Starforce: Behaviour Of Lg Multi Combo Dvd Drive Gsa - 4081b Became Erratic.

Ever since I installed "lock-on flamming cliffs" cd (w/ Starforce protection), the behaviour of my LG multi combo dvd drive, model GSA - 4081B, as become erratic.

Most of the times, when I insert a dvd, it won't start to "spin" and doesn't recognised any dvd (starts a "click - click" sound on the dvd - as if it can't start to spin, and then goes silent).

In Device manager, windows XP states that everything's fine with the drive, but it's not.

I install, disable, enable, reinstall the drive, but behaviour's the same.

I know Starforce states that starforce drivers have nothing to do, what so ever, with drives problems, but the truth is that these only emerged

since I installed LO-FC.

Can anyone help..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have uninstalled / removed both drive, IDE controllers, primary and secondary IDE channels, as suggested by Starforce's support, but the problem remained.

I then updated Starforce's drivers w/ update driver tool.

Suddenly, my Iomega ZIP drive (parallel port),

dind't respond (unlike dvd rom case, in this case Device manager stated that it couldn´t launch it!)

I removed Lockon Flamming Cliffs and unninstalled Starforce drivers (with Starforce removal tool), started XP in safe mode, and guess what, everything got back to normal. I then restarted WinXP in normal mode and everything's maintain's in order..

Starforce stated that it was just "99.9% coincidence". Quote.

Could anyone help, as I wouldn't like to pass w/out LO-FC!!

One simple solution to many problems: I myself made two partitions on my HD and installed Windows on each of them. So I have C: for all my applications and G: for games. During startup I choose whether I start the gaming-Windows from G: or the apps-Windows from C:. Drive C: doesn't bother if there's Starcrap on G:, DVD-burner working as it should and everything else fine. And on G: I have a real clean Win installation with just games and a firewall for online-gaming on it, not the millions of backround processes you usually have running and eating your performance. Well, and if the burner wouldn't work (haven't tried, because there is no burning proggi on G: of course), I wouldn't care. Burning, Virus-testing and everything is done from C:.

Maybe everyone with issues of bad performance in gaming or with drives not working probably because of any copy protection like Starcrap should give this a try. The second Windows-install itself doesn't eat that much HD space and I've never had any conflicts between the two Windows installs - apart from restoring backups with DriveImage, which took me a long and painful way to figure out how it works (but that was something between DriveImage, Norton and the NTFS-filesystem; once you know how to do it it works without problems).