your account?

Login on Digital Combat Simulator website http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

Then you'll see, on your left side of the screen, the section: Personal Section. Click on it, then go to Licensing. Place your module key on the blank space and hit "Request Information".

You'll be greeted by a lot of information about the Key you just typed and on the top it will be a option to bind the key to the following account name. BIND TO EXACTLY THE NAME OF YOUR LOGIN/ACCOUNT ON THE DCS WEBSITE, NOT THE FORUMS ONE.

That account name and password you can log in on the Module Manager on the game and install your modules.

I've done it with all my steam purchased keys so far, without problems. Good Luck! :thumbup:

Login on Digital Combat Simulator website http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

Then you'll see, on your left side of the screen, the section: Personal Section. Click on it, then go to Licensing. Place your module key on the blank space and hit "Request Information".

You'll be greeted by a lot of information about the Key you just typed and on the top it will be a option to bind the key to the following account name. BIND TO EXACTLY THE NAME OF YOUR LOGIN/ACCOUNT ON THE DCS WEBSITE, NOT THE FORUMS ONE.

That account name and password you can log in on the Module Manager on the game and install your modules.

I've done it with all my steam purchased keys so far, without problems. Good Luck! :thumbup:

Alright thanks a lot for the help! For some reason some keys were already bound to my account but a few weren't.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alright thanks a lot for the help! For some reason some keys were already bound to my account but a few weren't.

I'm glad to help. That might be the case with the keys you purchase directly from the website with few exceptions. I remember this occurring to me too with the Mi-8 and Huey modules purchased from the website. I don't know why.

Good Flying on the unsteamed! :thumbup:

Hi All,

Can anyone explain why the modules Mig 15 and Hawk not available on steam????

The new campain Su-27 The Ultimate Argument Campaign is available.....

It's not synchron with the DCS shop. I want to fly the new planes, but the keys from steam can be used with the software from DCS website but not vice versa that's why i wait for the purchase from steam.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Every third party developer decides for himself if, and when he releases his modules on steam. Hawk is planned for Steam, after Release (currently in Beta), Mig-15 I'm not even sure is in DCS yet. Was a pre purchase.

If you want to fly new planes in Beta etc. switch to DCS standalone.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Allright thank you for your fast reply. Your answer make sense...:thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

There is also always going to be delays before products appear on Steam, as long as there is a stand alone version available too. Stand alone means more money directly to the developer, so they of course want as many people as possible to not wait for the Steam release, but to buy directly from their store.

If the keys are useable for steam i am in.....but fortunaly it aint anymore since last year!