The B-17

SlipBall

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was little interest during the KS campaign for the B-17... for many varied reasons I suppose, people were just not into it

I still think that there just weren't enough people..

Average funding amount comes to about $58, plus people who joined via Paypal etc.

Amount needed for B-17 would have needed about 6700 people funding the Kickstarter with that average. The current 2500 backers is just nowhere near that amount.

Let's hope once RRG has releases and solid reputation with planes to show the talent that more people would be interested in joining for further Kickstarters.

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

• 5 months later...

I dream of an upto date version of B17 The mighty eighth. I spent many many many wonderful hours on missions in that sim, yes there were problems and bugs, as there are in every flight sim. But I think they did manage to nail the crew management and the feeling of being in a multicrewed bomber.

As already mentioned. A2A simulations have already made a stunning rendition of the bomber itself and with the accusim add on its as complex as any DCS module. Now if we can combine that with a multicrewed environment in DCS World, it would be absolutely mind blowing.

Yes I know it's very very very unlikely, but hey I can dream. :)

But basically the answer is a huge YES, I would purchase a B17 in DCS World in a heartbeat.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Yes what's needed is a bomber sim with Silent Hunter style squad management. As you say B17 M8th tried it but unfortunately the project got too big and it as never finished. You need some gameplay surrounding heavy bombers to make them sufficiently interesting long term imo.

I've been in love with the Lanc since I was tiny and I'd love to see a DCS Lancaster but in truth with DCS world as it is how often would I fly it??? Maybe with upkeep mines and a map of the Ruhr... Maybe with Talboy bombs, some battleships and a map of Norway....

B17 would be beautiful! Though a more reasonable $50 would do it for me for software though it depends on the level of detail I would buy 2 just to support and have another one on my other account for a friend:thumbup::pilotfly:

Edited by thinkr

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

For 100 USD I would at least expect a physical box with DVD and some extras. Extrals like an oily cotton cloth ... for simulating the smell. :o)

This from the guy who defended EDs cutting of the rewards for kickstarter backers.

:music_whistling: Couldn't resist.

Good Grief

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know how having 4 engines will affect the framerate online... I hope we'll still be able to form up big wings and go bomb some stuff while trying not to get murdered by FW190s.

I hope ED will make the B-17 flyable once all the DCS WWII birds are done. That would be a logical (and probably very profitable) next step.

• 2 weeks later...

AI B-17 will be allright for a good start, as long as it doesn't have damage modeling compared to An-30. Yesterday I flew "Intercept" mission for F-86 and tried to force An-30 to emergency landing by setting its right engine on fire. I did it, then it used fire extinguisher, so I began pumpin' .50 rounds in this engine from the point blank range again... and again... and again... and again. After scoring 648 (yes, you read it right, six hundred forty eight) hits/points/whatever the number in debriefing means, I ran out of ammo while the An-30 flew home :D :D :D. Now, THAT was a "Flying Fortress".

Gotta loooooove AI DM in DCS, don't ya?!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
AI B-17 will be allright for a good start, as long as it doesn't have damage modeling compared to An-30. Yesterday I flew "Intercept" mission for F-86 and tried to force An-30 to emergency landing by setting its right engine on fire. I did it, then it used fire extinguisher, so I began pumpin' .50 rounds in this engine from the point blank range again... and again... and again... and again. After scoring 648 (yes, you read it right, six hundred forty eight) hits/points/whatever the number in debriefing means, I ran out of ammo while the An-30 flew home :D :D :D. Now, THAT was a "Flying Fortress".

Gotta loooooove AI DM in DCS, don't ya?!

Do you think your shots registered all in the same place?

If it is truly hit points based, you probably long went over the maximum amount of points to damage that engine, and after that it was probably you pumping bullets into a dead part. If you get my meaning.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I hope ED will make the B-17 flyable once all the DCS WWII birds are done. That would be a logical (and probably very profitable) next step.

granted, i would like to see this as well, so dont get me wrong :D

question:

atm the VA server i.e. has 32 max players.

at least for me that was a problem from time to time, lag, fps, you know that stuff (although i noticed great FPS improvments on the current beta patch).

so lets see:

if the 17 is modeled for all 10 crewmembers, and you have i.e. 6 B-17 airborne, 4 mustangs and lets say 8 109/190, that would make 72 players, if the 17's are totaly human.

i dont think that all b-17's would be full with 10 human players, but IF, can the network code etc handle it?

i hope so, would be interesting, but who knows the limitations in the future? ;)

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Do you think your shots registered all in the same place?

If it is truly hit points based, you probably long went over the maximum amount of points to damage that engine, and after that it was probably you pumping bullets into a dead part. If you get my meaning.

Yes, that explanation sounds plausible and I understand these are probably limitations of current code. It just felt "a bit" awkward ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 3 weeks later...

If the tactics are to be taken seriously, ai bombers will not suffice.

It can be made possible. It's the one thing I feel might save the gen re. Realistic combat missions or campaigns. Real tactics. Ai has always been poor at best. We will need real bomber pilots.

So sell us bombers. We will buy.

This is when dcs will make serious $. When this happens.

I agree. An accurately modelled DCS:heavy would be a huge thing for this sim. That said we'd also need much bigger maps in order to use them properly...

But as an interim step, how about a DCS:Mitchell? Or perhaps a Havoc?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Highly doubtful IMHO.

Much bigger market for single seat tactical aircraft, than there will ever be for bomber flying.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.