Q: HADB out of a circle orbit

Demo

I am trying to do a 45 degree HADB with MK82 bombs out of a circle orbit.

I have a hard time to determine the orbit radius / altitude / speed.

When I am flying towards the target:

1) At what altitude do I have to set up the circle orbit?

2) What radius, and how much bank do I use to stay in orbit at the same radius all the time?

3) What speed do I need?

(Pickle altitude around 6000ft - 7000ft)

Edited by Demo

I am trying to do a 45 degree HADB with MK82 bombs out of a circle orbit.

I have a hard time to determine the orbit radius / altitude / speed.

When I am flying towards the target:

1) At what altitude and distance do I have to turn to set up the circle orbit?

2) What radius, and how much bank do I use to stay in orbit at the same radius all the time?

3) What speed do I need?

(Pickle altitude around 6000ft - 7000ft)

How many weapons are you releasing in the string, and what base/release airspeed are you looking for?

Also if you know it, what is the target elevation?

What is a HADB? Never heard of HADB. Neither did google nor wikipedia.

High Altitude Dive Bomb

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

How many weapons are you releasing in the string, and what base/release airspeed are you looking for?

Also if you know it, what is the target elevation?

Base around 12000ft. Just SGL MK82 release, release airspeed no more than 375kts. No, info on target elevation.

Thx

Edited by Demo

Here you go. All altitudes to be used as AGL.

82_45HA1.png

As for bank angle to maintain base dist, that'll just be a judgement in the cockpit as it'll vary by airspeed etc.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Thanks, already one part of the answers!

I am struggling to stay in orbit at a constant radius.

At the moment:

12000ft AGL, radius around 2.0nM with a bank of 50 degrees. (Tgt in TGP + EOT)

Speed is around 250-280kts in orbit.

The best for now!

Thanks, already one part of the answers!

I am struggling to stay in orbit at a constant radius.

At the moment:

12000ft AGL, radius around 2.0nM with a bank of 50 degrees. (Tgt in TGP + EOT)

Speed is around 250-280kts in orbit.

The best for now!

Check your options setting to make sure you keys are mapped correctly. When in flight, start in the orbit which you want to be in, keeping the plane flying level within the orbit loop and engage orbit. It will remain in that orbit setting until you disengage the orbit through your keyboard or your hotas.

Check your options setting to make sure you keys are mapped correctly. When in flight, start in the orbit which you want to be in, keeping the plane flying level within the orbit loop and engage orbit. It will remain in that orbit setting until you disengage the orbit through your keyboard or your hotas.

When you write "level", you mean "banked to achieve radius/turn-rate, didn't you?

I suggest you research basic flight training, specifically turns around a point. To maintain a constant radius around a fixed point on the ground your bank angle will need to constantly change as a result of the constant change in your ground speed.

The long and the short of it is you will need to have the shallowest bank angle when you have a direct headwind and you will have the steepest bank angle when your have a direct tailwind. All other bank angle will be in between these two values.

I suggest you research basic flight training, specifically turns around a point. To maintain a constant radius around a fixed point on the ground your bank angle will need to constantly change as a result of the constant change in your ground speed.

The long and the short of it is you will need to have the shallowest bank angle when you have a direct headwind and you will have the steepest bank angle when your have a direct tailwind. All other bank angle will be in between these two values.

Good point.

Also remember that while in alt-hold mode you'll still get blown around by the wind, so if you want to keep your orbit centered over a target, you're going to need to do some corrections for that as well.

Agreed - I find that setting up the orbit with the orbit centre-point fixed on a selected visual ground reference just ahead of the wing works very well.

Then just adjust speed to maintain the reference point's relative position: if it moves back towards the wing slow down, if it moves forwards away from the wing, speed up. Practice and you will be amazed at how good you become! :thumbup:

Alpine Systems PC with Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40/3.70 GHz. NVidia GTX590 Graphics. 24 Gb RAM (24 Gb usable!). 64 bit. Windows 7 PRO SP1. 3 x Samsung P2370 monitors. Thrustmaster HOTAS. TrackIR5. :joystick: