How come MiG29G has the same radar range as the fullblown russian version?

Kenan

Isn't the G version supposed to be downgraded to some 40km detection range?! Instead, it has the same range as the russian versions.

I remmeber a german mig pilot interview and the guy saying something about weak radar, only 40km range etc.

So, what's the catch?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

Oy vey, there they go, my horses ...

Hehe. I'm quite serious actually, from what I've read the MiG radar of that time is rather notoriously weak in many ways. And there's also the antenna size.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I really don't think it is appropriate to be comparing antenna sizes! LOL

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I really don't think it is appropriate to be comparing antenna sizes! LOL

Why not?

The N019 radar of the MiG-29 export version has the same emitter output and antenna size as the Soviet version - which in turn are the main factors determining range performance.

- JJ.

JJ

It was a joke Alfa. Lost in translation or a bad joke :)

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Hehe.....well I figured as much, but the bit about antenna size does seem relevant to Kenan´s question :)

That is - I have often seen the claim that export versions of the MiG-29 radar should be "downgraded" in terms of acquisition range, but frankly I dont see why this would be the case - considering the emitter output/antenna size factors remain the same as for the Soviet version.

So far the only radar item I have seen mentioned as being downgraded is its main processor, and that apparently only concerns the "non-Warsaw Pact" MiG-29 export version.....which the "MiG-29G" is not.

So.... :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ