Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

I'm a DCS Steam user, and for the first time I decided to install the standalone version to try the new 2.5 update.

I'm trying to activate my FC3 and A-10C modules, but I can't find how. Through the website it's not working and I can't find the module manager.

So, what are exactly the steps to activate the Steam keys?

Thx!

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a DCS Steam user, and for the first time I decided to install the standalone version to try the new 2.5 update.

I'm trying to activate my FC3 and A-10C modules, but I can't find how. Through the website it's not working and I can't find the module manager.

So, what are exactly the steps to activate the Steam keys?

Thx!

Goto:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

Login

goto your profile and find the "Licence Check" box in the bottom left.

Should get you started with the transfer.

Goto:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

Login

goto your profile and find the "Licence Check" box in the bottom left.

Should get you started with the transfer.

Yeah, done that, but I guess they're already bound to my account, but still I don't know how to activate then/download or something. I log in DCS with my account and there's no module manager, no option to download, and if I click on the module button on the home screen on the DCS it shows only the option to buy the module.

This is confusing. Either I'm missing something, or is some kind of open beta issue/bug, or it can't be activated anymore (?)

Edit: I'm trying to install both modules using the "DCS_update.exe install" command line.

Edit 2: Apparently it worked!

Edited by wedge_one

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

Yeah, done that, but I guess they're already bound to my account, but still I don't know how to activate then/download or something. I log in DCS with my account and there's no module manager, no option to download, and if I click on the module button on the home screen on the DCS it shows only the option to buy the module.

This is confusing. Either I'm missing something, or is some kind of open beta issue/bug, or it can't be activated anymore (?)

Edit: I'm trying to install both modules using the "DCS_update.exe install" command line.

Edit 2: Apparently it worked!

To install the modules you do that inside DCS top left of screen

So just to confirm, even though steam is now the same version as the standalone, there isn't/won't be compatibility between modules bought on one platform or the other? Presumably due to the different methods used for DRM. Just wondering as I'm trying to tidy up all the different versions of DCS I have and delete unnecessary files. I'm pretty sure all the modules I bought on steam are now activated in my standalone version, so is there no purpose to have DCS on steam?

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team
A question just to be clear: can I purchase a Steam module, since now there are discounts, and then activate It on my standalone dcs? And can I do It with all the modules or Just some of them? Thanks.

only DCS keys for modules releases on Steam before 12th May 2017 can be used on DCS stand alone

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So basically if you buy a recent DLC module on Steam (like the Harrier addon now on sale) you will install the Steam version of DCS World to be able to use it?

Since DCS World and addons needs quite some disk space this is not a good thing.

Also it prohibits people to combine DLC bought in the DCS store and on Steam (so no flying in Normandie with the Harrier in my case...).

I absolutely love the DCS series so I hope this oversight can be fixed!

So basically if you buy a recent DLC module on Steam (like the Harrier addon now on sale) you will install the Steam version of DCS World to be able to use it?

Since DCS World and addons needs quite some disk space this is not a good thing.

Also it prohibits people to combine DLC bought in the DCS store and on Steam (so no flying in Normandie with the Harrier in my case...).

I absolutely love the DCS series so I hope this oversight can be fixed!

It's not an oversight, it is Valves politics.

If you can convince Valve to accept other vendors activation keys or DRM in their Steam database, please do so.

I doubt ED can do anything about that.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Is It possibile to have a list of Steam modules compatible with standalone dcs? As someone said not the harrier and not the viggen too I think. Is the steam Mirage 2000 compatible? While I think there should not be problems with the f-5 and the huey...

Is the Nevada map compatibile?

Edited by nessuno0505

Is It possibile to have a list of Steam modules compatible with standalone dcs?

Not really needed, just check if the module bought from Steam has 3rd party DRM (Starforce)

attachment.php?attachmentid=182262&stc=1&d=1523209040

As someone said not the harrier and not the viggen too I think. Is the steam Mirage 2000 compatible?

As you say - No Starforce DRM, so not compatible.

While I think there should not be problems with the f-5 and the huey...

They have Starforce DRM - so have a compatible 'key' for DCS stand-alone

Is the Nevada map compatibile?

No, Nevada is a new module and the Steam version doesn't use Starforce DRM

2075764778_Steam3rdPartyDRMStarforce.JPG.1dc682027ddba1100f28ac64794ece7d.JPG

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

with steam sale going on it would be nice to update some descriptions, for example

https://store.steampowered.com/app/411891/DCS_NEVADA_Test_and_Training_Range_Map/

"This product requires the Beta version of DCS World. In order to install DCS World 2.1.1 Beta, please select to install the openalpha version from your Steam Library / Properties / BETAS window. From the “select the beta you would like to opt into:” drop down, please select the openalpha – Public alpha versions (2.x)."

may cause some confusion

• 5 months later...

Hmm. didnt know I can support ED on steam. I put the game as best VR game of the year. This category could make it.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Not really needed, just check if the module bought from Steam has 3rd party DRM (Starforce)

attachment.php?attachmentid=182262&stc=1&d=1523209040

As you say - No Starforce DRM, so not compatible.

They have Starforce DRM - so have a compatible 'key' for DCS stand-alone

No, Nevada is a new module and the Steam version doesn't use Starforce DRM

Is this still the case?

If I would buy a MiG21 I could add it to standalone.

If I would buy F/A-18 on Steam I would not be able to add it to standalone.

Is that correct?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• ED Team
Is this still the case?

If I would buy a MiG21 I could add it to standalone.

If I would buy F/A-18 on Steam I would not be able to add it to standalone.

Is that correct?

You just need to link your steam account to your dcs account

A guide and conditions can be found here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/#3303126

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 6 months later...
You just need to link your steam account to your dcs account

A guide and conditions can be found here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/#3303126

This has expired. We need a new instruction for the new Steam layout.

I have just bought the Fw190A8 on steam and cannot find the CD-Key anywhere. Could anyone help?

EDIT: I re-read everything and I have forgoten that 190A8 is key-less. I have done the transfer. Will check it works.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• 1 month later...